General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I am not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this subject?
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

...what is the subject?
lucy_san_elfenlied

Post by lucy_san_elfenlied »

Maybe the topic is 2012? The future?
kgwitch

Post by kgwitch »

That's when the olympics are happening in London. Is that what you mean?
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

2012 has significance because it is the end of the Mayan Calendar,New Agers have seized upon this as an ominous time and it's grown since.There are lots of conspiracy theories and urban legends which have grown around this as a concept.Some Christian fundies think it's going to be the start of 'the rapture'. I'll go find some info. on this soonish.Back in a bit.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Eretik wrote:Some Christian fundies think it's going to be the start of 'the rapture'
...we're screwed.
Elven555

Post by Elven555 »

:lol:
Earth my body, water my blood,
Air my breath and fire my spirit
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

"2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.
The book 2012: Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by disembodied entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars. However, some Mayan priests living and working in Guatemala assert that there is no legitimacy to this theory.
The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.
The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) that will allow the third Antichrist to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a possible nuclear war, although in the strictest sense it is unspecific as to nuclear war or some other natural or man caused destruction.
The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.
The 2005 book Beyond 2012: Catastrophe or Ecstasy by Geoff Stray reviews several theories, prophecies and predictions concerning 2012 and finds where authors have used faulty information or have bent the truth to fit their theories.
The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
The 2007 book Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End by Lawrence Joseph does not make any specific new predictions, but it reviews a number of 2012 predictions made by various sources, and presents arguments for the possible existence of dangerous positive feedback loops involving solar storms, Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays, hurricanes, global warming, earthquakes, and supervolcanoes that may be on the verge of erupting.
Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

Terence McKenna's mathematical novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012. [13][14][15]
Some alien-enthusiasts (e.g. Riley Martin), along with some new-agers, believe 2012 to correspond approximately with the return of alien "watchers" or "caretakers" who might have helped the first human civilizations with developing their technology and may have been waiting for us to reach a higher level of technological and/or social advancement. Beliefs range from the extra-terrestrials having benevolent purposes — such as to help human society evolve — to malevolent purposes — such as enslavement of mankind and/or manipulation.
There is a Hindu following indicating the appearance of an Avatar (God in human form) with God-like powers who will herald a new age. A website to this effect appears at: End of the World 2012. "From Wikipedia.

Some sites to peruse.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/2012

http://www.2012predictions.net/

http://www.december212012.com/articles/news/index.shtml
sunstoneleo

Post by sunstoneleo »

I own almost every 2012 book there is, doesn't mean i read them all, well about half each book. Gaia 2012 was a little strange. I heard that a psychic predicted that yellowstone will erupt before 2012, any thoughts? in fact, i was just there in June. I had fun. My first trip out of the Midwest!
Anyways.... I think we are due for another catastrophe. Not saying it's a good thing, but I can somewhat feel it coming.
kgwitch

Post by kgwitch »

Well, not sure weather I beleave or not. Bu I sure aint spending the next 5 years worrying about it
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

While I'm not going to bash anyone's intuitive sense of what may be, I'm always skeptical of people who know exactly when something's going to happen.

To quote a rather famous and timely source: If these shadows remain unchanged... After all, if someone has a vision, the future that they saw has already altered slightly. Then, they publish a book. Then people read that book. Even if it's a tiny number, like say, 1000 people buy and read that book, you've made an impact on the future. Those people might decide to do different things based on that information, even if they don't consciously decide based on that info.

Now, it's questionable how that would effect things like the advent of natural disasters, but the idea still stands. Maybe, since those or that individual made such and so a decision, that the natural disaster itself would never have to happen. Or maybe it was never actually going to happen in the first place...just given as a means for said 50 people to think about what they are doing with their future. Who knows?
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

A Christian friend of mine battered my head with the subject for a loooong time. She said that yes, the apocalypse will be upon us.

Anyone else living a deja-vu? People said that in the year 2000 we will also live the apocalypse. People here started to live in cars because they were afraid of an earthquake. I, as the nice person that I am, told them that if they were meant to die, a tree would fall over them, so "not to worry"

It wasn't a Mayan calendar based affirmation, a prophecy or visions, but a lot of people thought that it was it. If we were to listen to all the prophecies, we wouldn't be able to live at all.
You may even choke on a peanut, or trip on your shoes laces and fall head first into a UFO...
Whatever may happen, the statement stands "Carpe Diem" because if we really are destined to die, we will without the need of a cataclysm.

(Did that sound too harsh? Sorry, I had a bad day)
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: 2012

Post by LaFiamma »

EarthWitch wrote:I am not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this subject?
The Mayan calendar is cyclical. It will start over again. Nothing catastrophic. (Actually, the Mayans had a couple of different calendars, all cyclical)
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts. I just saw a documentary on this topic, and wondered what others thoughts were. I liked your comment Sobek...it made me laugh. But on a serious note, we are screwed if we don't change the way we treat our Mother Earth, though....

My feeling is that if it is, it is.

With all the apocalyptic things on TV lately" asteriods hitting us, comets hitting us, gamma rays, sunspots, volcanoes, plagues, famine....anyone could get a little paranoid...hehe

Thanks again for all the great info!
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

Weird..I was planning on posting a topic about this and when I logged on I saw that someone beat me to it! :lol:

Anyways, I don't really believe that something as big as the destruction of Earth will happen on that day. If it does end up happening, it won't be natural causes, but because the human race has destroyed itself.

Also, if something natural were to happen (but I seriously doubt this) that would end the human race, I would think that the higher being would do something to save our bums from such a thing.

I think the thing that confuses me the most is the fact that all those prophets have all gotten the same date: December 21, 2012. They all guessed fires, the end of the human race, and suffering all on that date. Some Christians believe it to be 'judgment day', but that makes less sense to me. You would think that that day would be very peaceful.

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”