Spells for Teenage Witches

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
KaidaPyralis

Spells for Teenage Witches

Post by KaidaPyralis »

Has anyone read this? I saw the title in the local bookshop and wondered if anyone can tell me if it's more than the sort of standard teen "fluff". Thanks.

Kaida
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

the marina baker one or something like that?

I found a review of it...
http://www.ecauldron.com/bksftw.php

but the spells in it become in essence useless i wouldnt bother with it.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I usually try to stay away from any Wiccan books with the word "Teen" in them. I find them much to fluffy and focus on some of the more redundant things. I've seen only spells on silly things in these books like "How to get a guy to call you" or "Spell for a fun bus ride". I don't dabble in simple things like this. I think magick and spells are more sacred than that.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

When I was a teen we didn't *have* special teen witch stuff. We got along just fine, thank you very much. Don't bother.
KaidaPyralis

Post by KaidaPyralis »

Thanks all, think I'll leave it.

Kaida
kgwitch

Post by kgwitch »

Oh, I got this when I first got into wicca. I loved it at the time and the a few of the spells definitely work.

From it, I would recomend the:
-Rain spell
-Bully Freeze spell
-Green finger spell

Other than that, this book can be a tad childish. I've pretty much grown out of it now... I'm a teenager but I'm a lot mor experienced now. So it's not a bad read for young beginners. :wink:
Spell_of_The_Isle

Post by Spell_of_The_Isle »

While I agree with Wolfheart, and say that modern witchcraft has stemmed from something very sacred and powerful, it's been modified and changed through the years, sometimes becoming nothing near what it used to be, although we always see the same tactics used. IE: Candles.

I would think that while the book promotes nothing that a lot of the older witches and newer (Beliefs vary.) hold firm, that it could be used to solve problems for a witch new to the craft, who is still an adolescent. Afterall, everybody needs to start and learn somewhere.
"If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were
supposed to be bringing." — Julie Cuccia Watts
LonelyAngel13
Location: Cair Paravel in Narnia practising Runes with Skandar!

Post by LonelyAngel13 »

I have this book! It's quite good for beginners and deals with pretty much everything needed. Except love spells, which is wise.

Some of the spells don't need items, they are just chants and have worked for me. It's a good read and hardly breaks the bank.
XunderXtheXmoonX

Post by XunderXtheXmoonX »

Wolf Heart wrote:I usually try to stay away from any Wiccan books with the word "Teen" in them. I find them much to fluffy and focus on some of the more redundant things. I've seen only spells on silly things in these books like "How to get a guy to call you" or "Spell for a fun bus ride". I don't dabble in simple things like this. I think magick and spells are more sacred than that.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
i agree. :)
LonelyAngel13
Location: Cair Paravel in Narnia practising Runes with Skandar!

Post by LonelyAngel13 »

Wolf Heart wrote:
I usually try to stay away from any Wiccan books with the word "Teen" in them. I find them much to fluffy and focus on some of the more redundant things. I've seen only spells on silly things in these books like "How to get a guy to call you" or "Spell for a fun bus ride". I don't dabble in simple things like this. I think magick and spells are more sacred than that.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart

i agree.
I disagree. It's not the standard stuff that just tries to pawn you off with spells that don't work at all as they haven't given you the right chants or pre-spell ritual.

Some of it's quite complicated and sophisticated.
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

Can anyone tell me why the craft would be different for teenz than for adults?

I mean, come on...I wurk with kidz, teenz that would buy a book in this genre have bought the lie.

No offense to anyone else posting...but most of the teens I know choke on bullshyt marketing like this.

Thet
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I've seen it too. A spell is a spell, same with ritual, etc. It is not age specific. The only thing these books try to do is give spells they think the average teenager could use "bully freeze" is a perfect example. Generally there more simple, requiring less ingredients. This is just the facts. And marketing is horrible for duping the young >.<Thank>,>
wiccandancer

Post by wiccandancer »

This is the very first book that started me on the path, but I do agree it can be very childish. I find it wearing when I read books like that now. I remember seeing some of it and soaking it up. The writer did mention the responsiblity of Magick. give her credit she does.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”