North Node? South Node?

General questions and conversations about astrology.
jcrowfoot

North Node? South Node?

Post by jcrowfoot »

I have read some stuff about the Nodes, but I still don't understand them. Assume for a Birth Chart, just to shorten things a bit.
Chris, you explain things pretty well. Give me a taste of nodes as you understand them. I'd appretiate that! Thanks!
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Hello jcrowfoot,

The nodes are crucial for karmic astrology. Those who prefer more Western style astrology make little useful associations of the nodes. To really understand the impact of the nodes one presupposes a belief in re-incarnation (which is not done in the West too often). Quite simply, the south node indicates areas in previous lives where you either failed or triumphed--it matters not--because it is about the area or energy that was prodominant for that life. For instance, someone with south node in the 1st house spent their last incarnation or two pouring energy into their ego and sense of self that, in turn, may have negatively impacted other souls invovled with that life.

Thus, we turn the North Node--that is the way out of that previous karma. The north node will always be polar opposite of the South--so in this case, the north node for the current life is in the 7th house of partnership, sharing and communion with others. Thus, that is the overall karmic goal for this life--to meaningfully abandon selfish motive in favor of sharing with others. Like "nature," the soul seeks balance over the long term project of material incarnations. The nodes reflect this balacing agent in the universe.

The nodes are known as the "dragon's head" and "dragon's tail" of the Moon and in India they are famously called Rahu and Ketu. If you begin working specifically with nodes in order to understand your own karmic patterns, then you will most likely consciously begin the journey toward the north node. If the south node is heavily aspected with something like a Moon, Mars or Sun sign, then it is likely that it will take a lot (i.e more than one life) to get the person moving away from their "comfort zone" in the south. Most people begin demonstrating the transition between the south node toward the north in their late 30's--the early part of most people's lives are prodominantly south nodal in the sense that the soul memory will adopt what it is most used to. Half a lifetime will hopefully bring enough wisdom to help one to begin moving toward the North. . .The North node will gently spur you toward the overcoming of the previous karmic pattern. Of course, one can intitiate the transition earlier depending on the state of soul, but typically the nodes are very long term signs that demand patience and constant re-interpretation. At bottom, the North node is the overall life goal.

Let me know if there is more I can do to help and thanks for the question.

Blessings,
bsp
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Thank you Chris! That's much clearer than some of the stuff I was reading. The writer actually never explained the determination for his information about the nodes, only stated what he thought. It was very frustrating.

My North Node is in the sixth house. My South Node is in the 12th.
The moon is also in my twelth house, and Pluto is doing interesting things (a fairly dead on sextile) with my north Node. So does this mean that doing spiritual stuff in this life is going backward? My last (human) life wasn't very spiritual at all.
In fact, it ended rather quickly and badly and I spent an interim life as a crow.
The funny thing is, while the hindus would call it punishment, being a crow was a welcome break from the worries of being human. It was a crash course in "just be".

I've been feeling stagnant and like "I'm not doing something important" lately and I wondered if it was past-life related.
How does the sixth house relate to this? That I should be working on the practical (humdrum!) this cycle? Health, ok. I get it. Maybe a healer?

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”