My New Rune Stones

Discussion of runes.
Sobek
Banned Member

My New Rune Stones

Post by Sobek »

A friend of mine bought me a beautiful set of jade rune stones for my birthday and i thought i'd share a couple of pictures of them

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5363/1000087ig3.jpg
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8144/1000088bi4.jpg

tell me what ya think.

i realise these pictures a VERY large so if you browser has the functionality please look at the scaled down the quality is alot better.
Deirdre

Post by Deirdre »

I think they look really beautiful :)
* ~ * Deirdre * ~ *

Just waiting for my mind to catch up with me.
Baratoz

Post by Baratoz »

They are very nice!
Shadow_Kitten

Post by Shadow_Kitten »

Hey, those are cool!

I want some Hematite ones for myself. Maybe Moonstone.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol, i'd love a hematite set, and a nice platinum set...*initiate drooling*
Broken2nite

Post by Broken2nite »

their beautiful! i love jade!
[ravenwing]

Post by [ravenwing] »

<<<---- HAS Hematite Runes, and I can special order them as well. They absolutely are as awesome as you might think........

Your new ones are fabulous though!
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Those are lovely, Sobek. I like the fact that they are carved flat, rather than on tumbled stones. While the tumbled ones are OK, too many makers tend to sort the stones badly and put the runes on stones that don't fit well in your hand, or you have to look all over the stone to find your rune.

I also find it interesting how the colors vary per the runes. Some of the individual stones are on more yellow stones, some are more green and some are more white. I have heard that the runes that are painted green are better for healing, and are more aspected for Freya, rather than Odin, who prefers red runes. Don't know how you feel about this.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

I like the flat aspect too.
Jcrowfoot wrote:Some of the individual stones are on more yellow stones, some are more green and some are more white.
while thats true, lighting was bad and my camera exaggerated the colours a little lol, the differences arent so strong but still very visible if you take any notice. i love that though, gives them a little personality/individuality.
Jcrowfoot wrote:I have heard that the runes that are painted green are better for healing, and are more aspected for Freya, rather than Odin, who prefers red runes. Don't know how you feel about this.
I hadn't heard that, but it's interesting enough to do a little research into. And im not bothered by it, they were a gift, which i love very much.
[Ebony Rose]

Post by [Ebony Rose] »

jcrowfoot wrote:Those are lovely, Sobek. I like the fact that they are carved flat, rather than on tumbled stones. While the tumbled ones are OK, too many makers tend to sort the stones badly and put the runes on stones that don't fit well in your hand, or you have to look all over the stone to find your rune.
Very true. I have a set of amethyst rune stones and the pieces are very unfriendly.

I actually acquired them because the lady who had them originally couldn't read them. When she sent them to me I could see why she was having problems. First she was unfamiliar with the rune symbols. Second, the stones did not come with a guide of any sort so she had no way of knowing what the runes meant. Third, the markings were so horrible it looked like a child tried painting on the stones. It took me a while before I could sort some of the symbols out.

I would love to have a flat set but my daughter ran off with mine. :wink:
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I have had a number of rune sets over the years... both stone and wood. I'm fairly happy with the bone rune set I have right now... I wish the pieces were bigger, though. I have some tagua nut that I may carve into a new rune set to make myself. I really enjoy making them, though the last wood set I made were really hard on my hands. (But then, I insisted that I was going to make them entirely without power tools... so maybe it served me right :) )

My favorite stone set were some very well sorted and flat river stones with runes painted very artistically in green and white. Unfortunately, rune pieces tend to run off on me. This is why hand-made by me appeals... if I manage to keep the materials around, and a piece goes AWOL, I can just re-make the piece that runs off. :-)

My gem stone set was made of that light purple stone studded with mica that's not aventurine, though it look like it. I can't remember the name of that stone right now. :( The runes were engraved and painted silver, and *most* of the stones were nicely shaped, though there were a few that took multiple tries to find the rune. Those managed to stick by me the longest, but they lost two when push came to shove.

What do you folks think of a plastic rune set? I have a friend who's visually impaired, and I a number of large, uniform plastic pieces I was thinking of carving runes on for that one. Tagua would probably be better, but to get runes the size I am thinking of I'd have to use one nut per two runes, and only use BIG tagua nuts.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

most of the rune kit's i see come with plastic, i dont favour them but i see nothing wrong with using them, could you not make a ceramic set or something?

Return to “Runes”