Explaining Goddess and Goddesses

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
LC

Explaining Goddess and Goddesses

Post by LC »

This probably makes me look stupid and I feel like an idiot. How do I explain the Goddess and her Maiden, Mother and Crone to someone who who follows just 1 God like in Christianity. Such as how she came to be, if that makes sense.
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
Corbin

Re: Explaining Goddess and Goddesses

Post by Corbin »

(personal opinions only) There are many tacts you may take... I would advise against getting into any kind of theological dispute at all. Having no book or dogma it's essentially about the individuals developing a relationship with the universe. A thinking Christian would perhaps equate this with a faith as opposed to a religion?

The Triple Goddess (and her hidden fourth face), That they are essentially aspects, facets or "faces" of a singular holistic force; a mirror to nature perhaps? Waxing, Abundant and Waning and in darkness, returning from darkness - the cycles of nature in all their positive and negative aspects?

It's hard to argue against a dogma built on absolutes, on a written word (though in truth Christians were arguing just these things for centuries) . Sadly the "God" many people cleave to is more like the gnostic demiurge or "God's Ego"... But the God they feel Abundant and within in all things, what we call the Goddess disguised in the rainments of a man.

Tacere.
_

Having in the past to explain the Goddess and the god, I tend to default to layers of psychological terms; the Goddess as the objective universe (the very holistic side of duality; the whole or "the soul") which changes face/aspect but endures and the god as the subjective individual multiplicitous facets the whole "the individual spirits" (which are born, live, die and echoing and returning in other forms).
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I refer to a multi-faceted diamond...one stone with many faces, each one unique & individual but also a side of the One.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Corbin wrote:I would advise against getting into any kind of theological dispute at all.
What Corbin said.
But apart from that, Christians should be able to understand, having the same concept in their religion too - the three aspects of God - Father, Son and Holy ghost.
P.S. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. ;)
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Isn't it a bit like the holy trinity?
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are triple Gods and Goddesses in many cultures. Most going along the idea birth/child, adult/creator, aged/renewal.
Hindusim has Trimurti.
Brigid and Morrigan have three faces/sisters usually with 3 distinct talents. Both Hecate and Freya are considered in a triple aspect in that they have dominion over three realms. Underworld, earth and the heavens.
And yea, what Corbin said.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”