Signs of the Seasons

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Signs of the Seasons

Post by SpiritTalker »

In rural areas the seasonal changes have far different visual signs than in urban areas. Leaves are changing colors and falling in the northern hemisphere, and buds are forming in the southern hemisphere.

In my area, there are recognizable signs of current seasonal changes:

Motorcycles are silenced as it's too cold to be buzzing around in the wind. Their sounds are replaced with the sounds of municipal leaf sweeping equipment moving fallen leaves from the gutters, and the giant vacuum machines follow and suck them up on sunny days. Rain brings these efforts to a standstill. Wet leaves cannot be moved so maintenance workers have a narrow window of opportunity. There's a tension as seasons morph.

Baseball and football battle for supremacy like the Holly and Oak Kings, or Stag and Wolf. Baseball dies, surrendering all for the good of the fans, and the football king takes the reins for his half of the year.

Lawn mowers fall slowly silent as each household judges the length of the grass on their lawn, to determine if it's worth one last run until frost. My crazy rose bush throws caution to the wind and buds with full blooms to sneak in one last hurrah. Roses! In November.

Small birds are migrating, but the Canada Geese sit tight on the ponds in the parks. When the geese leave, you can bet on snow the next week. But today the sun is brilliant, the sky turquoise, and the air crisp. Golden leaves still cling to their trees to taunt the municipal sweeper.

What are the signs where you live?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Signs of the Seasons

Post by SnowCat »

Let's see, we have Canada geese and motorcycles year round. We also Christmas decorations competing for space with Halloween decorations after October 1. We do see leaves changing color, and the evening news reports on snow making at the ski resorts. I suppose I shouldn't forget the plethora of orange and blue seen at the grocery stores on the weekends.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

My doves feathers are thickening and the turtles are digging their winter holes.
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Thitabe

Post by Thitabe »

Well, let's see. I live in Ft Worth Texas and we are currently at 2-1/2" above normal rain fall for the year and 1-1/4" above for the month and we aren't even 1/2 way into the month yet. My lawn is still green and still needs to be mowed at least once a month. Most of the trees on my property still have their leaves although they are getting bare. Last year a snow and ice storm came in the day before Thanksgiving, so it'll be interesting to see how this winter pans out.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

We had frost on the fence tops last night, but not yet down to the ground, so the earth is still warm...but I'm not running bare foot! I just now snipped the 5 pink roses and made a nice bouquet. Roses in mid-November! Amazing.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”