Drawing Down the Moon?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drawing Down the Moon?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hello everyone! I'm working with a circle/coven and one thing I realize we have never quite done is the Drawing Down the Moon ritual. I've seen instructions for it a couple of times, but I've been told that it's one of those things that you should learn from an experienced priest or priestess directly. However, since everyone in the group has been self-taught and haven't had that much experience with other serious groups, we're flying a little blind.

Does anyone here have previous experience with drawing down the moon? I'd love to hear how you did it and what that was like, or anything that we should know of ahead of time.

Thanks! : )
Xiao
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drawing Down the Moon?

Post by Firebird »

Hi Xiao!
This I believe can be looked at in several ways as it would seem it means different things to different groups.

Some would say if you call to a Goddess to join you in your group, that is essentially a drawing down. Then there is those who say the difference is in the call...are you evoking a particular essence or feeling? or is the action more like invoking that would essentially request the Goddess join the circle in esoteric form.
Then there is the action our group uses which we call Aspecting. In this practice one of the group members, usually a high Priest or Priestess, calls the God or Goddess to embody one of the coveners. That person will be in their 3rd year of study before this is attempted. The vessel should have had a ritual bath and have eaten only lightly during that day. Some people remain standing while the God or Goddess is called into them, but most prefer to sit. A fine throne decorated with the things that appeal to the deity help to futher that endeavor. Additionally many say they are not feeling like they could be mobile during the event. Then the covener is able to oracle for the group. To bring someone back, many thanks gifts and offerings are made to the deity while requesting they release said person. Immediatly feed bread or some other grounding food and water to she or he who acted as the vessel. Have them get on the ground and fully release any lingering energy. Ask them a few qualifying questions to make sure they are fully back in their body.

Recently we have been putting a bowl of water placed on the ground so it then can viewed from a particular angle where the moon can be seen reflected in the water. Moon on the ground!! it's really cool you should try it out. Simple drawing down. loveface

Hope that helps a bit. I would be interested also to hear how others have done this.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi FF, this is really helpful information! I like all of these suggestions, although the Aspecting sounds really difficult (I see what you mean about why it would be important for the vessel to be quite well-trained). I love the idea of the moon on the ground too!

I feel like our group doesn't do very much with deities (except in a very generic sense with the God and the Goddess), and I would love for us to form some kind of deep, meaningful connection to guide our work. I'm finding that rituals without that feel a little hollow without it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

The water on the ground is a really great skrying tool. Perhaps a little ritual within a ritual to make some emphasis on the bowl of water maybe using flowers with some sort of gauzy or lacy adornment around the bowl. Designated a bowl bearer who could ceremoniously place it amongst the floral wreath, anyone talelnted in music could play a tune, then have someone to either speak off the cuff or from a written poem to the Goddess of the moon. Ask that she fill the bowl with her presence. Then request of the Goddess the knowledge of her will for you.
Thanks by all each who partake in viewing her with incense or other offering.
Just some thoughts.
Merry May Moon!!! :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have just read a first hand description of aspecting Frig at walkingthehedge.net and would recommend it for reading. It really tells it like is is, and what it feels like to experience it. Probably you are already beyond this, but it may be of interest to newBs.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ooo, thank you Spirit Talker that was a real good read.
http://walkingthehedge.net/hedge/the-he ... hurricane/
The one thing the writer didn't mention is the use of any grounding food, or any other grounding method for the vessel. In my experience solid grounding is very essential after such work. Though it would appear as though the group singing at the end was the typical course for their tradition, which may be all they need.
Many may still experience a bit of spaceyness for some time afterwards even with good grounding.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

FF, oh, that's a beautiful suggestion about the bowl on the ground adorned with flowers! And SpiritTalker, I read that article -- very cool (although kind of intimidating, haha). That's really helpful to know what the experience is like.

I once read that there are a bunch of different stages in trance. Normally you're in the driver's seat of the car, metaphorically speaking. The lightest stage of possession is when the deity/spirit is in the passenger seat beside you, giving advice, but you've still got the wheel. The next stage is when the deity has the wheel, and you're in the passenger seat (but you can grab the wheel if needed). The third stage is when the deity has the wheel, and you're in the backseat: you know what's going on but you're not in control anymore. The deepest stage (full possession) is when the deity has the wheel and you're in the trunk: no control or awareness of what's happening! Sounds like what was going on in that article about Frig was that Frig had the wheel, and the author was in the backseat.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Xiao Rong wrote: I once read that there are a bunch of different stages in trance. Normally you're in the driver's seat of the car, metaphorically speaking. The lightest stage of possession is when the deity/spirit is in the passenger seat beside you, giving advice, but you've still got the wheel. The next stage is when the deity has the wheel, and you're in the passenger seat (but you can grab the wheel if needed). The third stage is when the deity has the wheel, and you're in the backseat: you know what's going on but you're not in control anymore. The deepest stage (full possession) is when the deity has the wheel and you're in the trunk: no control or awareness of what's happening!
I think your metaphor is confused between what a trance is, and what spirit possession is. From experience, all of these 'stages' you have written about can be experienced from the same level of trance.

Simply put, a trance is only a state of mind. Usually one of focused concentration and empty-mindedness. The depth of trance depends on how far removed your consciousness is from the physical body. Even in a light trance, you can draw down the moon.

Some traditions say in basic occult anatomy that the eyes are positive, and the rest of the body is negative. If you're able to resonate your eyes correctly with the moon, you'll open a gateway between the two of you like an electric current -- and I think this is the most difficult part to understand theoretically. The eyes are the windows to the soul, sort of thinking.

Obviously, proper mental, astral and physical protection is necessary when you open yourself to anything/anyone like this.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Corvidus, that's very helpful, thanks! What you're saying makes a lot of sense about spirit possession being distinct from trance. Can you talk a little more about what it means to resonate your eyes with the moon?

Thanks!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think I may have experienced something with the eyes/moon thing. One full moon, Some years ago I was standing under the cedar tree in my backyard, staring up at the moon; soaking in it's rays, literally pulling the moon light energy into my eyes. It physically felt like it. Locked on. It produced a state of ecstasy, awe, profound communion in which I was suspended...for all I know, I was floating OOB...and then i dropped slowly to my knees, in a state of humility within the Presence of Her.

Only happened the one time. I'll never forget it.

The simple rite I did was charging my wand in moonlight. I then pointed the fat end at the moon, and the pointy end at my heart, with a vague thought of filling my heart with light. Then I just stared at the moon, intensely. No words or anything fancy.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Cool SpiritTalker :)

Reminds me of how the word "Lunacy" came about haha
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Or lunatic :evilwitch:

But, ya, the moon is gracious to fools.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

SpiritTalker, what a lovely experience. It's amazing how sometimes even simply basking in the moonlight without a formal ceremony can be such a profound moment.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Outright Lunacy and being wired to the moon :D
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
gittejohnsen11

Post by gittejohnsen11 »

firebirdflys wrote:Hi Xiao!
This I believe can be looked at in several ways as it would seem it means different things to different groups.

Some would say if you call to a Goddess to join you in your group, that is essentially a drawing down. Then there is those who say the difference is in the call...are you evoking a particular essence or feeling? or is the action more like invoking that would essentially request the Goddess join the circle in esoteric form.
Then there is the action our group uses which we call Aspecting. In this practice one of the group members, usually a high Priest or Priestess, calls the God or Goddess to embody one of the coveners. That person will be in their 3rd year of study before this is attempted. The vessel should have had a ritual bath and have eaten only lightly during that day. Some people remain standing while the God or Goddess is called into them, but most prefer to sit. A fine throne decorated with the things that appeal to the deity help to futher that endeavor. Additionally many say they are not feeling like they could be mobile during the event. Then the covener is able to oracle for the group. To bring someone back, many thanks gifts and offerings are made to the deity while requesting they release said person. Immediatly feed bread or some other grounding food and water to she or he who acted as the vessel. Have them get on the ground and fully release any lingering energy. Ask them a few qualifying questions to make sure they are fully back in their body.

Recently we have been putting a bowl of water placed on the ground so it then can viewed from a particular angle where the moon can be seen reflected in the water. Moon on the ground!! it's really cool you should try it out. Simple drawing down. loveface

Hope that helps a bit. I would be interested also to hear how others have done this.
Bb, Firebird

Sent fra min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”