How to Celebrate Lughnasadh

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Oakheart

How to Celebrate Lughnasadh

Post by Oakheart »

I have never celebrated Lughnasadh before. I typically stick to Samhain and Yule, as imbalanced as it might be, because of the festive nature of these holidays. Lughnasadh is associated with the first harvest of the year, but as an avid gardener my plants did not fair too well this year with all of the cold weather in the northeast. Anyways, I would like to start celebrating all of the holidays, including Lughnasadh, but I am not sure how to go about it. I have not been able to find any useful information on the Internet, and all of my books make very scarce references, as if it is one of the least important of the holidays.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: How to Celebrate Lughnasadh

Post by SnowCat »

I am also a Samhain and Yule person. When I worked night shift at a hospital, some years ago, I would bring in holiday related food for each holiday. Night shift at a hospital tends to end up being food oriented because from about midnight to four, there really isn't much going on unless it's in the ER.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

This will be my first time celebrating Lammas as well. :)

These websites helped me. Hopefully they'll be informative for you too!

http://www.goddessandgreenman.co.uk/lammas
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/RitesAndRituals/

Blessings!
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I like to bake bread, burn a lot of sandalwood incense, pick blackberries, and have a picnic by the creek behind my house. That day is also when I spruce up the crab apple tree in my front yard. I always eat one pear and plant the seed. Also, if you have a carnelian amulet, you should wear that.

Lammas is also known as the feast of bread. So lots of grains. Lammas actually mean "loaf-mas", so it's basically a day for newly baked bread. This year I actually plan to give some bread to the local Fae. Some people celebrate Lammas on August 5th (that's the old Lammas), when the sun is up to 15 degrees Leo.

I myself am celebrating old Lammas this year, since I'll be on the road for new Lammas.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Neverforever9116 wrote:And here I am just worrying how to pronunce it...
Haha. That's why I just call it Lammas. It's basically Llamas.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Angelhair

Post by Angelhair »

I am baking this year. And getting together with friends in the evening for ritual of thanks to the mother for her bounty. Just making headdresses as we speak.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Neverforever9116 wrote:And here I am just worrying how to pronunce it...
It's easier than it looks. ;) It's pronounced loo-na-sa.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Lammas is the Christianized version of the holiday...mass of the loaves. I tend to not call it that.
Siona's got it...
Loo na sa....not so hard eh?
I think we will be making sun catchers. Baking a loaf is always on the menu. Decorate the altar with some harvest from the garden!
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Yeah, but Christians don't celebrate Lammas so I don't think it really matters if that's what they changed it to. It's about the tradition and the honoring of the divine and the harvesting and all that. Not the name. But now that I know how to pronounce it, I can say it ^•^
Gehule

Post by Gehule »

Hey all. Im new here. I wanted to ask how to celebrate Lughnasadh and is there any rituals for this feast :) (sorry for my bad english im from Lithuania )
When you look at field of dandelions, you can either see a hundred weeds, or a thousand wishes
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Hi Gehule!

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to get to know you better, so please make a post in the introduction section and tell us more about yourself. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I merged the Lughnasadh thread here, because why have two identical questions spaced 2 days apart....

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”