Suggestions for Celebrating Samhain Despite Back Pain?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
dolphinpatronus

Suggestions for Celebrating Samhain Despite Back Pain?

Post by dolphinpatronus »

I've been having some issues with serious back pain & I don't like to work any spells or rituals when I'm not feeling well physically or emotionally. But I still want to take part in Samhain. Any suggestions on good ways to take part?
Estee :)
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Suggestions for Celebrating Samhain Despite Back Pain?Pa

Post by AdastraJunction »

If you do not want to do any rituals or spells, you could always do something in remembrance of lost loved ones. This will be a time when the veil between life and death is the thinest so communication with spirits will be easier to achieve. Thats generally what I do. I let my ancestors and passed loved ones know how I am doing in life and and give thanks for their peace.
dolphinpatronus

Re: Suggestions for Celebrating Samhain Despite Back Pain?

AdastraJunction wrote:If you do not want to do any rituals or spells, you could always do something in remembrance of lost loved ones. This will be a time when the veil between life and death is the thinest so communication with spirits will be easier to achieve. Thats generally what I do. I let my ancestors and passed loved ones know how I am doing in life and and give thanks for their peace.
I had originally planned on laying out some pictures of my grandparents that have passed with some candles as part of my ritual. Maybe I'll keep that but skip the ritual part.
azriel

Post by azriel »

I do not necessarily perform a ritual during Samhain since it coincides with El Día de los Muertos for me and my family. So we simply prepare a big meal, usually a dish that a loved one enjoyed, and placed some as offerings for them.

A big family meal!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
dolphinpatronus

azriel wrote:I do not necessarily perform a ritual during Samhain since it coincides with El Día de los Muertos for me and my family. So we simply prepare a big meal, usually a dish that a loved one enjoyed, and placed some as offerings for them.

A big family meal!

Azriel
^-^~
I've read of a lot of people doing this. Do you (personally since I'm sure people do different things) make a single plate or small individual plates for the specific ancestors you are honoring? I've read of people doing both.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I won't be doing spell work or rituals either, since I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery. I will be keeping thoughts of loved ones in my heart and mind. If you feel up to it, you might make some holiday foods. I think the idea you have for pictures and candles is a good one. If you feel that a small ritual is appropriate when the time comes, that would probably be safe. Pay attention to your body and your feelings.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

SnowCat wrote:I won't be doing spell work or rituals either, since I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery. I will be keeping thoughts of loved ones in my heart and mind. If you feel up to it, you might make some holiday foods. I think the idea you have for pictures and candles is a good one. If you feel that a small ritual is appropriate when the time comes, that would probably be safe. Pay attention to your body and your feelings.

Snow
Good luck with your recovery.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Thank you. It's progressing well, but I'm not a patient person about that stuff.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

SnowCat wrote:Thank you. It's progressing well, but I'm not a patient person about that stuff.

Snow
Same here! I got so annoyed with the lack of progress with my back pain that I went to the ER today (because my regular dr is closed on Thursday) to insist on X-rays. My chiropractor hasn't done any in at least 12 years. I figured I was overdue.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Yes. X rays are overdue. My pain doc didn't do anything until he had X rays and MRI reports on my back. It's too easy to cause damage.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Most of the time on Samhain I will make a meal both of my parents loved. I remember them each year. On Nov 1 it marks my fathers death date so this holiday is the closest for me and to be able to communicate with him is even better. I can let all my emotions out and I feel so much better. My suggestion light candles for a loved one too.
dolphinpatronus

Lillady wrote:Most of the time on Samhain I will make a meal both of my parents loved. I remember them each year. On Nov 1 it marks my fathers death date so this holiday is the closest for me and to be able to communicate with him is even better. I can let all my emotions out and I feel so much better. My suggestion light candles for a loved one too.
Thanks for your thoughts.
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

Hm, I did a big ritual last year but this year I am going to do something smaller, like writing things I want to achieve for the coming year, just remembering loved ones that have passed, that kind of thing. I hope you feel better soon though! Blessed be.
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
dolphinpatronus

Re: Question about the holiday

LiebeUndLicht wrote:Hm, I did a big ritual last year but this year I am going to do something smaller, like writing things I want to achieve for the coming year, just remembering loved ones that have passed, that kind of thing. I hope you feel better soon though! Blessed be.
Thanks :) I'm hoping to feel up for it by then but you never know.
azriel

Post by azriel »

dolphinpatronus wrote:
azriel wrote:I do not necessarily perform a ritual during Samhain since it coincides with El Día de los Muertos for me and my family. So we simply prepare a big meal, usually a dish that a loved one enjoyed, and placed some as offerings for them.

A big family meal!

Azriel
^-^~
I've read of a lot of people doing this. Do you (personally since I'm sure people do different things) make a single plate or small individual plates for the specific ancestors you are honoring? I've read of people doing both.

Generally, we make a tapas style dinner. So we begin with an appetizer of meats and cheeses on crackers along with our drinks. My father has tequila, and I have my michelada. We then have a big dinner where various plates are set out and they usually are loved one favorites!

Azriel,
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”