Cat Sterillity

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Deku
Banned Member

Cat Sterillity

Post by Deku »

I have two cats. Two females :) . They are so lovely. One problem is that there are 6 babies each year and now none of my neighbors will adopt more. But I do not like surgeon method and spraying, drugs. Is there something like binding magick or infused herbs that can effect them. I find stoneseeds but do not think it'll suitable for cats. Please help :(
random417

Re: Cat Sterillity

Post by random417 »

Honestly, I do have a few ideas, but I'd like to urge you to consider the spaying again. Part of the reason here is that herbs and magick can reduce the chance of pregnancy, but it isn't 100 percent. The other thing though is even if that part is effective, you won't stop their heats... You'll attract every unneutered male cat within a surprisingly large radius, and drive the neighbors, you, and even your fur-babies crazy. If I may ask first... Why are you opposed to the surgery?
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

I do not want someone to use scissors or knives against my cats. That's it. I don't need 100 percents method. Share yours
random417

Post by random417 »

Wild Carrot seed, our an extract has been used for birth control in humans. I don't see anything about toxicity to cats, so you should be good, just feed them a bit with their food. I have no idea regarding dosages though.

(Standard I'm not a doc or vet warning applies, and doubly so, as I'm saying I'm not sure about things)
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
Siona

Post by Siona »

You know, they actually make birth control for cats. If you're really against spaying your cats (which, having spent a lot of time volunteering at over-crowded animal shelters, and dealing with feral cats, I strongly urge you to reconsider), you should go to your vet and discuss the options available to you. Some people do use wild carrot seed, as was mentioned, as a birth control for animals, but there is a lot of variance in herbal remedies, and experimenting with finding the correct dosage may leave you with additional litters before you find a level that is effective. There also isn't really much known about potential harmful side effects in cats, either.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Spayed and neutered cats have a much lower incidence of cancer. Additionally, neutered males are still capable of copulation with females in heat. This can cause a pseudo-pregnancy and potentially deadly uterine infection. I nearly lost a cat to a uterine infection last year. I fell behind on spaying our female rescue cats when the economy tanked. That meant that we ended up with kittens. They have a forever home with us, because we were at least partially responsible for them being born. Pet overpopulation is a real problem. Spaying and neutering is the only viable option for solving that problem.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
random417

Post by random417 »

I agree Snow, about all of that. In the absence of that however, spell work helps.

I didn't know about the birth control for cats, that's pretty cool. For sure that'll be better than the wild carrot.

On another note, what I would do, magically speaking is make a cat poppet, complete with anatomical correctness, including symbolic representations of her internals. Then I could symbolically do the surgery.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

You really believe that magick will prevent a pregnancy? You are going to end up with more kittens. Please just spay your cat or keep her away from males. We have soooo many cats being killed in shelters every single day - thousands of them a day! And it's because people aren't sterilizing their pets. Do some reading online and learn how safe and easy it is and you should feel better about the procedure.

I was afraid to spay my dog (the one in the photo there) and she ended up having a false pregnancy, which can apparently cause other complications, as was mentioned. She's okay, but we're planning to take her and my other female in to have them spayed. There are laser procedures now, so the vet wouldn't technically be cutting your cat. They heal much faster and are up running around the same day, I think. With dogs, some vets are only removing the ovaries now instead of taking the whole reproductive system. I don't have that option where I live, but I can at least get the laser surgery instead of scalpel. We have one vet in my whole town offer laser surgery.
random417

Post by random417 »

Starwitch wrote:You really believe that magick will prevent a pregnancy?
I'll address this as well, if I may... personally, yes and no. Will magick completely prevent pregnancy? No, not even a little bit. While I believe that anything is possible with magick, nobody can get that kind of focus and intent into a spell. But magick of this type is not black and white, it's about swinging the odds... using our example here:

Average litter size of the domestic cat is between 3 and 6. Assume that 6 kittens a year is right for this cat (I think there are 2 iirc, but the math works the same either way). That's already on the low end, cats have 2 heats a year, but that's the numbers we're given...

OP seems strongly against surgery. I think it's a decision based in unreasonable fear, and also again urge the surgery or birth control options, however, assuming they don't change their mind, lifespan of the domestic cat is 12 years. Assume middle age, so 6 more years. Female cats don't go through menopause, but they do lose fertility as they age. Let's figure 6 kittens a year times 6 years is 36, then subtract 5 or so for loss of fertility the last couple of years. That's 31 more kittens.

If proper spellwork adjusts odds in our favor, we could look at something like an average of 1 or 2 less kittens a litter, and at least one less litter in this cats lifetime. So 5 years (subtracting 1 litter) times 4.5 kittens a litter (average between subtracting 1 and 2 each is 1.5) is 22.5 kittens, round up to 23. Subtract 3 for loss of fertility as they age...
The difference between doing your spellwork and not is 11 less kittens on the streets. Now, it's still 20 kittens too many, I agree, but it is a difference.

Bluntly (which is a thing you'll discover I am quite often), my numbers may be a bit off (the adjustment for magick that is, I googled the cat statistics), but that's a third less, or quite a decent amount. Of course, like everything else in magick, individual results may vary.

Now, I think most of us here would agree in magick making changes to the physical world, and assuming that belief, I don't think my numbers are that far off.

To the OP... my numbers are probably close to what you can expect with magick alone. I would totally count that a success. Herbal remedies may help tweak those numbers a little, but dosing is almost impossible, as you only really know if you get it wrong. Were it me, I'd add either the drugs from the vet or the surgery (probably the surgery, add that also helps prevent other health issues), but I shared so you'd have the information, just in case.

Starwitch, I see your point, but I'd rather have 20 cats born without homes than 31. Just saying
Siona

Post by Siona »

random417 wrote:
Starwitch wrote:Starwitch, I see your point, but I'd rather have 20 cats born without homes than 31. Just saying
There's the potential for a lot more than twenty cats though. Deku, I hope you really consider this. Let's say you do the spell, let's say it cuts the kittens down to a lower number, but you still have kittens - what are you going to do with them? Your neighbors won't take anymore. Do you keep them? If you do, I assume you won't get them fixed either, and they're going to start having kittens. Those kittens will have kittens. You end up having a lot more than twenty cats on your hand. What will you do with them all?

Yes, twenty homeless cats is better than thirty, but what's the chance that it will really just be twenty when those kittens start to reproduce as well? Why have twenty homeless cats at all when you could have zero, or close to it? :(
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Good point, Siona. I wasn't even thinking about the kittens that grow up in less than a year and start having more kittens.
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

whatever, I'll try using herbs first (maybe magick can't affect but herbs can)
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

Actually, I don't expect you to believe but they (the cats) say that they do not love surgery :(
Siona

Post by Siona »

Deku wrote:Actually, I don't expect you to believe but they (the cats) say that they do not love surgery :(
Who loves surgery? :? I don't expect most people or pets love surgery, but sometimes it's a necessary course of action. Your cats will likely not enjoy surgery, but they would quickly get over it - the kittens your cats produce will not get over being homeless so easily. There's more than just the risk of kittens, too, it's possible for your cats to contract disease and be injured when they mate, and they won't like that either, I'm sure.

Again though, if you don't want to do surgery, please go to your vet and discuss reliable birth control options.
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

the cats. Have you ever tried communicating with them? I meet the people in the vet and they suggest giving them a stab

Return to “Animals and Pets”