Meditation tips for ADD/ADHD?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
Xx

Meditation tips for ADD/ADHD?

Post by Xx »

I have add/ADHD and I have always found it difficult to meditate for longer than five minutes. Does anyone have advice or tips to help teach myself to meditate longer?
TwilightDancer

Re: Meditation tips for ADD/ADHD?

Post by TwilightDancer »

Peronette wrote:I have add/ADHD and I have always found it difficult to meditate for longer than five minutes. Does anyone have advice or tips to help teach myself to meditate longer?
I would suggest playing a bit of music in the background-without lyrics. Focus on the notes and rhythm. Close your eyes, paint a picture with the song. What does it look like? how does it move? By focusing on the music you drown out everything else. Once you relax your vision should change.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
random417

Post by random417 »

I also have ADHD, and something I've found to work for me is mantra. I have the luxury of chanting out loud now, but even repeating a chant mentally helps to give me something to stick in my head. I add mantra to all my meditation work, and it helps me.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
random417

Post by random417 »

Oh, I almost forgot! Meditation is a lot about changing your state of consciousness. I do a lot more of that with over simulation, rather than quiet. I'll throw headphones on, and take a walk, or dance. Hope some of that helps
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Xx

Post by Xx »

Thank you both. I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

I always try to find something to truly focus on. Whether it's music, something from nature (possibly wind or rain), an object I'm holding, just something to really zone into and focus on. That way, even if I can't get a fully clear mind, I'm not thinking about what to make for dinner or what time I have to get up the next day. :) I'm new to meditation, but this is something that helped me immediately. Hope this helps!
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

i made a post similar to this one but then i saw this and deleted it. thanks for all the helpful tips!
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Irised

Post by Irised »

I also have ADHD so I feel your pain!

Like Aderyn said, having something to focus on helps. I like candles personally. And I always find some kind of instrumental music to play.

Another thing I like are guided meditations. Having instructions sometimes keeps my mind from wandering. I have an app on my phone called "Omvana" and it has lots of these
lithe_forager

Post by lithe_forager »

i also struggle with mine, but when i meditate i let my hands play with my fluorite pyramid. also the only place i feel comfortable or really relaxed is the bath tub. i light candles, close the door and either listen to music without lyrics or try the you tube guided meditations. affirmations/mantras help too. good luck to you :)
NP

Post by NP »

I focus on a candle flame, or the rhythm of my own breathing. I'd also advise either opening a window on a windy day or using a track of nature sounds if that's not possible.
EndlessNameless

Post by EndlessNameless »

When I have trouble meditating I listen to drum beats and nature sounds and kind of sway back and forth and also sway my hands.
I kind of just let my self move. Its hard to explain.
It seems no one can help me now, I'm in too deep,
There's no way out, This time I have really lead myself astray.

-Runaway Train by Soul Asylum
ness

Post by ness »

I recommend shamanic drums music and just focusing on music. I agree with swaying, basically start relaxing and enjoying the drum beats. I have noticed that I automatically move to a trance state with this.
Burstfireloki6

Post by Burstfireloki6 »

Thanks, I needed help on this as well
"A demon, if you prefer the term; although to be honest, the difference between god and a demon is really only a matter of perspective."

~Joanne Harris, The Gospel of Loki~
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Bumping this post, and contributing to it with this link I found
It's how to get kids to meditate, but you know, ad/hd people are pretty much just big kids, right?
(I'm talking from experience here.)
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
ness

Post by ness »

Thank you, moonraver. I want to teach my daughter meditation and hopefully make it a habit in both of our lives.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”