Salt Dough Goddesses

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Vervain

Salt Dough Goddesses

Post by Vervain »

Hello, all! I'm new here and this is my first post to the board, but I wanted to show off some salt dough goddesses I just made over Eostre.

The recipe I used was pretty much 1 cup flour, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup water, but I mucked around with it a little bit after that because I needed to add more water to get it to all mix, but then I added more flour because it was too wet. The goddesses did a lot of drying overnight on their own, but I also gave them a quick turn in the microwave and a while in the oven. It was all guesswork, so I can say exactly how long--but I know the oven temperature was 250 F, and that eventually got them exactly where I wanted them to be.

Somewhere I read that you could just zap them in the microwave for 3 minutes and it would be fine, but I put a scrap in the microwave for 1 minute to test and it turned black and my microwave still smells awful, so I don't recommend that, but a LITTLE time in the microwave carefully watched sure speeds up the drying process.

Also I noticed that the drying done via microwave or oven came out real smooth and nice whereas the air-drying came out very grainy--I prefer the oven/mw method for the final effect, but it's down to personal preference, really.

NOW PICTURES!! :D

Hel--Norse queen of Helheim/Niflheim, queen of the dead (or some of them, anyway)

Billow Maiden--one of the nine daughters of Ægir and Rán, mothers of Heimdall, goddesses of the waves and brewers of beer

Nut--Egyptian Sky Goddess

Maat--Egyptian goddess of truth, balance, and order

After they dried, I painted them with gouache and acrylic paints, decorated Maat and Nut with glitter, rhinestones, and feathers as necessary, and sprayed them with polyurethane (clear gloss) to seal them. I could have left them unsprayed for a more natural look, but I sprayed Nut to attach the glitter and decided I liked them all better like this.

Merry meet!
Vervain
Vervain

Re: Salt Dough Goddesses

Post by Vervain »

Also--the only ones that air-dried before I baked/mw'd them are Nut and the left side of Hel (it was an accident, she was partially covered in wax paper), so unfortunately you can't see the difference because I painted over.
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Oh my Goddess these are amazing!!! You did a wonderful job!! Nut is my favorite :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Wow

They are so cool !!!
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Have you written of book of these crafts? If so, what is the title?

Vervain

Post by Vervain »

No, haha, you flatter me! I have not written a book, but perhaps that is a good idea! For now I think it is much more valuable to everyone to have these resources available for free on this forum! If I do write a book, however, I will certainly let you know! For now, I'm glad you're enjoying what I have to share. Please let me know if you decide to try this, and share!
EbonySunset

Post by EbonySunset »

Awww your goddesses are gorgeous! You've inspired me to get crafty!
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I'm getting ready to make my 1st batch of salt dough so I'm pretty excited. Those are gorgeous!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

So cute! :D
I've never thought to dry my salt dough projects in the microwave before.
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

These are so lovely!
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:So cute! :D
I've never thought to dry my salt dough projects in the microwave before.
Yeah I messed up my runes by not doing that lol.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

I would be careful with the microwave, though--I burned one of them and it smelled REAL bad.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Vervain, do you recommend a particular amount of time in the microwave? Or is the process kind of trial and error depending on the size?
I recently seen a goddess figure for sale that I think I can make at home using salt dough. The runes and pentacle I made last year were both air dried. I've thought about trying out the microwave this time.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:Vervain, do you recommend a particular amount of time in the microwave? Or is the process kind of trial and error depending on the size?
Watch it. Depending on the size and how moist it is it may take a while at first but the color change (cream to brown) happens in an instant. You really have to sit there with your head against the microwave and watch it, and take it out the second it starts to look like it might be changing color to a gold or brown. If you can smell it burning you've waited too long.

If the slight color change bothers you, the microwave might not be a good idea for you. I painted mine so it didn't matter to me.
------------------
Also, one of Nut's arms broke off but I glued it back with Elmer's--it has held REALLY well since then, so I can definitely recommend Elmer's for broken salt dough projects.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”