Chaos Magick

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Tinevisce

Chaos Magick

Post by Tinevisce »

Okay, can anyone tell me exactly what Chaos Magick is? Someone told me that it was an advanced branch of Dark Magick- is this true? :?:
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

This following excerpt comes from one who can explain it better than I could - Dead jellyfish AKA D.J. Lawrence. If you wanna check out the website here's the link

http://www.chaosmagic.com/

A Definition:

Nothing is True.

The main focus present in Chaos Magic is an absence of focus. In other words, the main belief within Chaos Magic is that nothing is true. Many people spend their lives joining or falling away from various religions and magical groups based on the positive points or problems inherent within the belief system. Finding a concrete system of belief that contains no problems whatsoever is an impossibility - and even if it were possible, becoming a fundamentalist and adhering only to a single belief system for the rest of one's life wouldn't be much fun anyway. While no belief system is absolute, they are all of use.

Everything is permitted.

Because nothing is true and no one particular system of belief is completely and rigidly adhered to, the Chaos Magician is free to believe in anything she or he desires.

The Illuminati of Thantateros as such has no concrete system of belief. This absence of a strict theorhetical focus differs the IOT from most other occult groups. The IOT does not exist for the purpose of putting order into people's lives. This does not mean that systems of belief are not important. Systems of belief are beneficial to people and generally can make life more enjoyable. No one system of belief, however,holds the monopoly on truth. Any ordering that is done is up to the individual Magician to decide. Any belief system is open to the Chaos Magician: from Hinduism to Christianity, Buddhism to Kabbalah, the Greco-Roman Pantheon to the Cthulu Mythos, Thelema to Wicca, Golden Dawn to Temple of Set and so on. If the existing systems of belief do not seem adequate to the individual Magician then a new system of belief can and should be created. If one cannot relate to any of the existing gods then give birth to new ones. While there is a lot benefit within the great traditions of the past, there is no reason why one shouldn't create new traditions, pantheons, beings, technologies, worlds and races.

Because Chaos Magic does not use a concrete theorhetical focus, the emphasis in Chaos Magic is placed on the Doing rather than the Explaining. As a group, more emphasis is placed on the material realm. When a system of belief is employed, it is used as a means to an end and not as the end itself. Whatever system of belief is the most functional to the Magician for achieving the goal in mind, should be used. In Japanese Buddhism, the concept of using the most beneficial means to an end is called Hoben. When casting a spell for lucid dreaming invoking the Cthulu Mythos is a good means to the end involved. For an understanding of creation the Japanese gods Izanami and Izanagi are effective. For love -- the Greek Aphrodite, the Babylonian Inanna. For money -- Plutus or Mammon. And so on...

Thus, in Chaos Magic a system of belief is a means to an end and is not an answer to the mystery of Life, the Universe and Everything. The next question, then, is what is the end? There is no universal End within Chaos Magic, and no End which we as a group all strive towards. The ends are all individual and up to the individual Magicians. The ends can be for worldly things: love, money, intellectual prowess and so on. Indulging only in material things, however,can dullen a person. Humanity has evolved and received the gift of intellect -- the Black Flame. Workings of a more mystical nature can also be useful. For example: invoking and communicating with one's guardian angel (or bodhisattva), pathworkings to the land of the dead, blasting open the Gate for the gods of Lovecraft's pantheon, and so on. It is wise not to go too far with such rituals though. Focusing only on transcendental themes and concepts can make one lose touch with the material -- with the world around you. A balance between the material and mystical is best. Everything in moderation -- and even moderation should be moderated.

Adefinition:

A strict definition of Chaos would be a contradiction, as Chaos is no longer Chaos when order has been imposed upon it. Which is exactly what the preceding sentence succeeded in doing - contradicting itself by defining Chaos. "The Tao-Path is not the All-Tao. The Name is not the Thing Named." - from Aleister Crowley's version of the Tao Te Ching.

By defining something, the definer has control over the defined and can manipulate it. A concrete definition will eventually become a cage and lock the definer in. Thus, it is necessary, periodically, to cut through one's definitions and create new ones.

Thus, it is best to create one's own definition of Chaos Magic rather than using anothers. Once this definition has been created, use it, work with it, then destroy it and create a new one.

I invite you to forget about my definition. Go write your own.
5moons

Post by 5moons »

Thanks hedge I never knew that all this info you had. THANKS!
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I read up on an awful lot of different subjects, what can I say, I'm a bookworm :D

hedge
5moons

Post by 5moons »

hedgewitch wrote:I read up on an awful lot of different subjects, what can I say, I'm a bookworm :D

hedge
So am I if I can get the books when I can find them.
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

Me, I get info from wherever I can- though mostly I use the net. :lol:
Mangus

RA!

Post by Mangus »

Hail Eris!

Looks like i dont need to post any really information in this post, hedge you covered it verywell.

Mangus

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”