I was Christian....

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Beothany

I was Christian....

Post by Beothany »

This is gonna be long...
I grew up thinking we were just there to live. until I turned 13 i didn't know god existed.
I felt like church was home when i finally started going. but one part of the bible really gets to me every time the part that says 'Thou shall not permit a sorceress to live' then again it also says 'thou shall not kill' WTH?!?! I was slipping away from religion al together then I found magick. I've never felt so intuned with myself and nature yet so confused about absolutely everything. I think there's a God.How am I supposed to know?
~And So Maeve Sings~

-Beothany
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

I can relate to what you are saying about the apparent inconsistancies in church doctorine. I never agreed that God would create and allow both good and evil and then say Magick is only evil and that all witches should die but then, as you said say thou shalt not kill. Go with what your spirit is telling you. Pray/meditate on what God/Goddess means to you and be comfortable with what your spiritual path is. Best of luck dear!
Beothany

Post by Beothany »

Thank You I'll try my best
~And So Maeve Sings~

-Beothany
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

If you need to "chat" more feel free to PM me. I grew up in the church so I am very knowledgeable on how to look at these situations!
Beothany

Post by Beothany »

Thank you that is extremely kind and you will be one of the first people I ask.
~And So Maeve Sings~

-Beothany
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I would like to first point out that the specific line you are referring to is a mistranslation and more political motivated by the church at that time. It's actually suppose to be "allow a poisoner to live" but at that time the only people who were suppose to be able to make such were witches, and the church has never cared for people who take God's power out of their hands and into the individuals.

But yes, the bible contradicts it's self in almost everything it says.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

(´-`&#6528 wrote:I would like to first point out that the specific line you are referring to is a mistranslation and more political motivated by the church at that time. It's actually suppose to be "allow a poisoner to live" but at that time the only people who were suppose to be able to make such were witches, and the church has never cared for people who take God's power out of their hands and into the individuals.

But yes, the bible contradicts it's self in almost everything it says.
Where did you find out this information about the term "poisoners"?
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

Read a translation of a bible from the Medieval period thanks to a university professor I helped out.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Zili

Post by Zili »

the stories and words written in the bible are nothing but a result of the game "telephone" in a sense. Like most ancient stories it was all passed down through oral tradition until several scholars sat down to write the bible based on all the stories that had been shared. When something is passed down from generation to generation things become edited either by leaving things out, exaggerating, or completely twisting what had been said. This is why after reading the bible more than once I found I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Nothing made sense to me because although there is truth hidden in the core of it, I can't see the whole truth, and there is no solid "proof" to back anything up. Eventually it was this same realization that helped me to move completely away from christianity.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Thanks, 65.. (looks in confusion) :lol: How is that pronounced?

Along Zili's comment, I have been grappling with the blatant acts of genocide that were repeatedly committed according to the Bible as ordered by God himself. Of course, I had been raised on a literal interpretation of the Bible (including Genesis) so it seriously bothered me. I can understand fully armed soldiers but when they go into details about killing even the last infant (in some cases even the sheep, cows, donkeys, etc), it is disturbing to say the least. The most gruesome was the orders by Moses to spare only the young virgins ("the girls that have not known a man") and keep them for booty; kill the rest including male children.

Now, I've also been made aware that there are metaphorical interpretations of these stories. Mostly it is about scaring people straight and to purge themselves of acts deemed evil. Yet still why make such a violent metaphor? Why not just talk about weeding the garden? Unless again it is to scare people straight. OR as already mentioned by Zili, things are being lost in translation. I was thinking of that in fact just the other day when, of all things, I was watching "Madagascar 2" and the line of chimpanzees are trying to relay a message from the ground up to an airplane.

Just a few nights ago, I stumbled upon an extremely interesting discussion at another board while trying to research this. The participants there, while a faithful bunch, also appear to be very dry and objective about this. According to archaelogical findings, studies on the history of ancient languages, etc... it appears according to them that none of this ever even happened. They are hypothesizing that the Hebrews themselves were the first Canaanites. It's still going on, so I've been watching it. Not registered there, but I am enjoying the thread overall (except for some of the predictable, ignorant comments by posters such as "Muffled").

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/ge ... nites.html
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”