First esbat

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
SpellingBe

First esbat

Post by SpellingBe »

What would you think was a good ritual, something involving but not too 'highly ceremonious' for someone doing their first Esbat ritual solitary? Assume they have no or very little experience, but all the basic tools and knowledge.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

It depends on what sabbat you are celebrating....
SpellingBe

Post by SpellingBe »

And here I was thinking there was a difference between Esbats and Sabbats.
Meri_el

Esbats and Sabbats

Post by Meri_el »

There are. As a trad witch I don't celebrate what the wiccans call the wheel of the year. It is basically a posh-podge of holidays from different traditional paths they stuck together to make their own calender. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but some of those holidays (such as imbolc) I don't celebrate. That aside, esbats are full moons sabbats (or witches' sabbaths) are the eight holidays celebrated in the wiccan year. For future reference, writing your own ritual is probably your best bet. Saying something someone else wrote can feel weird. If you are wiccan, which all this mention of sabbats I assume you are, then you will want to cast your circle, call the elements, and then maybe do something personal like some tarot, make a sachet for protection, or something simple like that. Then, release your elements, thank the spirits, and close your circle. Simple. Esbats are different in that they are a very magically potent time when you can "draw down the moon" if you are into that. But again you can do divination and magic then as well.
Twisted_Pixie

Re: Esbats and Sabbats

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Meri_el wrote:There are. As a trad witch I don't celebrate what the wiccans call the wheel of the year. It is basically a posh-podge of holidays from different traditional paths they stuck together to make their own calender.
I disagree... im not wiccan but i disagree..

Yes esbats and sabbats are completely different... sabbats are the pagan holidays, and esbats are the dark and full moon. =D
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I would do a goddess chant such as a "drawing down the moon" so to speak and healing, protection are good for new moon and any divineing is good for a new moon. And I belive that one a month during a full moon the goddess will listen to one wish and may grant it :wink:

I hold hoilday on the 8 sabbats because I see them as celebrating the god and goddess and thier roles in the cycle of the year. Not so much the traditional ways ( Bridgit's day I praise new births and the completion of a promise that winter will pass and life will carry forth. it is also my daughters birthday so even more so. Not so much Bridgit herself.)
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

HA!!! I just realised i wrote sabbat and not esbat... my bad lmao
Stephanie Mae

Re: Esbats and Sabbats

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Meri_el wrote:There are. As a trad witch I don't celebrate what the wiccans call the wheel of the year. It is basically a posh-podge of holidays from different traditional paths they stuck together to make their own calender. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but some of those holidays (such as imbolc) I don't celebrate. That aside, esbats are full moons sabbats (or witches' sabbaths) are the eight holidays celebrated in the wiccan year.
Not only Wiccans celebrate, The Wheel of the Year. Traditional Witches (as you call them), Druids and Pagans just identify each holiday separately. Speaking from experience as a Traditional Irish Witch, my family has always celebrated the holidays listed below with traditions dating several generations (before the Wiccan path was in existence).

Imbolg
Beltane
Lughnasadh
Samhain
Yule

We also celebrate the changing of the seasons, just privately and not as a family. Celebrating these holidays and giving a sacrifice, is our way of showing respect to our ancestors and our own traditions.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”