Not using incense

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Siona

Re: Not using incense

Post by Siona »

I almost never use incense in the home, and rarely use any sort of strong scent in the home at all because my partner is extremely sensitive to it, and it can make her quite sick. (Not to mention I have gerbils, and they're known for having pretty sensitive respiratory systems, as well.) Before living together I used incense all the time. But it's been around a decade now, and I've found there are plenty of other options out there, both for spells and to replace as offerings to deities. In my daily rituals I use olive oil lamps as both an offering and focal point. I make offerings of food and drink, or time/actual physical works, rather than incense. In spellwork I write and perform my own workings which don't call for incense. There are many options out there to look at for inspiration, like bottle spells, candle magic, knot magic, etc. A lot of hoodoo spellwork doesn't strictly call for incense, but may call for using oils and herbs in other preparations, such as baths and washes, which I find a good substitute for smudging or cleansing with incense. (And in general is a better fit with my tradition, anyway.)

The thing is, I do love scent and using scent in ritual. I just don't use incense or anything that gives off smoke like that indoors, or anything that will scent the whole home strongly. So instead I might use perfume oil, or amber resin kept in a little box, flowers, or fresh cut citrus, etc, to add a bit of scent around the shrine, if I want to do so. If there's something I want to do that I really feel would be be enhanced by incense, or a specific ritual which really must have the incense component, I do it outside.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

If it plugs into your computer then it's not really a diffuser as such but more of an oil heater. Also, I would not recommend plugging anything like that into a computer as they are not designed for them and the plug in the computer may start to fail. Not saying it isn't a neat idea but depending on it's power needs, I'm assuming it uses a coil to heat the oil, it may be more than a USB port can handle.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

The Judge wrote:If it plugs into your computer then it's not really a diffuser as such but more of an oil heater. Also, I would not recommend plugging anything like that into a computer as they are not designed for them and the plug in the computer may start to fail. Not saying it isn't a neat idea but depending on it's power needs, I'm assuming it uses a coil to heat the oil, it may be more than a USB port can handle.
Good to know. :)
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Granite

Post by Granite »

Thanks again everybody
I got ahold of an oil diffuser that uses a small tealight candle underneath instead of an electric one i like it a lot but cant say its giving off a lot of scent but i might not be putting enough oils
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Are you using a carrier oil? I usually put in like a tsp of coconut oil, and then 2-5 drops of the essential oil. Without the carrier oil, the essential oil will denature and burn out too fast without giving off the scent. It's not as much aroma as a cold water diffuser, but I prefer it to be a little more on the subtle side.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”