Magic's origin

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ashrend

Magic's origin

Post by Ashrend »

I've been trying my best with research and I understand that magic is not mine, I don't have my own fuel reserves of it, that it is everywhere. My question is where does it come from? What makes it still exist today, and has magic itself, not the practices, changed over the centuries?

fire and flames
Heartsong

Re: Magic's origin

Post by Heartsong »

I think that's going to be a matter of personal experience and opinion, really, since I don't believe there is a definite answer as to where magic comes from or how it's manifested.

For myself, I've always thought that magic is just taking the natural energies of the earth and giving them a nudge in a certain direction. Nature is magic and magic is nature. So, I suppose that would mean I believe that these energies have always been present. I also think that it's not entirely unique to Earth; the universe itself has energy and I think that can be channeled as well.

As far as magic itself changing over the centuries, that's much harder to trace, I think, without a lot of digging. I'd be very interested in hearing what more well read members have to say about that one. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Heartsong wrote:I think that's going to be a matter of personal experience and opinion, really, since I don't believe there is a definite answer as to where magic comes from or how it's manifested.
I agree with this, but I also think that alchemical texts have narrowed the answer down quite a bit.
Hagerman420

Post by Hagerman420 »

I was going to take a far out guess but I too agree with Heartsong.

My theory would be that energy is manipulated through the power of thought thus creating magic.

Have a Good Day.
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

I would look into chaos magic. There are some forums I've run across geared specifically toward it. But one of the lines of thought is magic is just a use of quantum theory. That because we are part of the universe we can influence it and because we have consciousness we can control how we exert influence. To go with this is the thought that magic may be stymied by the purely secular thoughts of individuals. Making in it harder to perform in general but also in their presence.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Check out those old cave walls covered with bison. Images we’re used as symbols of a desired goal ... looks like magic is still being done about the same.

I found some help in understanding by reading about orgone energy. It's the force created by the relationship between everything that exists. This force responds to thought. Everything has varying concentrations of orgone force. It moves in a spiral, is attracted to living matter, can be "charged" with intent and holds the charge. And thus different magical systems of working this energy evolved as people observed it and how to influence it. Some people feel it is a divine energy as nature itself is divine. People and cultures change, but magic is continuous.

Noetic Science tells us magical abilities stem from energizing the pineal gland, a.k.a., 3rd 👁‍🗨
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

That makes so much sense with string theory, vibrations are talked about in so many texts.

fire and flames
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I believe there is an answer for where magic comes from.
There is a point where matter and energy can switch places without incident. Where they are interchangeable without loss.
That is the starting point for magic.
Science has begun to reaffirm old knowledge that all living things have their own form of communication and a specific to themselves integration with Time.
We can also now show that time can be isolated in crystal form without bidirectional boundaries on the energy foot print of that "time crystal".
Science has also been able to measure the unique energy signatures associated with living things and what we consider non living things and to bridge between the two and allow us to see that there is more in common than not in common.
All of the advances in science point to ancient stories and practices and a potential acknowledgement that ancient people had a far greater understanding of nature than is taught or implied.
And there was a rather massive period of human history where organized religious groups used force and violence and indoctrination to wipe out entire cultures and vast amounts of knowledge.
And then science itself became such an industry that it got locked into the formulas of it's own success and stopped looking at existence with open eyes and an open mind and we are just starting to grow out of that.

As we move closer to understanding that point where matter and energy are interchangeable we have to ask "what causes the change to happen". I still firmly believe that it is consciousness that helps guide, not controls, that change. Guides.
And as the collective will is subdivided among the sheer volume of humans the overall process of guidance is slowed down because individual wills are so scattered that it is like asking millions of crabs to move your ship from the desert, to the sea. It is 100% possible and feasible, as long as all the crabs work together.
When they start splitting their focus, it takes much much longer.

So as we learn more about consciousness and the point when thought becomes thought and then thought becomes action, we will have a chance to acknowledge that the same principles happen in the matter energy interchange and we will have a chance to reclaim that knowledge that was lost.

At least I hope so.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I don't think there is a single source we draw energy from. We've got gods, asura, chaos itself, yourself, the elements and so forth. Magic itself though, I think is connected to emotion.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

I believe my magick comes from myself the god and goddess and the elements
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Everyone has really good insights here, I will endeavor to expand further.
As I see it magic is pure energy. We have discoverd over millenia that this energy can be moved and minupulated in many different ways. Energy like electricity can never die it just changes form. So then your question of where did it originate I think is as good as where did we come from?....when you have the answer to that you have the answer to where magic came from.
:surprisedwitch:
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Maybe it comes from the demon Xanth, like in the Xanth novels. One of the books in that series is The Source of Magic.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

IMO :

Magic(k) is an "Energy Formation System" ;
Magic(k) : Light Translating Bound Light ;
Magic(k) : EM = C squared ;

(Energy Mass Equals Consciousness Or Light Squared )

Thus Light Unto Light

@ Spirit Talker : Our two columns of eight symbols each , equal the high numerical value exactly for Orgone;

Reich knew the Code.

Orgone = 994
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Thank you all for your comments, it has helped me shape the idea of the world in my mind x

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”