I think I'm rather dense...

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
SilverCrescent

I think I'm rather dense...

Post by SilverCrescent »

I've been trying to figure out what deity is trying to reach out to me for a couple weeks now, and between a reading from a friend and probably the only sign I have picked up on, he's (I say 'he' because I do at least feel that the deity is male) rather frustrated that I can't seem to make contact with him.

Said sign I took notice of was a moth that kept showing up where I happened to be in the house, and I mean from one corner of a room all the way off in another for now apparent reason. After looking over potential meanings of the moth, I got the distinct feeling that this was a sign of his frustration at my failure to see his other signs. Do you guys have any advice on how I might be able to reach out in return? I've asked for signs in my dreams, but haven't had anything vivid or noteworthy, and I've been unable to successfully meditate for quite some time now. I'm not entirely sure how to use any other methods, so any suggestions are welcome!
azriel

Re: I think I'm rather dense...

Post by azriel »

Do not worry if it does not "work" as quickly. Generally, guides and deities do not get angry with us for not recognizing them. Their identity will occur to you when you are ready.

As far as I know, a moth is a messenger and usually refers to something "hidden" that will be brought to light fairly soon. The moth might be telling you not to try and force the name to come to light, for it is on it's way. If you are having trouble with meditations and dreams, ask the deity to send you little signs in the real world. The signs might shed some light on his identity or be little messages for your well-being.

It is alright if things take time! Your deity will not run away from you. He wants you to know who he is, simply in a good time.

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Moths and butterflies can both represent metamorphosis. This might mean a deity associated with metamorphosis, or it might be a reference to your metamorphosis. A moth doesn't emerge from its cocoon overnight, so your answer may take some time.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

I agree with what's been said, especially about how sometimes this sort of process can take a long time, and that's perfectly normal. The only other thing I would add is that many species of moths (although not all) are nocturnal, so it might be possible that this god has ties to the night or to the moon? Just something else to consider.
SilverCrescent

Post by SilverCrescent »

Thank you all for the advice. I suppose I'll simply have to be patient, then, and try to be a little more aware of things. I'll ask for more signs here in the real world.

And Siona, thank you for the thought, I actually hadn't thought of that, so I'll see what I can find for gods related to the night. Perhaps one will pop. Thanks again!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

It's OK to sometimes miss the signs. When I first had a vision of the symbol Aegishjalmur, I thought to myself "why on Earth am I seeing a Viking symbol?" It took about a month of patience and research to determine which god was calling me. I had no problem working with a Greek goddess, but was rather confused as to why a Norse god was calling me. I had completely forgotten that I have a German lineage. :lol:
If you want, you can ask the gods for easy, obvious signs. They don't mind.
SilverCrescent

Post by SilverCrescent »

I'll give that a shot as well, then. Thank you! In the meantime I'm just trying to get a sort of start on things by burning my favorite candle for whichever god it is trying to contact me. I hope they like apples. If nothing else, I hope I'll be better able to pick up on the signs once I'm finished with my semester, maybe the academic distraction being gone will help?
SilverCrescent

Post by SilverCrescent »

So, small update, I still don't know who's trying to contact me but I suppose I've seen two things with my mind's eye? They felt important. One thing I saw was bull's heads...one of which was being carved from wax. And then a couple nights later, I was more or less shown the Ten of Swords. I had to check a friend's deck to be sure it was the right card, as I identified it by being related to the figure on the classic card. I'm not sure what exactly to think at the moment, so I thought I'd drop these here and see if anyone knew the significance of either of those to any particular deities.
Siona

Post by Siona »

There are quite a few gods associated with bulls... Hmm... Osiris comes to mind, he has ties to bulls, as well as ties to transformation and the moon (going back to the moth symbolism). Additionally, in Egypt figures were often made of wax as part of spells or rituals. Come to think of it, the myth of his death and "re-birth" into the underworld is really reflected in the 10 of swords. He was betrayed and defeated by Set, and the 10 of swords can deal with betrayal and being at rock bottom, but the 10 of swords also has some symbolism to show that things will improve, new beginnings from endings, etc, which is true of Osiris as well. Of course this all depends a bit on how one chooses to interpret the card, as well, as there are a few different ways to do so, but that is how I think of the card. It is also possible the card was more a message for you, rather than something relating strongly to the god.

Some other gods that come to mind are Nanna/Sin (associated with bulls and the moon). Iah and Khonsu are two more Egyptian lunar deities with some minor ties to bulls. Bulls were also sacred to Dionysus, who also has ties to transformation, and the Greeks equated him with Osiris. I'm sure there are many others, but just throwing a few ideas out there.
SilverCrescent

Post by SilverCrescent »

I think I'll look into Osiris and Dionysus further. I felt something when I read Osiris's name, but then it was gone, so I don't know if that was just my imagination or not. Either way, maybe looking further into these two will get me somewhere. Thanks again Siona!
SilverCrescent

Post by SilverCrescent »

It's Zeus. I am 99.9% sure it is Zeus.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”