Synesthesia in Paganism

Questions and discussions about psychic ability, mediumship, channeling, automatic writing, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, dream premonitions, telepathy, empathic/empathetic ability.
springsgrace

Synesthesia in Paganism

Post by springsgrace »

Hi everyone,
I was curious about your views on synesthesia and its link with Paganism. Basically, synesthesia is a fairly common trait where a person attributes one sense/sensation to another. For example, someone might "taste numbers" or "smell colours".
Since colour and numbers and things like that have such a strong prominence in Paganism, it would be interesting to see how someone might use this trait in magickal practice, or if it has meaning behind it to you.
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
Sakura Blossom

Re: Synesthesia in Paganism

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Synesthesia has always been an interest of mine, and I had to wonder if I might have it to some extent because I do this. I'm still looking into it...

But anyways, this is a really interesting topic. I cannot speak on the matter myself, as I've never really thought about it, but I could imagine it would make the practice more... Intimate? Not intimate, but maybe more... Personal?

It would definitely be a way to connect with your practice more, I think. I'm interested to see if anyone experiences this fully and will comment. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
random417

Post by random417 »

springsgrace wrote:Hi everyone,
I was curious about your views on synesthesia and its link with Paganism. Basically, synesthesia is a fairly common trait where a person attributes one sense/sensation to another. For example, someone might "taste numbers" or "smell colours".
Since colour and numbers and things like that have such a strong prominence in Paganism, it would be interesting to see how someone might use this trait in magickal practice, or if it has meaning behind it to you.
I know a synesthetic who practices magic. On one hand, she always has a correspondence for something, because they ARE the same thing for her. On the other, they don't usually match up with traditional correspondences. Her correspondences are a lot more personalized than anyone else I know.

It does make it harder sometimes, when absolutely everyone else says one thing, and she knows another.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

random417 wrote:I know a synesthetic who practices magic. On one hand, she always has a correspondence for something, because they ARE the same thing for her. On the other, they don't usually match up with traditional correspondences. Her correspondences are a lot more personalized than anyone else I know.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, random417.

There are several synesthetes among us, springsgrace, so you're in good company. :wink: This is the only place I've ever mentioned my synesthesia to anyone. I have no desire to talk about it elsewhere, really. I've been alone with it, and since that's been the case, the thought of it kind of makes me feel sad. Conversely, it makes me happy that there are others here who understand, and even experience it. Yay! That rocks.

It's an intriguing question you've posed in your OP, springsgrace. I will have to give that some thought. I have never really consciously thought about my synesthasia in relation to aspects of paganism...not consciously at least. But I'm thinking that subconsciously I may have employed it during spellwork sometimes, on a deeply instinctual, "animal" level so to speak, if that makes any sense. I've never verbalized it, though. I totally "get" random417's friend having her own "personalized correspondences" as a by-product of the influence synesthasia has had on her magical practices. That really resonates with me.

Anyway, here are a couple old EUTM posts about this subject that may be of interest to you:

Psychic Abilities with Smells

Sound Has Patterns

And here are links to various articles and websites about synesthesia that I just randomly pulled off the internet, for your perusal, as well:

Inside the Mind of a Synaesthete

Are You a Synesthete? Creativity, Red Fives, and Orange Tuesdays

Synesthesia Battery

Clairolfaction on Aeclectic Tarot forum

Synesthesia Project

Cheers,
K

jessicasoard

Post by jessicasoard »

Hello! Sorry to stick a post on a dated thread.

I am Random417's friend he mentions here.

My Synesthesia only applies to intuitive psychic info I am getting.

Some examples: Deception is almond flavor. Fear is cold. Guilt often sounds like an echo.

I'm not sure I could use it in Magickal practice per se, as it's incoming info & pretty specific to what's happening at that moment.

Be Well

Return to “Psychic Ability, Precognitive Dreams, Empathy”