forget after you cast?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Kitty

Re: forget after you cast?

Post by Kitty »

I've heard this before, I believe it's a wiccan belief but I'm not 100% sure on that
I think it might be one of the things cassandra eason plugs quite a bit [again not sure it's her but there definately is an author who's very strong in it, cba to check right now lol]
personally I don't follow it to a t but I don't tend to dwell on a spell after it's done, mostly because that's my personality

I think the function of the saying is something along the lines of that if you're focusing so much on the spell and looking for how it might've worked, then it is distracting you from actually achieving your goal, so it's definately a fair point, but as always, with some poeple it'll work and come natrually but others will automatically reflect on it more than others
it's just a matter of preference and personality I think :)
xx
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Greek_Male_Witch wrote:Moon Stone, without trying to attack you or something, but if you put it that way, then your opinion isn't a fact as well,
Correct, no one's opinion is a fact. This is why I do not ever make claims that my opinions are facts, which means if some one asks me a question about a thing such as this, I would never say something along the lines of "Well it MUST be this way....or you are REQUIRED to do blah blah blah" However, I would say the fact that me as well as others have never been affected by this does tend to contradict and call into question if what the author of the book says is a "fact". If many people are able to still have a spell work even after thinking about it, then it can never be claimed that it is a fact that no spells will work if some one thinks about it and does not forget about it afterward. Not to mention, if thinking about it will either "undo" it as some one else mentioned above, or make it not work, then there would not be such a need for spells that undo casted spells, as it would be as simple as thinking about and focusing on the spell you casted.
if my opinion doesn't matter, then your doesn't matter as well, see where I'm going with this?
No, actually I do not see where you are going with it because (1.) you were not clear that this was your opinion as you referred to a book. More importantly (2.) I never ever made the claim that your opinion does not matter.
its paths, you follow a different one, and I follow a different one, the OP asked me, and I repled based on MY experiences,now he did not liked my answer so he asked you, and you told him your opinion,
Notice my last reply to the post author revolves around pointing out how IF some one believes that by thinking about it, it will make it not work then it won't. But if someone else doesn't believe that it will make it not work then it will still work. So as you see, this is not a dog in the debate, I agree with this.
but please do not underestimate what I learned, I have seen them work before my very eyes.
I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that I have never had any experiences, as well as many others, of thinking about a spell after it's casted screwing it up, which renders me excellent reasons to suspect that it does not. It does for you, because you believe it will. It doesn't for me, because I believe it won't.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Kitty wrote:I've heard this before, I believe it's a wiccan belief but I'm not 100% sure on that
I think it might be one of the things cassandra eason plugs quite a bit [again not sure it's her but there definately is an author who's very strong in it, cba to check right now lol]
personally I don't follow it to a t but I don't tend to dwell on a spell after it's done, mostly because that's my personality....
it's just a matter of preference and personality I think :)
That's all fine and dandy that some people believe it. I do not mind that, even if there is enough to contradict it. People are entitled to believe what they want, and if it sits well with some one to believe in thinking about a spell causing it not to work, all's well for them. When authors or others out there start claiming that their beliefs are "facts" and if their "facts" are not followed to the letter or believed on, then it causes problems for a spell or other things then that's when I do start to mind a bit.
ebenb84

Post by ebenb84 »

i think that what forget after you cast means that you shouldn't really dwell on it. if you think too much about it with thoughts like "it's not gonna work" or any negative things like that then the negativity can put up blocks that can keep the spell from working. now if you think thoughts like 'it's gonna work" then that should add positive energy to the spell. i think it all depends on your outlook. all in all, i really don't think that if you think or talk about a spell that it will really mess it up unless like i said you go around saying or thinking that it's not going to work.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

When authors or others out there start claiming that their beliefs are "facts" and if their "facts" are not followed to the letter or believed on, then it causes problems
I totally agree - it's one of the reasons i dislike a lot of authors that are around

someone said a while back something like 'blood magic is not real magic', they qualified it later as wicca but I was just like '... sigh' before that lol

anyhow back to the post, I definately agree with ebenb84, in that it is negative thoughts that can hinder the effect, but then at the other end you get people who are like 'oh I cast a spell so now I don't have to try' which is equally as bad and another reason the saying could be useful, particularly to people newer to witchcraft
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

ebenb84 wrote: i think it all depends on your outlook. all in all, i really don't think that if you think or talk about a spell that it will really mess it up unless like i said you go around saying or thinking that it's not going to work.
I agree with this. If you keep thinking or dwelling on it NOT working then that boils down to lacking faith that it will work. For those that have this problem I advise to quickly catch yourself and replace it with thoughts that it will and is working. But completely trying to forget that you cast a spell or trying to forget that you did so in general because some author of a book said you should, I think for those that think a lot, can serve to be more of a distraction than it would have been had the person just allowed them self to think about it.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Kitty wrote:but then at the other end you get people who are like 'oh I cast a spell so now I don't have to try' which is equally as bad and another reason the saying could be useful, particularly to people newer to witchcraft
Good point. Spells are typically enhancers and are not to be replacing any sort of personal effort to a goal in mind.
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Moon Stone I didn't said it was a fact as well, he just asked me, and I said what I know, from now on I won't reply to questions such as "How should I cast the spell" because seriously, this is a very personal matter, and someone must find a way of his/her own to do it.

and sorry if it seemed like an attack, it wasn't.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

In my experience, it didn't really matter one way or the other. Sometimes, I will dwell on the outcome...other times I will cast and sort of forget. As far as telling someone...that is absolutely silly. I've told someone close to me on a few occasions that I'd cast one, changed nothing, in the end, I still achieved my goals.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Greek_Male_Witch wrote:Moon Stone I didn't said it was a fact as well, he just asked me, and I said what I know, from now on I won't reply to questions such as "How should I cast the spell" because seriously, this is a very personal matter, and someone must find a way of his/her own to do it.

and sorry if it seemed like an attack, it wasn't.
Then I stand corrected. Also, I still think you should be able to explain your way of casting a spell if some one asks like that. You're opinion is just as meaningful as anyone else and I can see it is not your fault that the author of the thread gave the impression that things were said as if absolute fact.

I will also like to caution the post author about asking questions. When you ask a question, you are going to get various answers because of various beliefs or things that work for others. Listen to what everyone says and then you judge how you want to do things. But I think it can be mildly annoying for some if every time they give you an answer, you then make another post elsewhere going "I heard this....or heard that..." as if to seek contradictions to what they said. That's wasted time on your part as answers are not going to be the same anyways.
haaj

Post by haaj »

Wow... who knew this would be a hot topic. And moon stone, about the caution, i understand what you mean but I've heard so many different theories and the one I specifically asked about, I never heard. SO... out of curiousity I asked. No harm in that, right? I just didn't know if what I heard was misinterpreted by me or if it was a fact. Guess I got a few diff answers.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

haaj wrote:Wow... who knew this would be a hot topic. And moon stone, about the caution, i understand what you mean but I've heard so many different theories and the one I specifically asked about, I never heard. SO... out of curiousity I asked. No harm in that, right? I just didn't know if what I heard was misinterpreted by me or if it was a fact. Guess I got a few diff answers.
Understandable. It can be confusing getting various answers, just always go with what feels the right way for you, even when there is a lot you can learn from others.
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

There are different answers that are equally meaningful to a plethora of questions! GO HAAJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're well on your way!!!
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
haaj

Post by haaj »

Lol Thnx krystal raven. I'm just curious. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can and going to gather as much as I can before doing my own thing Haha. But I do thank everyone for their opinions, answers, etc. It's been extremely helpful.
TheArtOfLife

Post by TheArtOfLife »

to me it seemed that reviewing what you did is not bad, but trying to work on it and change the topic, I guess that is what they meant to say.
I'm not that much experienced, and I am still learning a lot, on school as well on here and with communication between people. I'm more like a socializer, at the moment. haha..

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”