Witchy Asceticism

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Twine
Banned Member

Witchy Asceticism

Post by Twine »

So, I am pondering taking a Vow, dedicating myself to learning truth and perfecting the Craft. It may seem a little drastic, but I find that perhaps it's just what I need..... To be a witch-nun of sorts. While I don't plan on wearing a habit or living in a convent (even if witches were to have such things), I am trying to set up some pretty strict guidelines of things that may distract me from my endeavors. The following is a list of what I have currently come up with:
  • Restrictions:
  • Sex or any Intimate Relationships
  • Drugs (alcohol or any mind-altering substance)
  • Greed/Gluttony (only take what you need)
  • Denying help to others (for personal vengeance or circumstance)
  • Holding grudges or seeking revenge
What else might one add to such a list?
Victoria Mnemosyne

Re: Witchy Asceticism

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

Most ascetic paths include an abstinance from any hedonism, including rich food and drink, luxurious clothing and surroundings, etc
Pythagoreans wore white, simple clothing, and did not eat anything that was believed to have a soul. (which could be interpreted as veganism)
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I never understood why people would deny themselves what was in their nature to want, we worship nature so why should we deny it within ourselves? I agree on most parts though except for the sex bit, sex is nature, if you and your partner want to have it I see no reason not to.

I remember reading something along the lines of
"The body is the temple of the soul, and like with any temple good care and love are the pillars on which it is built. So take good care of your temple lest you ward away the gods."
And I try to live by it. So I agree with most of your points, don't do harm onto your temple and be kind to it. But sex is natural and so I don't see how that would do harm onto your temple.

Things I would add to the list would be... pray/worship daily. I have a nightly vow to thank the lord and lady, I chant while working with the elements and concider the mother and father in my daily activities. Maybe something interesting?
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Abstaining from sex does not mean forsaking nature. Yes, sex is a part of nature but Humans, Dolphins, Elephants, Swans and various breeds of Monkies are really the only ones who perform intercourse more often for pleasure than procreation. As I do not think that Twine was little Twines running around as of yet, I don't see the reason to NOT restrict this activity. Sex, within the Human species has become more about social standards than nature taking the course. Taking that social demand for people to have sex can bring closer understanding of "GOD".

I do agree on the prayer/worship and the dietary restrictions. Maybe not a whole food group but planned fasting and such could help you on your journey.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

If you feel this will help you the most to be this way, I do not see why not. However, this one on the list does concern me a little bit...
Twine wrote: [*]Sex or any Intimate Relationships
More so the "intimate Relationships" part of this statement concerns me. *IF* this vow is meant to be temporary, until you feel you've accomplished what you wanted to, that's one thing. However, trying to deny yourself loving relationships, especially if someone you might fall for happens to come your way during all this might serve more to frustrate and derail you, than it would have been, if you allowed yourself to let this love into your life while you perfect yourself. There is nothing wrong with a loving intimate relationship with some one else, which can be done even when you abstain from sex. This is just the point I would rethink about.
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

Moon Stone wrote:If you feel this will help you the most to be this way, I do not see why not. However, this one on the list does concern me a little bit...
Twine wrote: [*]Sex or any Intimate Relationships
More so the "intimate Relationships" part of this statement concerns me. *IF* this vow is meant to be temporary, until you feel you've accomplished what you wanted to, that's one thing. However, trying to deny yourself loving relationships, especially if someone you might fall for happens to come your way during all this might serve more to frustrate and derail you, than it would have been, if you allowed yourself to let this love into your life while you perfect yourself. There is nothing wrong with a loving intimate relationship with some one else, which can be done even when you abstain from sex. This is just the point I would rethink about.
It's not simply to keep one with nature, but to avoid distractions and things that would keep me from my main goal, being to seek truth and perfect the Craft. So to have a relationship would certainly demand a majority of my time, thereby drawing my attentions away from that which I vowed to keep them on. As far as the sex bit, I just don't like it. It ruins everything and I'd rather just keep as far away from it as possible.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Twine wrote:It's not simply to keep one with nature, but to avoid distractions and things that would keep me from my main goal, being to seek truth and perfect the Craft. So to have a relationship would certainly demand a majority of my time, thereby drawing my attentions away from that which I vowed to keep them on. As far as the sex bit, I just don't like it. It ruins everything and I'd rather just keep as far away from it as possible.
But I'm not talking about being one with nature, or claiming that intimate loving relationships make you one with it. It's about the fact if you wind up making such a vow then some time down the road you happen to fall head over heels for some one (you never know what's around the corner) by having the fact that you made a vow on your mind and feeling that it's hindering you from being able to cuddle or be with this person may very well wind up causing you the frustration and distraction that you are claiming this vow serves to prevent. You are much better off sticking with the abstaining from sex, but not ruling out close relationships with a man in case of this. If the man is meant for you,then surely he will have an understanding heart about your endeavors, including not having sex, or consuming all your time as a distraction. It's just you don't want to wind up making a vow on something like this that could render adverse results.
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

Moon Stone wrote:
Twine wrote:It's not simply to keep one with nature, but to avoid distractions and things that would keep me from my main goal, being to seek truth and perfect the Craft. So to have a relationship would certainly demand a majority of my time, thereby drawing my attentions away from that which I vowed to keep them on. As far as the sex bit, I just don't like it. It ruins everything and I'd rather just keep as far away from it as possible.
But I'm not talking about being one with nature, or claiming that intimate loving relationships make you one with it. It's about the fact if you wind up making such a vow then some time down the road you happen to fall head over heels for some one (you never know what's around the corner) by having the fact that you made a vow on your mind and feeling that it's hindering you from being able to cuddle or be with this person may very well wind up causing you the frustration and distraction that you are claiming this vow serves to prevent. You are much better off sticking with the abstaining from sex, but not ruling out close relationships with a man in case of this. If the man is meant for you,then surely he will have an understanding heart about your endeavors, including not having sex, or consuming all your time as a distraction. It's just you don't want to wind up making a vow on something like this that could render adverse results.
Oh, no! I've already got that taken care of. The vow's only lifted if I find the One, who must be accompanied by a sign to prove to me that they are in fact 'the One,' if you, like I (which you probably don't), believe in that sort of thing. But because my mind functions this way, I am lead to believe that I should believe what I believe because it will lead me to where I need to be. Because I was created to think and believe the way I do so that my beliefs might lead me to where I believe I need to be. You see? XD
Ula

Post by Ula »

What about so many hours of service to the community? Most 'nuns' have a charity or agency they work for even if for a few hours.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

are you planning to cut everything all at once ? I think that would really be an overload to the system, maybe start with a day or a weekend

I'd definately think on it for a looong time before commiting yourself
then again I guess I am a bit of a hedonist lol
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Twine wrote:Oh, no! I've already got that taken care of. The vow's only lifted if I find the One, who must be accompanied by a sign to prove to me that they are in fact 'the One,' if you, like I (which you probably don't), believe in that sort of thing. But because my mind functions this way, I am lead to believe that I should believe what I believe because it will lead me to where I need to be. Because I was created to think and believe the way I do so that my beliefs might lead me to where I believe I need to be. You see? XD
Ah I see! That's good, it looks like you do already have that base covered then and that clears up the concerns I had. :)
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

I have made Vows to the Goddess Isis to preserve and uplift Her name in all things She holds in high regard..... and since she's a lover and an enchantress, I have my work cut out for me. Check out some of these ways to keep high in the Craft.....

1.) Always answer direct questions, even annoying ones, fully and thoughtfully.
2.) Become One with all nourishment, expressing full gratitude. (I eat almost solely organic food or gather/catch it myself when I can, and ritualistically partake in food whenever I'm eating.)
3.) Be sexually available to Women, serving the Goddess as She calls. (Good thing my husband is ok with this!)
4.) Abstain from chemical drugs, use biological alchemy wisely. (I am an herbalist and alchemist, like my Goddess.)
5.) Write down all dreams and visions. (Failing miserably at this one so far)
6.) Remember each of the Holy Days in its own way. (I practice out of several cultures, so am pretty much always getting ready for a Holiday.)
7.) Be an excellent Wife (Meh, I try........)
8.) Mother and nurture any who wish it!
9.) Be available unto others mystically (Thus my presence here..... )
10.) Speak with, bless and serve the Dead. (So now I'm unashamed of my talents!)

I'm sharing mine to illustrate that one's Vows can be very unique and not necessarily "limiting". My heterosexual side also believes in "the One"... as I met Him when I was 13, we married when I was 19. and this Hallow's Eve shall be our 8th wedding anniversary!
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

)O( Krystal Raven )O( wrote:I have made Vows to the Goddess Isis to preserve and uplift Her name in all things She holds in high regard..... and since she's a lover and an enchantress, I have my work cut out for me. Check out some of these ways to keep high in the Craft.....

1.) Always answer direct questions, even annoying ones, fully and thoughtfully.
2.) Become One with all nourishment, expressing full gratitude. (I eat almost solely organic food or gather/catch it myself when I can, and ritualistically partake in food whenever I'm eating.)
3.) Be sexually available to Women, serving the Goddess as She calls. (Good thing my husband is ok with this!)
4.) Abstain from chemical drugs, use biological alchemy wisely. (I am an herbalist and alchemist, like my Goddess.)
5.) Write down all dreams and visions. (Failing miserably at this one so far)
6.) Remember each of the Holy Days in its own way. (I practice out of several cultures, so am pretty much always getting ready for a Holiday.)
7.) Be an excellent Wife (Meh, I try........)
8.) Mother and nurture any who wish it!
9.) Be available unto others mystically (Thus my presence here..... )
10.) Speak with, bless and serve the Dead. (So now I'm unashamed of my talents!)

I'm sharing mine to illustrate that one's Vows can be very unique and not necessarily "limiting". My heterosexual side also believes in "the One"... as I met Him when I was 13, we married when I was 19. and this Hallow's Eve shall be our 8th wedding anniversary!
Oh my! I absolutely adore you! That's a beautiful list. Might you allow me to adopt the following? :)
  • Always answer direct questions, even annoying ones, fully and thoughtfully.
  • Become One with all nourishment, expressing full gratitude.
  • Abstain from chemical drugs, use biological alchemy wisely.
  • Write down all dreams and visions.
  • Be an excellent Wife (When the time comes...)
  • Mother and nurture any who wish it!
  • Be available unto others mystically
  • Speak with, bless and serve the Dead. (While I have no such gifts as yours, I still communicate with the Dead and offer assistance whenever I have the ability.)
Also, in regards to the way you TOOK such Vows. I am planning a blood ritual to the Moon. How did you go about taking the Vow, Krystal? Was it just adopted, or did you have a ceremony? (You don't seem like someone who would skimp on a ceremony)
Tasariel

Post by Tasariel »

I guess that in some ways, the only reason I would have trouble taking vows to abstain from things like sex or relationships is that I think that after such a long time without it, the lack can BECOME a distraction.
Kind of like Shakespeare, I guess hahaha. As soon as the character says they'll never fall in love, and they try to abstain from something, suddenly that's all they can think about.
I think you sound like you're doing things reasonably though, so I have doubts this will happen to you.
It's totally cool that you're willing to go this far though, that's real dedication, and I respect you so much for that. :)
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

Tasariel wrote:I guess that in some ways, the only reason I would have trouble taking vows to abstain from things like sex or relationships is that I think that after such a long time without it, the lack can BECOME a distraction.
Kind of like Shakespeare, I guess hahaha. As soon as the character says they'll never fall in love, and they try to abstain from something, suddenly that's all they can think about.
I think you sound like you're doing things reasonably though, so I have doubts this will happen to you.
It's totally cool that you're willing to go this far though, that's real dedication, and I respect you so much for that. :)
See, the way I feel it, it's not so much a dedication, as it will become a lifestyle. And not much will change in the ways I go about the things I do, really. I do tend to do all of the things I am undertaking, I just feel like I can still be better yet and find that these steps will not only help me in my journey, but also make my life happier and mayhaps even feel more accomplished if I can help people with the skills I have been given. :)

EDIT (and for everyone):
Also, just thinking here.... I believe to become well-rounded, I will have to study the darker side of witchcraft. Which I think is good. Whether I practice it or not, time will decide, but I feel that it is best to bring in as much information as possible. Agreed?

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”