Goddess Bast

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Greek_Male_Witch

Goddess Bast

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Hi, I know she is a protector of family, women and motherhood, plus believed to be Goddess of Justice, she represents the woman that obey (as mother, or wife) but also the independent woman, her symbol is Sistrum, and of course her sacred animals are cats, and all kind of felines (Tigers, lions), her most significant sacred animal is Egyptian Mau cat, temple cats, good so far? now I would like to ask you, to tell me any additional information you have about Goddess Bast.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Greek_Male_Witch

Ummm...lesbianism? not that I'm one of those haters, or lesbianism bothers me, but this is the first time I read Goddess Bast was something like that, I mean back then Lesbianism wasn't so acceptable, so its unlikely they linked one of their favourite Goddesses with Lesbianism, plus I agree with you that Bast have been linked to a lot of stuff, but the mains are family, women, being independent but also a good wife and loyal and justice, in fact it says that a myth wants Bast to slash her enemies or liars with her nails (as a cat she was). Hmm anyway.
Godsmack

Post by Godsmack »

I heard quite differently... I heard it was most widely accepted, back then. In fact, there were actually gay myths about the gods and goddess of Egypt. That's what I've read in my studies, at least.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I know that ancient greeks found nothing wrong with homosexuality, or loving a young boy, for that matter.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

The greeks commonly performed bisexual and homosexual acts.
It wasn't uncommon for a boy to have his first time or to have his first kiss with a man who was married.
He "showed him the ropes" as they say.
*I was adding onto Ravencry's statement since she mentioned it*
WhiteOne

Re: Goddess Bast

Post by WhiteOne »

From what I know of the Goddess Bast or Bastet,
In earlier times she was associated with warfare and the lion and she was the patron of Lower Egypt. But she emerged symbolized as a domestic cat, when Sekhmet embodied war and the lion. Bast was then associated with night rather than day.
Interestingly, she has been associated with the Egyptian Goddesses Mut (the Mother Goddess) and Wadjet (a Snake Goddess), and the Greek Goddess Artemis (the ancient Greeks made the connection between the two).
Purewitch22

Post by Purewitch22 »

Godsmack is right! I'm young, but I've heard and read that a LOT of ancient Gods and Goddesses are rumored as Gays, and Lesbians! Just saying...And I'm not sure of any 'correct' facts.
Blessed Be!
If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were
supposed to be bringing." — Julie Cuccia Watts

“When nothing is sure, everything is possible.” —
Margaret Drabble

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, /
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” — William
Shakespeare
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all
the difference." — Robert Frost
Kitrina Mageia

Post by Kitrina Mageia »

Almost all of the Greek gods and goddesses were bisexual (and plainly so) so it wouldn't surprise me if an Egyptian one was too. But other than that... Pantheon.org (aka, The Encyclopedia Mythica) "Bastet was strictly a solar deity until the arrival of Greek influence on Egyptian society, when she became a lunar goddess due to the Greeks associating her with their Artemis."... It also says she was the daughter of Ra... and "Additionally, Bastet was one of the "Eyes of Ra", the title of an "avenger" god who is sent out specifically to lay waste to the enemies of Egypt and her gods." and finally "Because the Greeks equated Bastet with Diana and Artemis and Horus with Apollo, Bastet became adopted into the Osiris-Isis myth as their daughter (this association, however, was never made previous to the arrival of Hellenistic influence on Egypt). She is stated to be the mother of the lion-headed god Mihos (who was also worshipped in Bubastis, along with Thoth)."
Hope this helps!
Alina_Rose

Re:

Post by Alina_Rose »

Greek_Male_Witch wrote:Ummm...lesbianism? not that I'm one of those haters, or lesbianism bothers me, but this is the first time I read Goddess Bast was something like that, I mean back then Lesbianism wasn't so acceptable, so its unlikely they linked one of their favourite Goddesses with Lesbianism, plus I agree with you that Bast have been linked to a lot of stuff, but the mains are family, women, being independent but also a good wife and loyal and justice, in fact it says that a myth wants Bast to slash her enemies or liars with her nails (as a cat she was). Hmm anyway.
I believe it to be more bisexualism, as she had both love intrests with male and females.
Blessed Be
Aniu

Post by Aniu »

Why is it such a big deal is Bast is bi? DX

Anyway, whenever I get aid from Bast its usually her aiding me in keeping my house full of positive engery. I often feel a cat like pressence sitting on my altar watching me as I do my tarot readings.
Forever live in love and light!
Chleo

Post by Chleo »

Most Egyptian Gods and Goddesses had a few homosexual affairs. Horus and Seth had an affair and it was said that Seth had dominance over Horus. The story goes that Seth invited Horus to his royal chamber and complimented Seth on having "A beautiful backside". Before Seth had ejaculated inside of Horus, Horus caught it with his fingers and ran to his mother Isis. Isis cut off his hand and threw it to the river. Then she ordered Horus to ejaculate on the cabbage of Seth which is one of his main foods. When they went to the court to see who had dominance, they called for Seth's sperm which came from the river. Then they called for the sperm of Horus which came from inside Seth as if he had achieved dominance. The story has much more but this is what I could remember.

Brightest Blessings,
Chleo
Greek_Male_Witch

Hey I know that Greeks endorsed Homosexuality and to be honest even though I'm not Gay or Bi, I believe that our Goddess makes some people Gay, so it cannot be wrong, a Goddess cannot be wrong, and I do not hate people that are gay/bi . and by the way I did not ask about Greeks Ravencry, and please do not believe everything they write, they werent pedophiles, homosexuals yes they accepted homosexuality (not all of them, but it wasn't a taboo back then) but the "fact" that they were pedophiles comes from people that probably saw a painting and they thought "Hmm there is a short person here, hmm MAYBE ITS A KID! I MADE THE DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR!"...So unless a legitimate archaelogist found evidence of that assumption, this is a big fat lie...
Zili

Post by Zili »

do some reasearch please GMW there are stories and myths that say that loving a younger male was alright. Just as there are myths of lesbianism, gay-ness, and being bisexual. they aren't common knowledge to the general public but its something learned once you choose a focus are and I chose to study ancient history and this was mentioned in lectures. just because it says so in a story or a myth doesn't mean it 100% true just means that it was possible.
Alina_Rose

Post by Alina_Rose »

Zili wrote:do some reasearch please GMW there are stories and myths that say that loving a younger male was alright. Just as there are myths of lesbianism, gay-ness, and being bisexual. they aren't common knowledge to the general public but its something learned once you choose a focus are and I chose to study ancient history and this was mentioned in lectures. just because it says so in a story or a myth doesn't mean it 100% true just means that it was possible.
Thats true :)
Blessed Be
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Well, not saying that it is or isn't true, however, way, way back in ancient times, when children hit puberty, that's usually when they were getting married.. So why would it be different for Gods and Goddesses.
Also, as for homosexuality, it wasn't taboo, until the holey (spelled it wrong for a reason) book started saying it was wrong.

So I see the argument may have some validity to it, by simply using common sense.

MOTHERofDRAGONS

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”