Vowels in Sigils?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
MrNitpicky

Vowels in Sigils?

Post by MrNitpicky »

When making a Sigil for myself, is it required that I cross out the vowels or not?

I'm not sure which letters are Vowels so which letters are vowels?
Desire -> Expectation (Fear and Worry is not expectation) -> Action
Holdasown

Re: Vowels in Sigils?

Post by Holdasown »

Vowels are A E I O U. I think your only supposed to take out redundant letters like Bobby would be B O Y. I think.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

it is not necessary to cross out all the vowels yet can be done to lighten the number of letters if say my will to statement is about health and harmony and im left with : m w i o b a l. thats alot of lettering granted i can still manage those but if i wonted to shorten it down i would throw out the vowels and be left with: m w b l.
this is much less and there for much easier to work with.

i have a set by step guide to them on my BoS cus i tend to use them to enhance most of my work
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25636.html
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I would actually cross the letters you can find in other letters. For example w is m and you can find n in m. But that's me. And no, you don't have to cross vowels unless they are redundant.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

You might want to take into consideration what alphabet you plan to use. Not all alphabets have vowels. Some alphabets have letters that share a single symbol. For example, U and V typically share a symbol in the Theban alphabet, but some times the U is left out.
You might also want to consider the size you plan to make the sigil. If it's something you're going to write down on paper, then you can keep all the letters you want, but if you're making the sigil on a small surface, then you may wish to eliminate redundant letters or vowels, to fit your sigil to the small space.
theban1.JPG
theban2.JPG
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Replying to an old post to add my two pesos.

Removing vowels comes from the Hebrew written language doesn’t have vowels

I think of it like text messaging = tx msg. It uses the letters that cover meaning without repetitions.
RoccoR

Post by RoccoR »

⁜→ et al,

Sigils work in any language and in any alphabet character set. If you are using a simple substitution cipher, make your name or your wish/prayer first, then substitute, reduce, then build your sigil. Similarly, if you are going to translate your prayer/wish from one language to the next, do the translation first, then substitute, then reduce, then build your sigil.

The key is to be consistent. This goes for vowel recognition. If you (mentally) recognize "Y" as a vowel, then reduce it out. If not, then leave it. The magic or power will understand (its magic). The sigil is about you and your communion with the magic or the powers. It does not require to have meaning to anyone else. Even if you use a type of enhanced lettering or symbology in your sigil, just be consistent. If you understand what you did, the magic or the power will understand.

Most Respectfully,
R

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”