The Power of Positive Affirmations in Bulimia Recovery

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Positive Mirror Talk.jpg
Try to say positive things to yourself every day.

by Catherine Liberty

Today I’d like to talk to you about the power of using positive affirmations in recovery. In truth, this is a topic I have been excited to write about for a very long time because it is something that helped me immensely in recovery – much to my own surprise. It's also something that I feel can be implemented into recovery regardless of the type of bulimia treatment we're using.

What is a Positive Affirmation?

Positive affirmations are short, positive statements that you can use each day in order to target a specific set of beliefs. In recovery we may choose to use positive affirmations to target our misguided and negative beliefs relating to things like food, weight, body-image and self-worth. It's important to understand that positive affirmations are not intended to be used to block out negative thoughts - nor should we use them to suppress unwanted thoughts. Instead we can use them to gently guide our thoughts and to gradually retrain out natural thought processes.

I must admit, when I first heard about “the power” of positive affirmations I was sceptical. In fact, I found it laughable that just by telling myself I was strong, or courageous, or recovering that I would magically start to believe those things. But that was before I discovered how effective reprogramming our “go-to” thought processes can be. For me it turned out to be an integral part of recovery, which is why I am so passionate about sharing what I have learned about positive affirmations with you today.

What Are "Go-to" Thought Processes?

When I say “go-to” thought processes, what I really mean is the thought process that we automatically engage with in certain situations. For example, if you negatively judge yourself every time you look in the mirror then your brain starts to associate looking in the mirror with negative, self-loathing thoughts. So just by looking in the mirror you can automatically trigger your negative go-to thoughts. Using positive affirmations in recovery can be an effective strategy that helps you to re-write these go-to thoughts.

You were not born thinking negatively about yourself, it is a learned behaviour and no matter how ingrained this learned behaviour may be, it can be changed. While the idea of positive affirmations may be a little strange, we actually use affirmations all of the time… Every thought we think and every word we say is an affirmation in its own way. All of that inner dialogue, the things we say about ourselves and the judgments we make all affirm the things we believe.

So if you say, “I will never recover from bulimia” – well that’s an affirmation. When you say it enough times it becomes a belief, and it becomes your go-to thought every time recovery is on your mind. On the flip side, if you were to say, “I am recovering from bulimia” the same applies. Say it enough times and it becomes a belief, it becomes your new, healthier and more positive go-to thought.

Of Course, You Might Have to Fake It Until You Make It, Initially

When I first started to use positive affirmations I felt completely silly. I would tell myself things like “I accept my body” or “I trust in the process of recovery” or “today I chose to make recovery-focused decisions” and I would laugh. I felt ridiculous, because I didn’t believe a word I was saying. But for positive affirmations to become ingrained into our subconscious thoughts we have to practice them; we have to say things we might not necessarily believe at first in order to create the changes that we desire; ultimately we have to fake it, until we make it.

Jim_Carrey.jpg
He faked it 'til he made it. Whatevs, as long as it works....

Changing Thought Processes Takes Time

It’s much easier for our subconscious minds to hold onto that previous set of beliefs, so you can’t expect change to happen overnight. But with perseverance your subconscious is able to re-examine those previously destructive core beliefs, and replace them with a set of new, positive and logical beliefs. Many research studies suggest that positive affirmations can significantly assist you in the recovery process and support the idea that affirmations actually reprogram your thought patterns, changing the way you think and feel.

Do Positive Affirmations Work for Everyone?

While you’ll find countless success stories from people who have transformed their lives using positive affirmations there is no way to know if they will work for you unless you give them a try. We are all on unique journeys and even though our destination is the same, getting there is such an individual experience. I couldn’t say for sure if using positive affirmations will benefit you and I've met some people here at Bulimia Help who didn't find them very effective, but you’ll never know unless you give it a try.

Creating Your Own Positive Affirmations

Here are some points to consider if you decide to try out positive affirmations:

* The more passionate and emotional you are when you recite your affirmation the more effective they may be in creating change.

* Positive affirmations work on the basis of conviction and consistency

* Words that suggest that you might fail (e.g. might/try/probably) should never, ever appear in your affirmation statements.

* Affirmations work best when they are positive and in the present tense.

* Repeating affirmations on a daily basis helps your subconscious mind to accept them as reality [It helps to look in the mirror when you do this]

In Need of Some Affirmation Inspiration?

If you’re not quite sure where to start then I would suggest you check out the blog post “50 Positive Affirmations” at A Voice in Recovery. A Voice in Recovery is one of my all time favourite recovery blogs and is dedicated to advocating awareness about eating disorders, body image struggles, mental health issues, substance abuse and self-harm while giving those in recovery a chance to have their voices heard.

Article source: bulimiahelp.org/articles/power-positive-affirmations-bulimia-recovery

[Note: Many (not all, and I honor that) of us here prefer a pagan/nature (and/or a goddess)-centered approach to healing in our lives, along the lines of a "nature/the goddess created me as a beautiful being" orientation, which honors the "whole" person as a part of the larger web of things. So, in case you're not partial to an "Abrahamic god" approach to healing (for example, a Christian orientation along the lines of, "I am just a born sinner, and I'm going to be punished and burned in hell for any mistake I make...that is, unless I join a nearby Jesus cult", then I'll be 'saved' " :wink: ), see this link for ideas about pagan-centered recovery groups: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p188435 ]

Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: The Power of Positive Affirmations in Bulimia Recovery

Post by Seraphin »

I use different affirmations depending on what I'm trying to accomplish this day or week. Most of them help me stay focused on a certain aspect of my spiritual path, a specific goal I was working toward. They remove the mental limitations and I can accomplish anything I want.

With "passive affirmations", ones that I tend to use when I'm only capable of hanging on with teeth and claws during one of life's wilder rides, using a familiar phrase can be quite useful -- some piece of common sense that I've heard for years, such as "this too shall pass" or, more recently, 'I accept the things I cannot change'. Nothing to memorize there; they remind me I've gotten through hard times before, and I can do it again. These are just ones I've personally used -- and a bit about why they worked for me.

Health Affirmations

In truth, the most vital anti-dis-ease/ sickness component of who we are is the mind. Our unregulated thoughts can become so morbid and negative that they can literally poison every cell and tissue in the body, thereby creating an acidic and weak environment.

Some naturopathists said that by programming our mind, paradigm shifts occurred. Life-affirming, positive thoughts are crucial to create a healthy, more vibrant and youthful image. The opposite is very true when negative harmful thoughts are involved. Negativity attracts acidity. Positivity attracts alkalinity. Pathogens cannot survive in an alkaline environment.

The same truth applies to the spoken word. Whatever it is we affirm for ourselves will affect the mind, body, and soul. If you wake up one morning and declare something negative to yourself like "I feel sick, I'm getting old, I look so stressed, etc." This mental programming has devastating results. A message is sent to every cell and tissue in the body to "become sick, looks old or stressed." However, if we drive away every negative thoughts by replacing them with positive ones. Soon enough, we will transform into something more beautiful being and will look and feel positive.

Actually, in one of the seminar I attended, we did an experimentation based on the experiment of Japanese researcher, Masaru Emoto. And we saw right before our eyes and proved that intention and emotion can affect the molecular structure of everything. We used water in this experiment. The conductor of the seminar shouted foul words at the container of water and froze it. Under a microscope, we saw the water crystals scattered and in disarray. When one of the attendees expressed loving and peaceful thoughts before the water, the molecular structure began forming pleasingly and harmoniously. It seems there is an intuitive comprehension in water and in nature in general.

I have witnessed a lot of sick people who awaken their spiritual identities and begin to understand themselves as life forces and attunes themselves to love and hope, healing begins.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Seraphin wrote:I use different affirmations depending on what I'm trying to accomplish this day or week. Most of them help me stay focused on a certain aspect of my spiritual path, a specific goal I was working toward. They remove the mental limitations and I can accomplish anything I want.
Me too. Sometimes I will carry them around in my wallet, written on a 3 x 5 index card. I'll look at the card anytime I think about it, or if I'm bored waiting in a line or something. A single tarot card could work for the same purpose, too. The Strength card is a wonderful image, especially for someone struggling with the kind of self-esteem issues involved in eating disorder issues.

Seraphin wrote:Our unregulated thoughts can become so morbid and negative that they can literally poison every cell and tissue in the body, thereby creating an acidic and weak environment.
It's like casting an Evil Eye...on ourselves! lol Isn't it bad enough we might get this from the "outside"? Affirmations really are kind of like "self-spells," aren't they. We can focus our attention with them, as you mentioned, "program" ourselves. But this could work against us too, depending on which programming we choose to listen to and base our actions upon.

Body-image-type disorders often involve some really negative, heart-breakingly mean self-talk. Sometimes this self-talk is a memory of really nasty, vindictive things said to us by our parents, siblings or others around us while we were growing up. Sometimes they're just a reflection of our own insecurities. Either way, they're destructive. These "spells" take root in our consciousness, and we begin to play those tapes, again and again, even when we don't want to.

It can be devastating. Sticks and stones will break our bones...but words can mess us up pretty badly, too!

"You are strong and beautiful, just the way you are!"
Strength - The Gilded Tarot.jpg

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I think positive affirmations can be used and helpful in basically most mental illnesses. Positive affirmations are one of the things that they train us in DBT to use. I use positive affirmations for dealing with my self image issues and my self love issues. I even wrote a Self love spell to help with the process. That spell is all about using the positive affirmation about self love and loving yourself with gestures and actions to increase your self love and self acceptance.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Kassandra wrote:Me too. Sometimes I will carry them around in my wallet, written on a 3 x 5 index card. I'll look at the card anytime I think about it, or if I'm bored waiting in a line or something. A single tarot card could work for the same purpose, too. The Strength card is a wonderful image, especially for someone struggling with the kind of self-esteem issues involved in eating disorder issues.
Yeah, same here! My fiancee embroidered the affirmations in my hankie, scarfs, and even in my arm warmers and beanies :D . Every time I used them, they become a reminder of who I am, what can I do and what I am here for. They also become a sign of my Witchy pride :D .I wear those embroidered affirmations with pride and with my head's held high.

Looking at this affirmations reminds me to be positive at all times and protects against the urges and impulses of the mind and heart and their tendency to stray.
Kassandra wrote:It's like casting an Evil Eye...on ourselves! lol Isn't it bad enough we might get this from the "outside"?
Gosh...It's like cursing yourself.
Kassandra wrote:Affirmations really are kind of like "self-spells," aren't they. We can focus our attention with them, as you mentioned, "program" ourselves. But this could work against us too, depending on which programming we choose to listen to and base our actions upon.

Body-image-type disorders often involve some really negative, heart-breakingly mean self-talk. Sometimes this self-talk is a memory of really nasty, vindictive things said to us by our parents, siblings or others around us while we were growing up. Sometimes they're just a reflection of our own insecurities. Either way, they're destructive. These "spells" take root in our consciousness, and we begin to play those tapes, again and again, even when we don't want to.

It can be devastating. Sticks and stones will break our bones...but words can mess us up pretty badly, too!

"You are strong and beautiful, just the way you are!"
Strength - The Gilded Tarot.jpg

Yeah I believe Law of Affirmation or Suggestion is closely related to the Law of Attraction. "Like attracts like." We attract what we think, program or say to ourselves. It's like the theory of vibrations, similar energies or vibrations with the same frequencies attract themselves to one another.

Indeed self-spells and mental-programming, can achieve any any goal we have but can also destroy ourselves if we put a monkey wrench to what our mind can do our body-image can be. Realize that thoughts are force, thoughts have energy, thoughts have power.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”