Copying/Pasting Content vs. Hyperlinking to It

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
Kassandra

Copying/Pasting Content vs. Hyperlinking to It

Post by Kassandra »

The "Where Did My Hyperlinked Content Go?" Syndrome

I noticed recently that a lot of past links in some of our older posts are no longer good. When I see that's happened, I try to update them as much as I can, including with my posts. I got to thinking that it might be a good idea for us to start copying and pasting original hyperlinked text whenever we can, rather than just referring people to the info by linking to it in our posts. This is just a thought I had this morning, not saying it should be some kind of rule, or something. Just food for thought, and here's why:

I noticed that with some of my no longer good hyperlinks, I could still find the info on the original website, it was just moved. I think this is because a lot of times people are just re-organizing their websites, and archiving their content to a different part of the website. Or, they may have changed their navigation tabs (this happens a lot), and that 's why the page has a new url. Whatever the case, this means you may have to click around that site, look for the original content you hyperlinked, copy the new address, then go back into your EUTM post and replace the old website address. [sigh]

Here’s another thing I’ve noticed that happens in some instances (usually with the larger news source agencies whose articles we may link to in our posts): the site will avail the content to the public for free for a limited time, a week, say, or 30 days, whatever. Then, when that time is up, they’ll charge the public money to read that info. You have to “join” their site, give them your credit card info, and pay to read the info. [sigh]

So, basically it doesn’t matter the reason. Either way we lose content, and the reader won’t get the full story of what we were trying to say in our original posts because the link to our “supporting info” is no longer good.

Reformatting Copied Text

Therefore, and this is just a thought (I'm not saying people should have to do this), but it may be a good idea if, going forward, we try to do more copying and pasting in our posts, rather than just linking. Notice I said “try” …I know if I’m in a hurry, I just have time to supply a link, and I will try to remember to copy and paste later.

I find copying and pasting pretty tedious and time-consuming because a lot of times I have to copy the text into Notepad first, in order to knock out all the formatting from the source website (otherwise, the text will come out all loopy-looking in my post on this site). I reformat the text such as add/delete “returns,” or put bolding and italics back in the text to make it easier to read, etc..

Pictures

And here's some added tedium. While doing the Notepad thing might be good for the text, it is not good for the photos that were included in the original article. It makes them all go away, so you have to add them to your new EUTM post. Yet another step to do: if I think the pics were important for the story (or I like them, just because), then I gotta’ down-load them, then upload them to the new EUTM post. Some pics need to be uploaded to a 3rd party site like Picassa, then that link added here to display the pic.

But here again, what if something happens to the pic at the 3rd party site? A lot of cool pics are gone after a while, like in this post: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p181238, or this one also on that thread: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p181298 (is this just a Photobucket glitch?) I liked those nature pics. :cry: Well, that's why I made sure to upload my willy peppers in this article, rather than 3rd party them: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25454.html. See, I didn't want my willy peppers disappearing on me.

Anywhoo, as though it's not headache enough to copy, reformat and paste text, maybe the best thing to do for pics is not use a 3rd party, but use the “Attachment” function (at the bottom of the edit screen when you’re writing your post), and upload the pic directly.

Phew. Just writing about this is making me (mentally) tired, haha but it was on my mind recently when looking at older posts. So, I thought I’d mention it. Bottom line, it seems that if you think the link(s) you’ve included in your post are really important to your make your point (or you just like what is at the linked site, just because), you might think about copying and pasting the original content, and/or upload the photos, from the linked site. From what I’ve seen, there’s a possibility that your linked urls may just go bye bye.

Would welcome your comments on any of the above, anybody.

Thanks.

Heartsong

Re: Copying/Pasting Content vs. Hyperlinking to It

Post by Heartsong »

I think that's a very good idea, Kassandra. Very practical. :)

As an English major, though, "citation" was beaten into my head, so I get very leery of just pasting the information, even if I link the source to it too, because I really don't want to be accused of taking said information without permission (it's only my own personal paranoia, I don't think anyone on here is mean enough to flunk me or something, lol). Personally, I'm going to start putting this into practice, and if I give you an annotated bibliography with the information I share, I give you all permission to tease me mercilessly.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Heartsong wrote:As an English major, though, "citation" was beaten into my head, so I get very leery of just pasting the information, even if I link the source to it too, because I really don't want to be accused of taking said information without permission...
Absolutely. I think we should still post the link, nonetheless. Not all urls change, just some. And I too am a proponent of citing one's source.

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

As much as I like the idea, I don't think it's acceptable to post an entire article on another site, even with the source cited. I think the most you can paste, according to copyright laws, is a few sentences - maybe a short paragraph. The problem is that my site would be competing with the other site to get search rankings for that article. If they wrote the article, they obviously will want the search results for it and could get angry if they see us copying their content. So it sort of depends what kind of site you're copying stuff from. A personal homepage type of site is usually okay. They aren't likely to send lawyers after me, but someone like CNN, AP News, and other big names could easily find the content and start a problem over it. There's really no good solution for the problem that I can think of. You could paraphrase what you want to share, I suppose, but who wants to go to that kind of trouble?

In some old posts, in 2011 and earlier, pictures may not show up because they were coded with HTML instead of BBCode. In phpBB 3.0 (the newer version of the forum software) they began disallowing the use of HTML, so all the old posts that used HTML code look like gibberish (code) or have missing pictures in them. If I see one like that, I edit the post and change the HTML code to BBcode. I went through the entire Artwork forum and fixed all those, deleting the broken links.

I wish I had a better solution for you. It's just really risky to copy a lot of content from another site and stick it on my site.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Yeah. After reading your post, I emailed the guy who wrote the article I copied and pasted today (in my post, "Christmas: Christianity's Ginormous Psy Op").

He said he'd rather I "quote about half" of it in my post, then just provide a link to the rest of it so people would visit his site, because he makes an income on the foot traffic. So, I did.

Ew, I got alooooot of editing to do in the weeks to come!

Thanks.

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Yeah, it stinks really. It would make my day (year, life, etc) if I could just copy what's on other people's sites. There used to be all these 'free articles' websites where I would get articles for my site and you just had to put the author's blurb and link at the bottom. Those have sort of fallen out of use now in favor of newer types of site promotion. I do wish site owners wouldn't rearrange their sites without setting up redirects from the old page to the new one. I can't imagine why people do that. It seems senseless to me.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Starwitch wrote:There used to be all these 'free articles' websites where I would get articles for my site and you just had to put the author's blurb and link at the bottom. Those have sort of fallen out of use now in favor of newer types of site promotion.
I like those free articles websites. Sometimes I want to post something on my blog, but I don't feel like writing, so I signed up with one of them a while back, thinking it was a great idea. I really like the concept. None of the articles, however, were anything close to a "spiritual" theme. All of them were about business, or homemaking, or other stuff that didn't fit my blog. I would get all these announcements that new articles were available, but they were about real estate, or making cookies, etc. So, I cancelled my membership since it was totally useless, for my purposes, at least.

Starwitch wrote:I do wish site owners wouldn't rearrange their sites without setting up redirects from the old page to the new one. I can't imagine why people do that. It seems senseless to me.
Yeah, they lose their own foot traffic that way. They don't know how many people may have linked to their pages (well, I guess some site stat programs might provide reports of that sort of thing). I think there's one word for it: lazy. :wink: Or, maybe some site owners don't know any better, I don't know. It's so easy to create websites now, anyone could do it.

But, I love those article exchange services, though. Great way to "advertise" to a related audience, without being obnoxious, and at the same time contributing useful content, etc. Too bad they've fallen out of popularity, for whatever reason. That might not be a big money maker, but I bet it would still be a somewhat lucrative endeavor for someone to do, since the there's really no competition for it now. Like, keep the topic narrowly focused, such as make the articles submitted/available only about Wicca, and nothing else, for instance.

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Yeah, a Wiccan articles site would be great if you could get writers to contribute to it.

What's really a waste are all the now-deleted websites that used to have great content on them, content that I would've gladly put on my site to preserve (and catch the traffic from), but the site owners just removed it and deleted the sites.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Yeah, I copy a lot of material and back it up on my computer, or print it out and put it in a notebook. Lots of sites going away.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Kassandra wrote:Yeah, I copy a lot of material and back it up on my computer, or print it out and put it in a notebook. Lots of sites going away.
This is why I have printed off the materials on websites completely before. I'll have a paper bit of material i can use and refer to.
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

may I say something u probably don't care about? english is not the native language for some of us so only seeing a big pasted text is intimidating enough; not respond to it. or maybe someone has no time to read all that. there's the option of making the forum private so that a text or an url doesn't appear on google and u don't have to worry about copyright issues.
*Blessed Be*
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

well, being a web dev, and knowing forums, I can at least provide a resolution for you on the competing with other sites for page hits. Simply set the spiders.txt to ensure that bots don't index the site. I mean, no, they don't have to follow your instruction, but if they index it anyways, it's not your fault =p

As to a more permanent solution, I can at least comment on that too. On a site in the past, I was in the process of setting up a site that was basically a library of sorts. There are ALOT of public domain articles and information, and on top of that, some authors will contribute articles and short pieces sometimes, just depends who. If this is something you think might benefit this site as well, I would be up to re-creating the site, and trying to gather the articles and resources again.
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”