Significance of a crow cawing (calling) at night

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
[EarthWitch]

Significance of a crow cawing (calling) at night

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Maybe this is in the wrong spot, but does anyone know why a crow would be calling at night? I have one doing this and am feeling a little disturbed by it...not of the noise, but the significance.
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Kolohe Redux
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe Redux »

They're usually quiet at night, does yours call out at night on a regular basis or just tonight? Probably a predator around or some disturbance, if you're looking for some personal significance then be aware and be careful which is always good to do anyway.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Thank you for your response. This has happened on several occasions. It starts out close to my window then moves farther away, then returns. It lasts for fifteen or twenty minutes of loud calling. Then is silent. I wonder if there is a predator disturbing it, or if there is some "spiritual significance?

-shelley-
nhh

Post by nhh »

The symbolism of the crow is linked to the common interpretation of the herald of death is only a VERY NEW PHENOMENON and basically an interpretation only developed in Europe. However even if we are to take this intepretation it's not as bad as it seems. If you have ever studied tarot you will know that the death card is not all doom and gloom. It is change. That is all death is. We see in the riderwait image that there is a sun in the background which we are told is rising. Every end is also a begining of something new.
To further this interpretation I would like to show you an alchemical image:
I know it;s a bit small, but each of the little circles represents a stage in alchemical development. You will see that between saturn and jupiter on the star is a black bird sitting upon a skull. This represents the alchemical process called Negrido. The breaking down of the old to make way for the new. It is the dark night of the soul neccessary for spiritual growth. If you have recently begun on a new spiritual journey or a new phase in your journey this could make sence.
In ancient greece, these ravens were birds messengers of the gods, and as strange as it may seem were considered solar birds. In Celtic legends they also were messengers, they were the holy birds of Oden, they are symbols of thunder and wind and in Native american symbolism, the crow is often used to symbolise the sky god.
But then again it could just be a random bird...Hope this has helped.
... I suppose it's more important to ask yourself, What do you think it means?
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Thank you so much! That was awesome. I think you're right...I need to ask what it is saying to me...thanks again!

-shelley-
nhh

Post by nhh »

You're very welcome. :D
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

If it starts close and then moves away maybe it wants you to follow it? Just a thought.

Harry
fred

Re: Significance of a crow cawing (calling) at night

Post by fred »

Hi everybody, new here. Found this thread via the almighty Google. Oddly, this was the only hit of any real value. The others were just pedantic.

Anyway, I'm hanging out here in the Nevada desert being a divorced, retired empty-nester, just me and the Black Lab. Now, I hear crows all the time during the day, but never at night. But, last night about an hour after sunset a single crow flies right over my truck/trailer and caws twice while flying south to north. I think right away, what the hell. And four hours later as I'm getting ready to hit the sack somebody comes driving up this isolated road where I'm at, and that's a first. NOBODY drives up this road at night, and I've been here in the same spot for two months "snowbirding" from Colorado.

It was kind of creepy, they lit up my campsite with their headlights and stayed there for a minute. The dog was barking inside the trailer and I couldn't see what they were up to since their headlights were right in my eyes. No moonlight so it was pitch black, all I could do was listen for footsteps approaching the trailer. No footsteps, the dog barking, they slowly turned around right in front of the truck and went back the way they came.

So I have to believe there was a warning from that crow. It was a unique experience and I've been around quite a bit. Been outdoors camping all over the Western US from California all through the Four Corners states since I was a kid, and that's the first time I can remember hearing a crow calling at night while flying. Once in an odd while you might hear one caw once it's settled down for the night, but last night was the only time I can remember hearing one call while flying in pitch black. I figured I'd share the story, make of it what you will.

Am I crazy or was there something to it?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I'm always a little uneasy when a crow calls at night. At the very least the bird has been disturbed by something and acting as the herald to approaching visitors. Whether the visitor be good or bad may yet to be known. I would be a bit on my guard Fred....if someone approached my trailer in the middle of the night. Of course who knows? a fellow traveler needing help? or rogue villain wandering the campgrounds?
...my question is how cool is it that you get to do this? I mean travel around and park where ever your heart desires?
On another note I have associated crows and ravens with family, as they are very family oriented. Maybe the crow was speaking to you about a family member you need to get in touch with, or is a family member scolding you. When crow makes a nest in a tree at your home I have found this to be an omen of a death in the family, could be close could be a distant relative. I think the nesting is making a home for newly dead to be received...or I could be way off...just some food for thought.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Bran th' Blessed

Post by Bran th' Blessed »

By my calendar, this new moon tonight is the Crow Moon. I noted it before I read this thread because I was born on the Crow Moon, 18th day of the 540th moon of the 7th Age of Baldur. Tonight's moon is the 1340th moon of the same age. So I'm 800 moons old. Crows are my totem animals and I'm very fond of them.

I kinda agree that you have to go by your own heart with this. Open yourself to your intuitive voice. If it feels like a warning for you, it probably is--even if the crow is doing something very routine from its own perspective. My feeling from your posts is that you are concerned, you are sensing a message in the crow's actions.

Does the crow always fly away in the same direction? If so, it may be following a typical flight path for that bird. But it could be that the direction of its flight is a clue to the message. Flight to the north could invite you to ponder a mystery of some sort. Flight to the west could signal a passing or loss of something or someone. You get the general idea. Let your heart (spirit) tell you what it means. It will.

Bran th' Blessed
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Practicing bird augury is a good habit to get into if you're practicing witchcraft for any length of time.

As Bran has alluded to, the important thing is what does it mean for you?

As mentioned by Firebird - I would be on my guard a little, especially if you have worked with the Morrigan or with Celtic deities.

In bird augury, one can take note of which direction the crow flies from ie left and right. Take note if any birds disposition in relation to you, and how it's interacting with the environment generally, when trying to interpret these things.

For me, a day bird calling at night indicates something out of the natural order of things.

Ancient Egyptians believed that birds were the souls of the dead, particularly sparrows.

I've been seeing lots and lots of Golden headed cranes round my house of late, and Ibis,and for me these are both lucky.

When my Uncle died, I had a large owl fly in and sit on my refrigerator for about an hour, staring at me. We sat in the dim light together for about an hour before the beautiful creature departed. In life my Great Uncle was indeed a wise old owl. I was sad to see him go.

Again, it's up to you to interpret the Omen, if infact it is one. Perform divination if you are unsure.

Blessings
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
fred

Post by fred »

firebirdflys wrote:I'm always a little uneasy when a crow calls at night. At the very least the bird has been disturbed by something and acting as the herald to approaching visitors. Whether the visitor be good or bad may yet to be known. I would be a bit on my guard Fred....if someone approached my trailer in the middle of the night. Of course who knows? a fellow traveler needing help? or rogue villain wandering the campgrounds?
...my question is how cool is it that you get to do this? I mean travel around and park where ever your heart desires?
On another note I have associated crows and ravens with family, as they are very family oriented. Maybe the crow was speaking to you about a family member you need to get in touch with, or is a family member scolding you. When crow makes a nest in a tree at your home I have found this to be an omen of a death in the family, could be close could be a distant relative. I think the nesting is making a home for newly dead to be received...or I could be way off...just some food for thought.
Blessings, Firebird
Thanks Firebird. Been three years almost to the day since my first post. After that incident I posted above 30 days later March 27, 2014 there was a shutdown of the BLM land I was camping on. The story is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliven_Bundy

Cliven Bundy was/is a local cattle rancher in Mesquite, NV, I'd seen him around town back then very obviously displaying rightwing militia kind of tags on his truck. It was an under-reported story at the time, but Bundy and some militia groups had an armed standoff with BLM law enforcement, I-15 was shut down.

Maybe that was the warning, and maybe that vehicle that came to my campsite was a scout for the militia groups. I don't know, but I'll be on my guard in future if I hear a crow calling at night. I got edgy after that incident and went back to Colorado about a week later in early-March, I just didn't feel comfortable there by Mesquite.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for checking back in Fred. :D
It's good to confirm these sightings and validate the outcome. Crow are our winged kin in so many ways, there to warn and give advice, grandfather crow is a wise one.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”