How can you tell what element you are?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
brokenxdreams

How can you tell what element you are?

Post by brokenxdreams »

I've heard three different sides on this: 1)Which ever element you like most is your element. 2) Depending on which month you were born and 3) Depending on your personality.

Which one is true?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't know, but I know that I'm not any single element. I'm born water (pisces), I love water and earth, and I have strong connections and traits to water earth and air. Fire, while I'm working on my relationship to that element, is the only one that doesn't seem to be 'me'.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

all of them and none of them are true, alot of things you will hand have elemental associations, such as the month you were born for instance, well its not exactly the month but based on the zodiac, libra is associated with air for me, but i dont feel air is my strongest element i relate too. the planets have associated elements, so birth charts could also reflect and conflict. then theres personal relation, which in turn again may conflict with the aboves. but what makes one true or false i feel is choice, which one do you feel best with, which do you feel more like.
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

Well I've always had a thing for water and fire..But those two [obviously] contradict.
I thought you could only have one element?
Orion

Post by Orion »

Hard to build a world on one element, ;)

There are a few ways to look at what could be considered someone's primary element. If you use Zodiac, like Sobek's example, I am a Sagittarius, fire. Very often you end up having a lot of personality traits that are generally within that element.

But an element only goes so far. For me, I am strongly aligned with Fire and so the general traits fit me almost to a T. Though folks that tend to work with improving themselves and studying such like the elements will not be as heavily based on a single element, like Sercee who is more diverse.

Back to the original question: Determining your base element comes from such like zodiacs. Though you may still meet someone and be like "Definitely a water" by observing their mannerisms. Kind of like "Definitely a New Yorker" :P.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
[ForestWitch]

Post by [ForestWitch] »

It's a good question; I've often been confused by this myself. Theoretically I'm a fire sign (Leo) and I guess my personality fits well enough, but I feel more drawn to earth and water as elements. I finally concluded that perhaps I'm a little afraid of the traits in myself that make me a typical fire sign so I'm more drawn to earth and water as a way to balance those traits..
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Well, having some background in astrology, I think that it's absurd to think of someone as *only* having one element. That idea gained popularity because of sun-sign astrology. Since one is obviously made up of more than just the traits of your sun sign, (which is why Sun sign astrology is frequently wrong) it is even more simplistic to say that a person only takes traits from one element.

HOWEVER: Elements are fairly complex concepts. For example, fire, while the "simplest" of elements, also has another side. It is nurturing as well as destructive. For example... our ancestors would never have become what we are today if we didn't have the warmth of fire. The gentleness of a heat pad is ultimately from fire, despite the fact that many people associate electricity with air. Cooking has all the nurturing of the Earth element but would be impossible without the heat from fire. The fires of passion help create the world population. That desire to protect your loved ones from harm.... that's FIRE! While water is often considered the romance element, some of our softer feelings are also the result of fire.

I also think that the desire for change, to improve your lot is a fire reaction. To build better, and the willingness to roll up your sleeves and do unpleasant things for future gain all fall into this category. So don't compensate for it TOO much. :-)

It is one of my errors, actually. I have loads of air and water in my makeup, and a lack of fire. I'm prone to depression and a lack of decision making, not because I can't analyze things, but because I analyze things to death trying to come up with the right balance for all.
Elem

Post by Elem »

Interesting question. Personally, I've always seen it as caused by fluctuations in the particular amounts of each Element throughout the energy around you whilst you're developing. Being exposed to a higher 'concentration' of one particular energy may mean your mind is more open to that type of energy.

It is likely that the concentrations fluctuate depending not only on geographic location, but time as well. Regular patterns of change leading to the increase of a certain 'type' of Element being born at certain times.. But your birth date is not to be considered an absolute 'definition' for the Element you best associate with.

Your mind is flexible, so it is likely that you may develop associations with other energies throughout the course of your life, depending on your experiences. Whilst these experiences may be through no fault of your own, they may also be because you have made the effort to try and connect with a particular Elemental energy.

However, it should be noted that our personality has a little more depth than being shoved into one Elemental category out of four :). The Element you associate with may affect the way you act in subtle ways, but it is just that - subtle. There are numerous other, and more substantial, causes for the way you behave - which may, or may not, coincidentally correspond with the Element you associate with through birth date.

Don't let it become a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. Just because you're technically born under a Fire Element, it doesn't mean you can't connect with your 'Watery' side too ;) haha. These things can't be defined in black and white terms, since they're flexible.. So there's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to any of the three options you gave. There's many, many reasons that you might associate with one Element as opposed to another.. But don't let it bog you down. It won't stop you working with any of the other Elements.. It just means that that one, or two (or three haha) may come a little easier to you :).

Elem
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Yep. I was being simplistic, imagine that! :-S
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

I'm an Aquarius, which makes my zodiac element air, but I've always felt drawn to water and fire.

Wouldn't it be easier just to say that everybody's element is Aether?
Elem

Post by Elem »

Depending on your view, that could be correct, but it would have to mean everyone is Aether, because it's the Element that they are made of.. As opposed to the Element that you are most like, or best associate with :). Few people choose to work with the Element of Spirit (Aether, if you will), from what I've experienced. It's not as abundant as the other Elements, being naturally tied down onto living objects.. To work with it, you'd either have to create it, or take it from another living thing.

Just my viewpoint, of course.. Others might contend that the Element of Spirit is a separate Element entirely, just like the other four, and has its own distinct energy. Personally, I'd argue that Spirit is a combination of the four base energies (Elements) we traditionally work with. In my eyes, and from my experience, Spirit is 'created' when the energy of the four individual Elements is compressed so tightly it becomes something different entirely..

Almost like how the compression of mass can reach a point upon which it collapses in on itself, forming something entirely new - a black hole. To me, Spirit is like this. An energy anchored to every living thing - one which fluctuates in size as it absorbs further energy, and expels it. In my mind, this 'singularity' of energy which is anchored to you is your soul.

Anyway.. Rambling.. See ya around!

Elem
Wolf*

Re: How can you tell what element you are?

Post by Wolf* »

brokenxdreams wrote:I've heard three different sides on this: 1)Which ever element you like most is your element. 2) Depending on which month you were born and 3) Depending on your personality.

Which one is true?
accually, all of those point me to the element of air, so I guess thats my single element. lol.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

JC, you brought up a good point that I've only recently realized myself about the nature of fire. Yes it is both nurturing and destructive. For example, look at a forest fire. It burns the trees but the only way for pine cones to open up so the seeds can be sown is by fire. Anyway, the way I've been trying to get closer to it is more to do with loving the day and the warmth and cycles of the sun. Though I'm sure I'll have a few good bonfires this summer, too...
Quote:

Depending on your view, that could be correct, but it would have to mean everyone is Aether, because it's the Element that they are made of.. As opposed to the Element that you are most like, or best associate with . Few people choose to work with the Element of Spirit (Aether, if you will), from what I've experienced. It's not as abundant as the other Elements, being naturally tied down onto living objects.. To work with it, you'd either have to create it, or take it from another living thing.
The way I see it, the Spirit element, Aether, exists most strongly when the other elements are in balance. So while you could say that you were made from it, you can't really say that's what you are unless you are close to the other 4 elements. Just my opinion, though :)
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Re: How can you tell what element you are?

Post by Vigdisdotter »

brokenxdreams wrote:I've heard three different sides on this: 1)Which ever element you like most is your element. 2) Depending on which month you were born and 3) Depending on your personality.

Which one is true?
In my case, all of the above :)
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

I'd argue that Spirit is a combination of the four base energies
Aether was also called 'Quintessence', which is pure energy. All the elements are made up of energy, so technically, it's aether that makes up the four elements and the universe at that.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”