Pagan Baptismal Rituals

Talk about anything you want to here.
Lucine

Pagan Baptismal Rituals

Post by Lucine »

Ok, so I was on the bus on my way to work this morning and a sort of not fully formed question popped into my head. Why do Christians use a pagan water ritual to baptise their followers? Like I said the question isn't fully fleshed out, but bare with me. I was quite certain even though I had never heard it or read it anywhere that baptizing with water is a pagan ritual. And it just occured to me right there on the bus. So, I thought as soon as I get a chance I will google some info on it. Sure enough here is the link

http://home.earthlink.net/~pgwhacker/Ch ... ptism.html
Reason is out to lunch. How may I help you?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol, i think they use the "dont ask dont tell" policy with alot of thier rituals, like in all certainty im sure they think they invented prayer aswell.
Lucine

Post by Lucine »

As far as I can tell they didn't invent anything. I went to a christian church for a few years, I was even baptized. Now, I am seriously TO'd, I will never ever justify my faith to a christian, I do however have a few questions for them.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol i agree. however what does "TO'd" mean?
[Kate]

Post by [Kate] »

maybe she meant po'd as in pissed off...i have no clue
Kate
Lucine

Post by Lucine »

TO'd is means ticked off. It might be a redneck thing. I am not sure. I will ask if anyone in Michigan knows where it came from.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

My mom uses the term "ticked off" too. I think it's a euphimism for "pissed off". I'm an ex-Michagander, so I don't know if I qualify. :-)

Then again, no one is a Michagander anymore, they are Michiganians now. <shrug>
spinneyhex

Post by spinneyhex »

When Pagans countries became Christianised this did'nt happen over night and many people whilst turning(or being turned) to christianity would have still used their Pagan rituals.

Always, when looking up Christian/Pagan similarities get proper historical fact. Many of the fluffier website work on fiction and fantasy.
The rituals we have now are very Wiccan, a neo pagan religion that is just 60 years old and many members of the original Wicca were raised in very christian times and no doubt wrote the rituals/Laws with christianity in mind.
The origin of the "wheel of the year" is a mix of Traditions :)
Broadsword

Post by Broadsword »

I'm a Michigander.

Yes I've heard ticked off, but I've not seen TO'ed. Why did you have to ask someone from here?

As to the Pagan water ritual, yes lots of their stuff is just been recycled from other religions. They used the whole manger thing to rope in the horse cults.

Hey Lucine , Did you call me a redneck? :shock:

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”