Year Wheel

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Witch1693

Year Wheel

Post by Witch1693 »

ok i need something that is a date and description of every wicca holiday, sabbat, and esbat. also i need a basic description of what the ritual should be.
Rein

Post by Rein »

Well the rituals used very from person to person, but you should be able to find decent discriptions of the holidays on different websites and books you can buy online. If you know the names of some of them you can search Wikipedia for information, and the usually have a link to related topics.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: Year Wheel

Post by LaFiamma »

Witch1693 wrote:ok i need something that is a date and description of every wicca holiday, sabbat, and esbat. also i need a basic description of what the ritual should be.
In the neopagan wheel of the year, the sabbats (or as some folks, such as myself, call them, high days), are the "holidays"

If i remember correctly, "esbat" is the Wiccan name for full moon

Yule falls on the Winter Solstice
Imbolc falls on Fevruary 1st or 2nd, depending on who you're asking
Ostara falls on the Spring Equinox
Beltane is at the beginning of May, usually the first, but I believe the 2nd or 5th for some traditions
Midsummer is the Summer Solstice
Lughnassagh is at the beginning of August, usually the first
Mabon is on the Autumn Equinox
Samhain is on the 31st of October, or in the first few days of November, depending on the tradition.

Not Wiccan, so I can't really help with very good ritual info. Unless you want ADF-Druid ritual info...that I cantell you all about...hehe
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

ok thanks!

alex
Comus

Post by Comus »

The wheel is reversed for those in the Southern hemisphere-like me! This is because the festivals are seasonal.
Idz qaala
Kristofski

Post by Kristofski »

On a similar topic, does anyone know anywhere that tells you the dates of the solstaces/equinoxs/moon phases? A website would be good, though somewhere I can get a diary or something would be better. Also are these dates the same in different countries? My logic would say not, though my logic is often wrong.

Cheers!

Kristofski xx
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Kristofski wrote:On a similar topic, does anyone know anywhere that tells you the dates of the solstaces/equinoxs/moon phases? A website would be good, though somewhere I can get a diary or something would be better. Also are these dates the same in different countries? My logic would say not, though my logic is often wrong.

Cheers!

Kristofski xx
the dates are the same in different countries, though the solar days are reversed in the southern and northern hemisphere...the northern hemisphere is celebrating the winter solstice in december while the southern hemisphere is celebrating the summer solstice. But the day doesn't change. If you look to my original response, I responsed with the names and days

The moon phases change...it goes on a 28-day cycle, so there is no set date. NASA has a website with the information. Many local weather reports will also include the moon phases (I believe the weather channel does), there are several websites out there devoted to tracking the lunar phases...google lunar phases calendar and you should find some pretty easily.

Also...if your computer is a Mac, and you're running Tiger, there is a lunar cycle widget that's really nice (If you're not running a Mac and don't know what I'm talking about, it's okay :-)
Lark

Post by Lark »

If you're in the US you might want to pick up a copy of the Old Farmer's Almanac for all of that information. Alternatively, many calendars have it on them as well.

-Lark-
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

Do you guys know whats really freaky? My birthday is on the 2nd of Febuary. I think thats really kool :D
BabyGirl131519

Post by BabyGirl131519 »

A few sites:
http://pagancalendar.co.uk/
www.wicca.com

Also a great calendar to get is Llewellyn's Witches' Calendar
You can get them at Barnes & Nobles or order them online from there or www.llewellyn.com

Hope this helps!
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Thanks for the calendar link BabyGirl :D I already have Llewellyn's 2007 but it's good to compare dates to see if anythings been missed off.
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

<set topic=OFF>

La Fiama: "Crescent: a roll that tastes good with jam." :-)

Yes, the Mac widget feature is very very cool. It even gives you the moon name and times of rise and set. (While you can get this from NASA too, it's handy to have it on your desktop)

<set topic=ON>
spinneyhex

Post by spinneyhex »

http://www.healinghappens.com/wheel.htm

here you go nice pictures as well :wink:
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I've got that calendar, too, Enlightenment. I picked up the datebook also. What do you think of it? I love the information that's there. Not all of it's accurate (the moon months change depending on who you talk to) but Llewellyn's not very good at cross examining what their authors put out anyway. It's beautifully done though.
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Well it's my first Witches calendar Sercee, but I think it's really good (not that I have another to compare it to). The dates are very handy and I like the bits at the back too where there are three or four pages of writing about certian subjects.
I also find the colours for each day handy too. It saves me pulling one of my books out the cupboard to look it up lol.

I got mine from my local book store. It was a funny price though - £7.22 :roll:

I'll deffo be getting next years!
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”