Name for my betta fish

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
moonraingirl

Name for my betta fish

Post by moonraingirl »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone can help me naming my betta fish? He looked like this when he temporarily felt better after treatment of fin rot that he caught at the shop. Now he is sick again so I won't post his current picture. Don't worry, I'm treating him with the best medications I can get! So I hope he will get well soon.

His name used to be Nietzche, but I don't like that name. I just choose it because he looks dark under normal lighting. You can only see light blue under certain conditions and in photos taken with flash.
The main colours you normally see are black and dark red.

Can you think of a good name for him? I'd like something connected to gemstones or dark flowers... Maybe a magical creature.

He is very calm and sensitive but strong because he survived TERRIBLE conditions when he was at the store and he has a chronic disease since then , currently doing third round of antibiotics and a good lady from the US is going to send me a medicine that is difficult to find in Europe.

Can you think of a nice name for him? Image
Bychan Wulf

Re: Name for my betta fish

Post by Bychan Wulf »

After seeing him and hearing his story, the names that come in mind are Dima,Björn,Indra and Lewie (or Levi). They all mean Warrior. And he is a warrior both because of his nature and what he went through. You could also call him Yama (in some cultures if you name your child/pet in this case, after a powerful animal or a death God,he is going to scare the death away and get rid of sickness. )

P.S. Betas are the most resistent type of aquarium fish. It is hard to make one sick. I'm sorry he had to live in such harsh conditions,but it's great that you got him now and do your best to help him.
I wish you luck,an please let us know how it goes :wink:
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
lucylightbringer

Post by lucylightbringer »

Nemo :/
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Looking at the photo, a black orchid comes to mind. There are several species of black orchids, all associated with absolute power. One is Miltonioines leucomella. Call him Milton for short. :mrgreen:
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Thank you for all suggestions, so far I like Milton and Dima the most. I looked up pictures of Miltonia orchid and I love them! Petals resemble beautifully spread betta fins.
"milý " means lovely or kind in my language, too.
So that's my favourite so far. However if anyone has more ideas, I'm waiting for them! :-)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I like warrior, they are fighters after all.
I've not had much luck with these guys, but the goldfish in the fountain love it!
He's a beauty.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Unfortunately, these poor guys are one of the most abused and neglected species of pet fish, together with goldfish.

There's a myth that they live in tiny muddles with dirty water. Some even say they enjoy tiny spaces and don't mind if you don't change their water. Some go to such extremes that they keep them in a vase and don't feed them forcing these 100% carnivores to eat plant roots.

Bettas are active tropical fish who need enough space to swim (at least 20 litres) and they need a heater and regular water changes.

Many people simply don't know this and listen to misinformation that people in pet stores give them. So what is sad that fish suffer and their owners are not aware of it as they believe that the fish gets appropriate care.

It breaks my heart to see them suffer. Many people think that fish are just decorations that you can flush in toilet. But they have developed senses, and can sense more stimuli than humans (including infrared, ultrasound and magnetism). They communicate with one another (yes, they make various types of sound and actually do have ears inside their head ). I hope I don't need to tell that the 3 second memory is a total myth that has been proven wrong by research many times.

So basically, fish are animals (pets) just like cats and dogs and it troubles me when I see people abusing them.

Sorry I just had to vent a bit :-)
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

You're right! People leverage on the fact that they are very resistent and think they don't feel or don't need much. I was also told in a pet shop that betas need a round bowl because they like to swim in circles. This is one of the biggest mistakes ever. No fish should live in a round bowl,studies showed that there are changes in their never system because of the way the light falls in such a bowl and they "go crazy";in the way that they jump out of the bowl and die.
Another misinformation is that their water has to be at 10 degrees. Yeah,sure,if you ask me,better leave the water at 0 degrees so you can keep him for 50 years.

Lol,3 second memory? I never heard that. How can somebody believe such things?....actually I heard so many stupid things that I'm not surprised anymore
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Yes, many people believe in 3 second memory because some 50 years ago there was a study that claimed it. Or someone misunderstood what it said and a widespread myth was born.

I on the other hand haven't heard about 10C water myth.

Have you got fish or other pets, BW?
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

A cat,a dog and 10 neon fish.
I had 5 beta a few years ago too.
Do you have any pets,other than the beta?
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Lol, we have the same pets, then :-)
I have a dog, a cat and neons in other aquarium, too :-D

We can make a thread for posting pictures of our pets! You can start it or I will when I come home.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

There is one already: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 4-120.html

I'll search for some nice pics :wink:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Umm ...the fountain is over 500 gallons, filtered. Feeder goldfish...I saved their lives halfsm
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Wow, you have a fountain at home? That's cool! Your place must be really nice.
That's wonderful, FF, I believe the goldies have a great life with you :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Haha ha...It's not luxurious, believe me, lol...it's a pond with a fountain pump in it, we had to cover it with welded wire mesh to keep the raccons out, they came by and ate some awhile back. So now the rest are safe yet the cage top makes it un- beautious.
They really are pets, was so mad at those raccons.
I had a goldfish in a tank indoors once, he was always so happy when you went to visit him, he would even let you pet his little head.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Animals and Pets”