I need help in identifying if this means anything

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
gentlelamb

I need help in identifying if this means anything

Post by gentlelamb »

So I've recently come to terms with the fact that I have a much better relationship with Hecate than I thought lol (I've been working on realizing my self worth and other self esteem stuff) anyway, I learned that we have a pretty good connection. And I've been doing research on her and I figured out that the night of Hecate is sundown on November 16. November 16 is my birthday. Does this mean anything?
corvidus

Re: I need help in identifying if this means anything

Post by corvidus »

Everything means something ;)

The only way you'll know for certain is through experience. Have you tried anything for Hecate yet?
gentlelamb

Post by gentlelamb »

How do you mean?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Coincidences or sychronicity are sometimes affirmations of being linked to our psychic stream, or go further and say in rhythm with our truth. Your birthdate is pretty personally meaningful. The energies of your birth date are in sinc with Hekete's date. little "wows" are nice from time to time. :D

It would be a good thing to write out your own meaning for the coincidence, and review next year to see what may have changed, what you can add. Also make note of the history of why Hekete's day is 11/16. See if it adds anything to your meaning.

Logically nothing is a sign of anything, and intuitively everything is a sign because everything is connected. The trick is to find a level headed balance.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just to make sure I wasn't saying anything too stupid, I looked up Goddess Hekate Feast dates and see the 16th is the date that " she walks the earth with her hounds." I have no idea what that means because I know very little of her, but i also saw that her initiations are on this date. You will probably keep that in mind if you decide to dedicate. Just remember, you can't take back a pledge to deities. So, put a limit on any dedication of a year and a day. She'll respect that, and you, for it I'd think.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

gentlelamb wrote:How do you mean?
Have you offered her anything at a crossroads, or tried to visit her in your dreams? Or anything else which is popular in Wicca to connect with Hecate?
gentlelamb

Post by gentlelamb »

Yeah I leave her offerings and I write to her everyday in my journal as a way of praying to her. I tell her about my day and personal stuff and I always feel better after venting to her. I'm not sure how to visit her in my dreams since my dreams are really scary.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Hecate can be "scary" at times. Maybe she's speaking to you already?

Depends on the type of dreams.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

corvidus wrote:Hecate can be "scary" at times. Maybe she's speaking to you already?

Depends on the type of dreams.
Which face of Hecate do you refer? In my experience only the crone ever beat sense into me in any scary way..
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Well she's the goddess of witchcraft, death and necromancy from what I understand. Some people might find those things scary.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

Oh. Ok I see where you are coming from now.Sorry, I have never personally found any of those scary, but yeah, I can see why some people might. I was thinking you were talking about her three faces. Each have a unique personality.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Nope, I'm talking about her mythology. I've never worked with her before.
Siona

Post by Siona »

So I'd just like to clarify something - whenever you see a a festival date for Hekate (or any other Ancient Greek holiday) listed flat out as something you'd recognize on our modern calendar, it's wrong. In other words, there is no festival for Hekate on the 16th of November, because the Greeks did not have a November, or anything that easily corresponds to our November. It may have been a Roman festival, and they used a different calendar than the Greeks (closer to ours, but still not exactly the same), but I don't see any references to it in a quick pass through my notes, more likely this is a new idea that's started going around somehow... There is, unfortunately, a lot of that sort of misinformation out there. (Likewise, anything that states Hekate is a maiden-mother-crone triple goddess is working from a modern idea, not how the Ancient Greeks saw her. One may find value in the modern view, but it's good to know it's actual origins.)

The thing about the Greek calendar is that it was based on lunar months, which were fixed around the summer solstice. So what we think of as the 16th of November each year is actually a different date on the Greek calendar every year. The only festival of Hekate falling around a 16th that I am aware of is Kourotrophos, which falls on the 15th/16th (the Greeks had days which ran sundown to sundown) of the month of Metageitnion. This is the second month of the Attic (Athenian) calendar, and this year the date falls on our August 18th. (And last year it would have been on August 30th, because the lunar months shift each year.) It was a minor holiday, and Hekate would have been honored with Artemis on this date, as goddesses of childbirth/protectors and nurses of children.

The more well known day of Hekate is actually one of the major monthly festivals, her Deipnon, or supper, held on the last day or every Attic lunar month. The lunar month started with the new crescent moon, so often the Deipnon falls on what we now think of as the new moon, that is, when the moon is zero percent illuminated. Homes would have been purified, and offerings left to Hekate and the wandering dead at the triple crossroads - traditionally things like eggs, bread, garlic, onions, leeks, fish, or cheese - in hopes that Hekate would continue to bless the home during the coming month.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wow, Siona this makes a big difference. Gentle lamb, please scrub what I wrote about energy compatibility from the discussion table. I am wrong in the context of actual dates. I don't want to mislead you.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

I disagree with this statement right here by Siona. The event on the calander may noit be the same as in the ancient past, but it could be a deliberate clue regardless, and is also when alot of ppl will be trying to connect with the triple goddess. Not to mention celestially, orbit of earth and the moon shift. Just look at the new zodiacs. Not even the universe stays the same.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”