Something to represent my spirit animal??

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Autumn Jewel

Something to represent my spirit animal??

Post by Autumn Jewel »

On my altar, I have a little something to represent each of my spirit animals. But I'm having a little trouble with one of them. Doe. How would you go about representing Doe other than the obvious figurine. It's not like a stag where you can just place an antler and VOILA! Does anybody have any suggestions?
"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music."

Someone told me to stop living in a fantasy land.
I nearly fell off my unicorn.
Vendredi

Re: Something to represent my spirit animal??

Post by Vendredi »

What does Doe mean to you?
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

Doe helps me to stay in tuned with my surroundings, to trust my instincts, and to enhance my creativity. Both She and Stag have been with me since I started this journey a couple years ago.

Right when I was starting to learn about witchcraft and Wicca, I had an experience with both of them. I was driving home from work, when just about 5 minutes from my house, I caught up to the car in front of me that was stopped in the middle of the road. I stopped too thinking the car broke down. After a second or two, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. Right next to my car was a stag casually walking by in the road. He stopped right next to my window and stared at me for what seemed longer than a second or two. Then he turned to look forward, and so did I. That's when I saw there was a doe standing right in front of my car. She too was staring at me. Then I saw movement off to my right, and there, was another doe. I then realized why the car in front of me had stopped. There was ANOTHER doe in front of him. I caught a quick glance in my rear view mirror and noticed another stag walking behind me. I was surrounded!! The only deer I've seen in years up to that point were roadkill. Four sides, four deer, two stags, and two does. What seemed like minutes but was only about ten seconds, if that, and then they all ran off to the small, and one of the few patches of woods left in my area. It was then I realized they were there to guide me on my spiritual journey.

Grimalkin

Post by Grimalkin »

Autumn Jewel wrote:Doe helps me to stay in tuned with my surroundings, to trust my instincts, and to enhance my creativity. Both She and Stag have been with me since I started this journey a couple years ago.

Right when I was starting to learn about witchcraft and Wicca, I had an experience with both of them. I was driving home from work, when just about 5 minutes from my house, I caught up to the car in front of me that was stopped in the middle of the road. I stopped too thinking the car broke down. After a second or two, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. Right next to my car was a stag casually walking by in the road. He stopped right next to my window and stared at me for what seemed longer than a second or two. Then he turned to look forward, and so did I. That's when I saw there was a doe standing right in front of my car. She too was staring at me. Then I saw movement off to my right, and there, was another doe. I then realized why the car in front of me had stopped. There was ANOTHER doe in front of him. I caught a quick glance in my rear view mirror and noticed another stag walking behind me. I was surrounded!! The only deer I've seen in years up to that point were roadkill. Four sides, four deer, two stags, and two does. What seemed like minutes but was only about ten seconds, if that, and then they all ran off to the small, and one of the few patches of woods left in my area. It was then I realized they were there to guide me on my spiritual journey.
That's amazing! It's so magical to see them in the wild, you're very lucky. I've only ever seen a couple of does in the wild - and certainly not close up like that. I've only seen stags in captivity...

As for something to represent the doe, I have no idea. Sorry! Sure someone will think of something though.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Perhaps you could draw or represent a doe with a hoof print? One of the messages of doe here is to tread lightly on the earth. Additionally, there are many small vintage statues of deer and not all have antlers. It depends on what your altar aesthetic is. As another idea you could create a small representation of a doe made of twigs or other found items.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Autumn Jewel wrote:Doe helps me to stay in tuned with my surroundings, to trust my instincts, and to enhance my creativity. Both She and Stag have been with me since I started this journey a couple years ago.

In tune with surroundings and following instincts is exactly what I think about when I think if Does. I also think of motherhood. I think about how a doe will hide her baby in the thicket and then lead predators away from it, putting herself in potential harms way, if it means the baby is safe. N matter how far away she must go, she will remember where she left the baby and return if she's able.

Maybe some hay, or thistles, or even just tall grass might work for something to have on your alter.....? Maybe you could bundle it and tie it off with ribbon or string...? Just an idea..

Rosie
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

There are many deer in my area. Hundreds. I often see herds of them. I even saw a doe giving birth. I've seen several newborn fawns, as in hours old. So I will share a bit about them. A doe's track is smaller than the buck's. Bucks are heavier and in soft soil will often have hock prints just to the rear of the hoof print. You could represent them with hoof prints. Deer are browsers. They eat buds from twigs. In winter they eat bark off the trees, stripping them bare to get to the inner part. They also eat seed heads of grasses (and grains from farm fields). You could represent them with foods they love. Deer gather into larger herds on winter, but disperse in early spring as the does go off to give birth alone. The does hide their fawns, often in underbrush. You could symbolize where she gives birth with a bonsai, trained with low, drooping, sheltering branches. The fawns lay still while the doe forages for food. She returns to nurse. Deer are most active in the twilight hours, moving out to forage. During the bright hours of the day they will bed down, often in a little clearing in the woods to chew their cuds. So, you might pick something that symbolizes twilight to you. Just some thoughts.
Myrth
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

Good suggestions, but I need something a little less conspicuous. I am in the broom closet and although my altar is in the open, it's more of a display table to accent my crystal ball and other crystals collection. I need something that won't raise a red flag as to what it truly is. Grass might be a bit strange.

And since I don't have children, nor am I in a relationship of any kind, I'm trying to avoid the motherhood aspect of it.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being difficult.

Vendredi

Post by Vendredi »

So, a compass immediately came to my mind. Something kind of like this one?
http://shop.getty.edu/products/18th-cen ... al-compass
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Nice! ^^
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

Vendredi wrote:So, a compass immediately came to my mind. Something kind of like this one?
I really liked the compass idea, and it got me thinking back to that day. I started thinking about the directions the deer were in, so I went back to that spot, pulled over, brought out my compass app on my phone, and my suspicions were confirmed. The spots the deer were in corresponded perfectly with the gender aspect of the cardinal directions. Females to the north and west, and males to the south and east.

I don't know about just representing doe, but I definitely need a compass on my altar.

Grimalkin

Post by Grimalkin »

Autumn Jewel wrote:
Vendredi wrote:So, a compass immediately came to my mind. Something kind of like this one?
I really liked the compass idea, and it got me thinking back to that day. I started thinking about the directions the deer were in, so I went back to that spot, pulled over, brought out my compass app on my phone, and my suspicions were confirmed. The spots the deer were in corresponded perfectly with the gender aspect of the cardinal directions. Females to the north and west, and males to the south and east.

I don't know about just representing doe, but I definitely need a compass on my altar.
That's really cool! And I love the idea of a compass on your altar. That fits so well
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

Ok, so last night I had a dream, and in this dream, I saw an arrow with a clear quartz arrowhead. But something didn't seem right about it. It was very thick, still had some bark on the stick, and as you got toward the back end, while there were feathers there, they weren't where they should have been. They were hanging off the back by what looked like leather cord. And at the very butt end of the stick, was a small, clear quartz sphere. That's when it clicked! This wasn't an arrow at all. It was a wand. A wand very similar to the one I've been imagining about for some time now. Only I never imagined feathers, and in place of the arrowhead, I wanted an amethyst point. So it got me thinking. Why the arrowhead? So I looked up the meaning of an arrowhead, and it gave me one word. ALERTNESS. < If that's not what I'm looking for, then I don't know what is.

Probably not so coincidently, I have a clear quartz arrowhead pendant that I made and wear quite frequently. And if I'm not wearing it, it's in my pocket or my purse. I've been using it to represent Artemis. Since I can't carry around a bow and arrows, I figured an arrowhead would do the trick, not realizing that an arrowhead had a meaning all its own. Guess I'll have to find something else to represent Artemis ;)

But I'm not about to use my pendant for my altar. Good thing I have more quartz arrowheads! I ordered them online, and only wanted one to make the pendant. But not being able to pick it myself and having a big chance of being disappointed when it came, I ordered 5 because they were so cheap. Then I was able to pick out the one I liked best and felt had the most energy.

Seeing how I haven't found the right stick for a wand yet, I need something else in the meantime, and I've got just the thing! Just above my altar, there is a black space on the wall where I'm planning on putting I dream catcher. While waiting for the rings to come in the mail (should be here today hopefully) I've been trying to think of what to add to it. Crystals obviously, but which ones? A clear quartz arrowhead sounds like the perfect addition, don't you think? :D

Return to “Animals and Pets”