Finding a coven

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
dualhands

Finding a coven

Post by dualhands »

Greetings!!!

I am currently looking for a coven to join; as being of solitary practice can only get me so far. I am not saying there is anything wrong with solitary practice, in fact I enjoy it. However as with all things, I believe there is much to be learned by the hands of others. With that being said I have a few questions for any/all of you...

Do you belong to a coven?
Had you been accepted right away?
Was there some sort of inductee ceremony?
Is there anything I should expect when joining a coven such as questions regarding my faith and practice or knowledge of the craft?
Do covens often reject people?
How did you come across your coven?

I am from the state of Massachusetts. If anyone here is the same and know of a coven in the area, it would be greatly appreciated to point me in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!! :D
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Finding a coven

Post by AdastraJunction »

You should really try looking on Witchvox.com for gatherings in or near your area if you are interested in joining a coven. It is a good way to link up with other pagans in your general area.
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

Why it certainly is! I found a group fairly easily. Thank you very much so for the suggestion! :D
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Do you belong to a coven?
Had you been accepted right away?
Was there some sort of inductee ceremony?
Is there anything I should expect when joining a coven such as questions regarding my faith and practice or knowledge of the craft?
Do covens often reject people?
How did you come across your coven?
Hey, New Hampshire denizen here! Nice to meet a fellow New Englander. Can only speak from my own experience, but here goes:

1. Do you belong to a coven?

Yes ... ish. I have been part of a Pagan circle for over a year now, which has been getting increasingly serious, and we are probably going to formalize our circle into a coven sometime soon.

2. Had you been accepted right away?

At the time, since it was only a circle / study group, I was accepted right away, although it still took a little while before I was really comfortable enough to be myself around them (because I'm shy, not because they're scary). Now that we're thinking of becoming a coven, we might have a little more of a "trial period" before we let newbies into our inner circle. That's mostly because all of us have known each other for at least a year, and we have a very solid bond. We'd want at least a bit of a chance to develop a similar bond with a newbie, and we're really just looking for people who are nice, interested in the Craft, committed, and not total creeps.

3. Was there some sort of inductee ceremony?

Not for me, but when we become a coven, we might develop one.

4. Is there anything I should expect when joining a coven such as questions regarding my faith and practice or knowledge of the craft?

My coven is eclectic and very open. They did ask me about my faith and practice, but mostly out of curiosity and to get to know me, not as a test. We certainly do not have any set criteria like "You must be a polytheist" or "You must believe in the Threefold Law or else we'll kick you out". Although if I suppose if I told them I was into blood sacrifice or cursing people (which I don't -- this is all hypothetical!), then my fellow circle mates would probably have questioned my personality as a good fit for the group. Again, other covens might be different, though.

5. Do covens often reject people?

Well, at least in my experience, my coven has never explicitly rejected someone. I think if someone showed up who was not a good fit for the group, they'd probably figure that out on their own and lose interest. To some extent, most of the people in my group believe that we will get the members that were meant to come to us.

6. How did you come across your coven?

Witchvox!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “F.A.Q.”