Homemade probiotics: Kombucha, Tibetan Shroom, Algae Crystal

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Shub Niggurath

Homemade probiotics: Kombucha, Tibetan Shroom, Algae Crystal

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Here's what I cultivate in my kitchen to stay healthy: Kombucha, Tibetan Mushroom and Algae Crystals. Each one of them produces a different kind of fermented drink with lots of health benefits. It might sound gross at first but it's totally worth it. And once you start your production it grows over time, so you can sell it or share with your friends and family.

1. Kombucha is a tea scoby which means that it grows in a sweetened tea - as it feeds off of the sugar in the tea it also ferments it producing a fermented soda-like drink that's been called an “Immortal Health Elixir” for around 2000 years now.
Benefits:
  • - anti-oxidant rich (anti-oxidants slow down aging processes)
    - boosts immune system and energy levels
    - improves digestion
    - detoxifies your body
    - aides cancer prevention (or at least that's what is believed)
    - reduces the symptoms of fibromyalgia, depression, anxiety
    - is a perfect refreshing drink, especially during the Summer

How to make your own Kombucha: Click
(Image source: http://www.greenteatoday.com)

2. Tibetan Mushroom is a milk mushroom, which means that it feeds off of the natural sugars in milk, turning it into a natural yogurt/kefir within 24 hours - perfect for those who like eating yogurt for breakfast. It's good for lactose-intolerant people as it breaks down all the lactose during fermentation.
Benefits:
  • - natural remedy against any allergy
    - natural antibiotic
    - clears the organism from slag, salts, heavy metals, kidney stones, pathogene microorganisms
    - lowers "bad" cholesterol
    - cures Candida
    - enhances immune system
    - normalises metabolism

How to make your own kefir: Click
(Image source: dijanablog.files.wordpress.com)

3. Algae Crystals are a culture living in water, they feed off of sugar and raisins producing a fermented water-based drink over 24 hours.
Benefits:
  • - regulates your organism
    - normalises metabolism
    - enhances immune system
    - helps with skin problems

How to make your own "water kefir": Click

Anyone of you is using any of those magical cultures? I do and I love them :)
Pinkpower_80

Re: Homemade probiotics: Kombucha, Tibetan Shroom, Algae Cry

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I really wanna make some kombucha! Do you have a scoby you could sell or send me, or have a link to a good resource I could buy one from? My family would benefit HUGELY from the tea and I think they would enjoy helping me make it. Thanks for this post! I'm off to check the other links now, I just got so excited about the Kombucha lol.
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Kombucha is my personal fave as well. It's much easier to maintain and tastes better than the other two ;) You can also flavor it with dried fruits or herbs when it's ready. My favourite composition is Kombucha + dried cranberry - it tastes like Mountain Dew after 3 weeks in the fridge!
I'm currently trying to regrow my Kombucha culture anew (it was vegetating in the fridge for a while) so I don't have any scobies I could share atm, besides I'm from central Europe so I don't think it would survive the shipping anyway :<

But if you want to grow your own Kombucha you can ask in local vegan/vegetarian groups (on facebook for example) - they are usually huge fans of such things (like me :)) and will probably share for free. Or you can buy this Kombucha in a grocery store and try to grow a scoby from it - I heard this one is widely available in the US and heard people succesfully grow their own scobys from it (the "Original" one would be best).

If you need any tips or anything let me know, I'd be glad to help :)

Click: Video
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Yikes, I forgot you lived so far away! I will definitely look into some groups and ask around. I can't wait to try this! I watched her video on how to flavor it. I might try peaches in mine. Thanks for the link!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Oh, Levitating Cat, thank you so much for reminding me of that. I used to have Kefir sponge (I gave it to a friend who needed it more than I did at the time). Need to get a kombucha soon. Great post, thank you again!
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

My grandmother loves to make kombucha. She makes a lot of it raspberry and strawberry flavored. I like it, but I just wish it didn't have the slightly vinegary aftertaste.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I bet some people are looking at the OP and going, "what the...are those?!" hahaha

Great post. This is good stuff. Trying to get into the wheat grass thing right now, myself --inexpensive, easy to grow in the fridge, and packed with nutrients.

I already douse my food/smoothies/juices, etc. with either chia seeds, nutritional yeast, or spirulina (depending on which food/drink it is :wink: ).

I usually buy kombucha tea bags by Yogi Tea, but now you've inspired me to try cultivating it myself.

Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Falcon_Heart27 wrote:My grandmother loves to make kombucha. She makes a lot of it raspberry and strawberry flavored. I like it, but I just wish it didn't have the slightly vinegary aftertaste.
To avoid the vinegary taste you need to grow your kombucha for a shorter period of time - 8-9 days max (for a 1l jar) and then let it infuse with the flavor of the fruits a bit longer. I kept my kombucha with dried cranberries as a flavoring in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and it tasted like Mountain Dew, seriously :>
Another way is to mix kombucha with juices or smoothies - you're not supposed to drink too much of it at once anyway so might as well add it 50-50 to your favourite juice :)
Kassandra wrote:I bet some people are looking at the OP and going, "what the...are those?!" hahaha
Hahahaha, you're right! All these things look a bit alien, not gonna lie :D
Kassandra wrote:Great post. This is good stuff. Trying to get into the wheat grass thing right now, myself --inexpensive, easy to grow in the fridge, and packed with nutrients.

I already douse my food/smoothies/juices, etc. with either chia seeds, nutritional yeast, or spirulina (depending on which food/drink it is :wink: ).
I've never heard about "the wheat grass thing" before - could you elaborate or link what it's about? You made me curious!
And I love chia seeds too! They're amazingly nutritious, especially for vege people or those who don't like eating fish (omega fatty acids). I love adding it to my porridge, smoothies and salads :)
I usually buy kombucha tea bags by Yogi Tea, but now you've inspired me to try cultivating it myself.
Oh, I'm curious how it works in a tea bag. They put dehydrated kombucha pieces in there? Definitely going to do a bit of research about that. Still, there's nothing like a fresh, fizzy kombucha! It's easy to maintain and probably cheaper than the tea bags ;)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Levitating Cat wrote:I've never heard about "the wheat grass thing" before - could you elaborate or link what it's about? You made me curious!
Well, wheat grass is another excellent source of nutrition...beta-carotene, calcium, chlorophyll, fiber, iron, and all that. Some people buy a wheat grass "press" so they could extract the juice from the grass itself, which they grow in the fridge. Other folks like to purchase it in powder form. Yanakhan posted about her personal endeavors with growing it here: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p184841.

Levitating Cat wrote:Oh, I'm curious how it works in a tea bag. They put dehydrated kombucha pieces in there?
You know, that's a good question. I'm pretty sure there's just green tea leaves in the tea bags...do they soak the tea leaves in kombucha, then dry and package the tea? Don't know. Hmm, it never really occurred to me how that works, I just like how the tea tastes. Hmm, I read some descriptions just now and at most I saw "with kombucha," without any elaboration. Didn't really say.

Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Levitating Cat wrote:
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:My grandmother loves to make kombucha. She makes a lot of it raspberry and strawberry flavored. I like it, but I just wish it didn't have the slightly vinegary aftertaste.
To avoid the vinegary taste you need to grow your kombucha for a shorter period of time - 8-9 days max (for a 1l jar) and then let it infuse with the flavor of the fruits a bit longer. I kept my kombucha with dried cranberries as a flavoring in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and it tasted like Mountain Dew, seriously :>
Another way is to mix kombucha with juices or smoothies - you're not supposed to drink too much of it at once anyway so might as well add it 50-50 to your favourite juice :)
Oh, thank you for the great advice!!! I definitely will try this in the future. :D
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I'm brewing my own kombucha for a month now and from experience, adding some ginger root to it, makes it taste fantastic (not to mention the health benefits). I agree about the shorter fermentation - it tastes sweeter. I kinda find it hard to not drink too much, it's that good :D

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”