Lemon Extract Powder

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lemon Extract Powder

Post by Xiao Rong »

I used to have lots of leftover lemon peels that I didn't know what to do with. Throwing them out always seemed like a waste, so I did some research about things you can do with lemon peels. You can deodorize trash cans with them, clean the kitchen with them, make candied lemon peels, etc. But my favorite thing to do with them is to make lemon extract powder - it's super easy, and requires minimal work ...

Every time you use a lemon, commit to zesting it first. You can use a microplane grater, but I prefer to just use a vegetable peeler - it takes about 30 seconds! Make sure that all you're getting is the zest (the grainy outside of the lemon), and not the pith (the white fibrous part of the lemon peel, which tastes bitter). Save your zest in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

Once you've got a sizeable quantity, you can either leave it to dry for a few days on a cookie sheet, or you can speed up the process by baking it on the lowest setting in the oven for a few hours. Once you've dehydrated the lemon zest, you can grind it up using a mortar and pestle (or a food processor, I suppose). Now you've got lemon extract powder!

You can use it to add a pop of flavor to soups, chicken, noodle dishes - whatever you want! You can also mix it with freshly cracked black pepper to make lemon pepper (did you know lemon pepper was so easy?! I didn't!) Or you can mix it with white granulated sugar to make lemon sugar (it infuses the sugar with lemony flavor, for a twist on your tea).

I also think it would make a really cool magical offering or spell ingredient, since lemons are associated with purification, clarity, love, friendship, and healing.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lemon Extract Powder

Post by Firebird »

I really like this...I use lemon for a lot of stuff...Thanks Xiao
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
InfiniteDawn

Post by InfiniteDawn »

Never thought of this. Love it, thanks!! xx
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Thanks for posting this! Surprisingly, even though I love lemon pepper seasoning, I have never thought to make it myself.

This powder would probably work with some baking recipes that require a set amount of liquid that wouldn't work well with putting lemon juice in it.

Such a neat and practical way to reuse peels. Mmmmm, would be good to make some orange powder and mix it into butter on breakfast muffins.

'
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

This powder would probably work with some baking recipes that require a set amount of liquid that wouldn't work well with putting lemon juice in it.
That's a good point - I'm not much of a baker (too precise for me), but I'll try that in my moon cakes later this week : )

I just got these cute little mason jars, so I'm really excited to bake my lemon zest soon and fill one of the jars ... is that weird?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

hehehe
Xiao Rong wrote: I'm really excited to bake my lemon zest soon and fill one of the jars ... is that weird?
, :evilwitch:
Not weird ...sounds like a witchy thing to do...I'm always excited to fill jars with the harvest!
I will be filling the jar with bay leaves because our vacation watering person somehow missed the tree... :|
So a couple days of 100 degree heat and >>poof<< instant dry leaves! :cry: :cry: It may come back ..I hope I hope.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thank you for the fantastic idea. I will for sure be doing this from now on!
Opalene

Post by Opalene »

Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't have thought of this. I'm quite interested in the magickal associations with this.
Epithymia

Post by Epithymia »

This sounds wonderful!!! I can just imagine using this in ice tea and some lemon poppy seed muffins. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”