House of Night series :/

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Strawberry

House of Night series :/

Post by Strawberry »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so now it's here. I hope it hasn't been posted already, I did search for it but didn't find anything.

I was wondering, anyone who has read the series, what do you think about the inclusion of Wicca?

I read half of the first book (Marked) and I didn't really know how to take it. When you think about it, Wicca gets enough bad press as it is, but now there are vampires practising it in a novel? And I'm terrified that it's creating this new wave of teens who are just in wicca because of HoN, and just for the spells. I also noticed that there are spells listed on the series' website, and they are selling jewellery items with goddess symbols.
There's also a very obvious anti-Christian theme, which makes the main character's stepdad and his associates seem like those people from Westboro Baptist Church.

All that said, I have an incredible urge to read them properly :shock:

Perhaps I'm overreacting, I tend to do that now and then :oops:
So what do y'all think? Is the inclusion of Wicca a bad thing, a good thing, or neither? Or do I just need to relax some more :P

Blessings,
Strawberry
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I don't think that its too bad, after all, the Goddess that they worship is a real goddess, not some made up mumbo jumbo. I read all but hunted, and I must say that the inclusion of Wicca isn't negative. They show wicca how we practice it. Peaceful. I also like that they include her parents because it shows the hardships that some teenagers have to go through, and it shows parents (if parents read it) that the rituals and spells that they practice aren't evil.

They do over-exaggerate with a few things, but thats expected with any book that is for teenagers.

Return to “Book Reviews”