Sabbats and Esbats?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Balor's Eye

Sabbats and Esbats?

Post by Balor's Eye »

Im new to this and im confused about the difference between a Sabbat and an Esbat, whats the difference?

I would also like to ask: Is there a waxing or Waning moon everyday?
Because some spells work better on different moon cycles and i was just wondering if the waxing and waning moon was like a full moon-that only comes once a month.

Whats a waning/waxing/full moon used for? What can you do on these specific moon cycles?
_Balor.
Add this myspace for everyone interested in Witchcraft!
Its new and made by me! An amateur :]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/magickalgarden[/url]

Better to light a candle than
curse the darkness.
[Silver Dove]

Post by [Silver Dove] »

Waxing moon is the time period from new moon to full moon. This is the time when the moon is growing bigger.....this is the moon phase where you do spells for drawing things to you.

Wanning moon is the time period from after full moon to dark moon (this happens 3 days before New Moon) when the moon becomes smaller.....this is the moon phase where you do spells to banish things.

Esbats are the celebration of the 13 full moons that occur every year. The Esbats are lunar and represent the Goddess at her height of power. Therefore full moon is considered the mot potent/powerful time of the month.

There are 8 Sabbats that make up the Wheel of the Year. The Sabbats are solar, seasonal and represent the cycle of birth, life, death and rebirth of the God. The Sabbats are Samhain(Oct 31st), Yule (Dec 21), Imbolc (Feb 2nd), Ostara (March 21st or around that time), Beltain (May 1st), Litha (June 21st), Lughnasadh (August 1st), and Mabon ( Sep 21st)

Hope this helps. :)
May love, peace & hope always be with you. Blessed Be!

Silver Dove
Balor's Eye

Post by Balor's Eye »

Ohhhhhhh now i get it haha :lol: Thanks!
_Balor.
Add this myspace for everyone interested in Witchcraft!
Its new and made by me! An amateur :]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/magickalgarden[/url]

Better to light a candle than
curse the darkness.
[Silver Dove]

Post by [Silver Dove] »

no problem, anytime.....I am glad I could be of help.
May love, peace & hope always be with you. Blessed Be!

Silver Dove
nick11189

Post by nick11189 »

What exactly are you supposed to do on these holidays?
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

nick11189 wrote:What exactly are you supposed to do on these holidays?
It can vary, depending on a person's path or tradition.

In our case, we usually have some sort of pot-luck either the day before or the day of a sabbat. Then in the evening we perform a ritual.

The ritual involves casting the circle, followed by the main portion of the ceremony... which is usually acting out some relevant aspect of the particular sabbat. (By "relevant" I mean that depending on the time of the year and what the particular sabbat symbolizes.) The sabbats represent points on "the Wheel of the Year" and taken together they symbolize the cycle in which all things take part... we live, we die, we're reborn. Even the universe itself will supposedly stop expanding one day, begin to contract, and eventually get squished together enough for another big bang and the start of a new universe.

But I digress. :)

The main portion of the rite usually involves invoking deities and making a personal offering to them. We wrap up with the rite of Cakes and Ale (which is useful for grounding) and then close the circle.

It's one of those things were ya kind of have to be there... just writing about it doesn't do it justice. It's said that the circle is a place that is no place, in a time that is no time... and it's true that while we're in it, we seem to have no sense of time or how long we've been there... and it definitely feels like we're someplace special. Even when we're tired before-hand and maybe not so much in the mood, when we come out of it we feel spiritually refreshed.

There are a number of books on the market that contain sabbat rituals, and many are designed to be used solo. I've got a lot of work going on this week, but when I get a chance I can dig around my shelves and recommend a few if anyone is interested.
nick11189

Post by nick11189 »

Thanks man, i really had no idea it was that deep. I just wonder how my family will react to some of the rituals of the Sabbat; their're all Christian, and im just a little woried.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”