Kitchen Witchery

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
hedge*

Kitchen Witchery

Post by hedge* »

First post for this brand spanking new forum
:D
I found this article and thought I would share it with you. It describes Kitchen Witchery far better than I ever could.

Kitchen Witchery:
The term "Kitchen Witch" brings up many different images to people, but the most common idea is that of a Witch who practices her art mainly through cooking and common household skills. Another image is that of one who uses common everyday items in her art, drawing up memories of the Burning Times, when it was necessary to hide your working tools from those who would persecute you for their possession.

While both of these images are certainly true ones, Kitchen Witchery goes far beyond magical cooking or using ordinary items as magical tools. One Kitchen Witch, Mama Rose, defines Kitchen Witchery in the following way:

"My spirituality and my priestesshood and my magick are based around the concept that my home is my temple, all in it are consecrated and holy, and each action that I do is a portion of the ritual of my life."

Kitchen Witchery is a talent for finding the sacred and magical in everyday tasks, a philosophy which "practices the presence of the Goddess" in daily devotion through ordinary actions. The Kitchen Witch makes the ordinary, extraordinary, the mundane magickal and by doing so, acknowledges the presence of the Divine in all things.

Read more here: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/t ... 7/id68.htm
Last edited by Seraphin on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reduced copied words and enclosed them in quotation marks.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

This should be a stickie in this forum, In My Not So Humble Opinion.
stormer89

Post by stormer89 »

since ive started teaching myself to bake/cook i've been thinking about kitchen magic a lot latley. i've been trying to google info but there doesnt seem to be that much on the web. do you have any good books and websites to recomend? and any extra info you have would be great! thanks in advance.
peace and love and blessed be
~ * ~ stormer ~ * ~
NoNameUser

Post by NoNameUser »

Well I am new to paganism but I have been reading about it like crazy and I learned that there are some basic witchy ingredients you probably have on hand in your kitchen right now and can use in spells:

Cinnamon -dreams
Salt- cleansing, purifying, african voodoo
Rosemary
Thyme
Cloves
Vinegar
Limes
Milk
Wine
Oranges
Apples
Chicken bones (african voodoo)
Cornmeal (african voodoo)

and cooking your own urine on the stove, believe it or not I read tht on one website ( it was mixed with salt and cornmeal to uncross a curse from a witch, african voodoo again...
MissWitchy

Re: Kitchen Witchery

Post by MissWitchy »

I am so glad I found this article! I have been thinking about the type of witchcraft I wanted to practice, but I really wasn't sure! So, I just classified myself as an eclectic pagan. But now that I've read this article, I find it suits me perfectly! Thank you so much for posting this! <3
EmberMau

Post by EmberMau »

I LOVE it! The kitchen is always a great place for spells and tonics and food that warms the belly and the soul. I am also glad to find this new forum. :woot:
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Most herbs for spells can be substituted with just Rosemary which should be in every witches kitchen.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
EmberMau

Post by EmberMau »

I like the idea of a Sacred Feast. That brings to mind that incorporating color themes as an element of magic into the mix ;)
A pot of stew with leeks, peas, green onions and red potatoes. A greenie soup with some green tea and a sprig of mint and chocolate. Or just green M&M's for dessert ;)
I think color in food is important to consider but that's just my theory. I made a dinner similar to this the other day, color themed but in adjoining the idea of a Sacred Feast as a weekly ritual, I think there are many more things I would add! Coloring food or using its natural color with complimenting colors creates many affects and can be tweeked if need be to give it the presentation you need it to. This is applied to a lot of seasonal feasts and has been for centuries. Sometimes adding things that aren't necessarily food but as a garnish creates that other compliment to fit the intention of the magic.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I've done this a few times...
Not knowing it was actually a version of witchcraft... :fairy:
Just a little here and there...
"may all who partake in this food, let it bring them joy"
and stuff like that, ya know simple.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.