Scott Cunningham's Guide for the Solitary Practioner

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Wolf Heart

Scott Cunningham's Guide for the Solitary Practioner

Post by Wolf Heart »

I've just had a friend pick this book up for me. I've got the second one, but not the first. I was wondering if any of you have read this and how much information is provided and how well it is provided. I am sure it is better than most "start-out" Wicca books. The first one I ever read was a Silver Ravenwolf one, :lol:
I'm doing some extra research and trying to get my hands on any books on witchcraft, so I just wanted your opinions on this specific one.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Scott Cunningham is great. I have the "three in one" book which has Wicca, Living Wicca, and The Complete Book of Incense Oils and Brews. I do not have the Solitary Practicioner, because when I looked at it in the store, it had the same information as what I already have contained in these books. Some of the info is a little redundant, but Scott Cunningham is great and you will get alot out of it.
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Blazewind

Post by Blazewind »

I really like that book, and I like the second book in the group even more. I find he covers everything basic that needs to be known, in a simple, easy to understand manner.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.
Hera#76

Post by Hera#76 »

As a general rule, Scott Cunningham's books are a good starting point for anyone new to the path. He has received many good reviews for his material. Always manages to make things simple and straightforward without being condescending and childish.
Bubbles float because they are light and happy; don't let life wear you down!
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I had thought as much with him. I am a little ways into his book 'Earth Power" and I love it so far. I am not exactly new to the path, I've been studying for about 4 yrs now, but the person which I learned from I found out was far from informed herself, so I am going to retrace my steps and start from the begining to make sure I don't miss a single thing.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
shedtroll

Post by shedtroll »

I love that book.

I still use the book of shadows he included in some rites.
twilight

Post by twilight »

I read this book a few weeks ago (after been lectured by the women at the book store about messing with cults :roll: ) and I found it very informative and was really glad that I bought it. It cleared up a lot of things I was unsure about.
dancinhamster

Post by dancinhamster »

A really lovely book - this was the third book in my collection.

Scott's gentle writing is a great way to understand the craft.
Hascats67

Do you recommend any other reading material

Post by Hascats67 »

I'm looking forward in finding some good books to read about Pagans and Wiccas. I'll be going to Calgary for New Years and want to hit some good book stores since the one week have here suck.
Heka
Banned Member
Location: On top of some magic rock in the middle of the desert yelling at the sky in joy...

Post by Heka »

i find scott cunningham to be extremely helpful. theres alot of things that i dont like but most of his imformation is very helpful. i really wud recomend this book
Blessed Be and Merry Part

Heka

~~~~~~~

Water, my blood...
Earth, my body...
Air, my breath...
Fire, my spirit...
Hascats67

Post by Hascats67 »

Thank you I will put it down on my list of book to buy in Calgary.
shedtroll

Post by shedtroll »

Guide for the solitary practitioner rules!
Blazewind

Re: Do you recommend any other reading material

Post by Blazewind »

Hascats67 wrote:I'm looking forward in finding some good books to read about Pagans and Wiccas. I'll be going to Calgary for New Years and want to hit some good book stores since the one week have here suck.
I know the feeling about books in small towns sucking, lol. I live in Wetaskiwin Alberta, a small town indeed. I buy most of my books and things in Edmonton, since that city is so close anyway. I have seen the odd book for sale here in town, but often I can't find them.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.
Heka
Banned Member
Location: On top of some magic rock in the middle of the desert yelling at the sky in joy...

Post by Heka »

know the feeling about books in small towns sucking, lol. I live in Wetaskiwin Alberta, a small town indeed.
i no the feeling as well. my town has under 300 ppl in it and on book shop. i go to school in a small city but theres no book shop here either. anything i want e get ordered in or wait till i go to adelaide
Blessed Be and Merry Part

Heka

~~~~~~~

Water, my blood...
Earth, my body...
Air, my breath...
Fire, my spirit...
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

I read the book a while ago and loved it. I didn't agree with all of it, seeing as I'm not Wiccan but I like to know stuff so I bought it, read it a couple of times and gave it to a Wiccan to-be.

It is quite useful. I would really recommend it. I find him a lot more useful than Silver Ravenwolf towards which I have a little animosity. His writing style is brilliant.

Return to “For Everyone”