Cat Magick?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Peregrine

Cat Magick?

Post by Peregrine »

I was doing some research on the internet about the use of herbs in magick when I came across a list that included catnip. The use of catnip in spells, according to this list, include love, beauty, courage, luck, and "cat magick." It was the only herb on the whole list that has "cat magick" as a use.

Can someone educate me about cat magick? I have two cats and they are both very lovey with me, especially the older one. The younger one is very outgoing for a cat, but the older one is almost soley "my" cat... the equivalent of the one-master dog. Don't ask why, I do not know, but she just sort of picked me. She used to be my mother's cat but even my mother noticed her behavior with me, so I adopted her when my father retired and they moved to the opposite side of the country.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

google is your friend ::P i'll look it up for you though i've never heard of it

1. http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/article.php?id=1075

2. http://wuzzle.org/cave/catchant.html

3. http://www.earthwitchery.com/catmagick.html

4. http://www.widdershins.org/vol3iss4/m9708.htm

i do not know any of the credibility of these site's but nr.4 and nr.3 seems like interesting reads

hope to have helped you a bit
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

They look interesting sites.I know that cats are sacred to the Norns also, European wildcats especially. Seeresses [volvas] used to wear catfur hoods,there is one passage in the Sturrlson writings that refer to this specifically. My wee cat was more of a familiar than a pet,she's gone now but the younger one is stepping into her shoes,so to speak. She dragged my leaves [which I was keeping for a warding] to the area I was going to place them later,she broke into my sealed [tied up,she chewed the cord] box to get them and she didn't chew them first [she used to chew all plant material,hence me storing stuff in tied boxes,in the first place!] which was unusual -I was astounded but followed her lead,moved my timings forward etc.She was right too. She has since showed a keenness and gentle manner of interplaying with me and my workings.Catnip is a type of mint,as far as I can recall,I will have a look at these sites too - this is fascinating.I bought a Bastet statue the week before my older cat died,I was just motivated to do so,even though I don't follow dieties of Egypt etc. It looks like my wee cat did,she was very slim and small with long pointed ears , we used to joke she was a wee'goddess' in cat form. She was dignified and didn't engage in playfulness much. Anyway,when she died a week later -I put up a shrine and lit candles etc. I knew that was why Bastet had called to me - so she could guide her little friend home. I was given comfort in that. I now appreciate diety in a way I couldn't before,I a m not a believer in Gods,more the 'spirits of the mighty dead' but I was shown something which makes me feel I may have been wrong.Catmagick-I think so.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

When I was in high school I had a cat I named Pepi, after one of the ancient Egyptian kings. She was very special to me, and was more of a familiar than a pet, as well. Though long dead, she still shows up from time to time, which is interesting.

My current cat, however, is just a cat. Leif is a sweet guy, but he's not really that spiritual. He once broke into my temple room and knocked over my altar to Diana, complete with spell, breaking everything associated with that spell, including the statue and 80mm sphere of Selenite. He likes clawing people. It's how he says hello. The spiritual cats I've met are very gentle, almost supernaturally so. Bats, his companion, was my familiar. But my cat sitter let him outside, and he ran away. So.... I need to find another.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share with you what I know about cat magick, though sadly it's not much. Catnip not only is a drug to your cat, but also makes it more receptive to telepathic connection. Try burning it in an incense with some sandalwood or quassia and/or frankincense. I tend to make a circle *outside* the room that you are using, so he doesn't break it. You do this by visualizing yourself tracing the circle, rather than actually tracing it. Visualize yourself passing through the walls as if they were nothing.

Then call your cat by the name you know. As T S Elliot said, cats have three names. The one you give them, the one that the cats know, and one that only God knows. I wish I could remember that quote. I'm getting rusty, alas. A cat who likes you enough might even tell you that secret name.

After that, keep an eye on your cat's behavior. You might be surprised.
applepolice

Post by applepolice »

Ellen Dugan has a great book called The Enchanted Cat. It's got quite a bit of info on cat magick, lore, history, etc. A nice little read.
webbspinner

Post by webbspinner »

My cats seem to have a Vendetta against my Altar. They get into my room that's the first thing they go for. By the time they are done it looks like a Hurricane has gone through! My familiar is a lovely, Black haired feline. She wants to be in the thick of magickal workings, other wise I really have to look to find her furry butt. She hides in bushes, high grass, other places I don't know about. She really exudes calm within the circle though. She is a Primadonna, she won't let any other cats by the circle.
It's bad luck to kill a spider...
sacredherbals

Post by sacredherbals »

Sounds interesting. I might just have to try one of those books that were recommended! I have three cats, one of them is more my cat and the other two just kind of stay to themselves. I love them all dearly! :D

Return to “Animals and Pets”