Folk who dropped out of school

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Pav

Folk who dropped out of school

Post by Pav »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here dropped out of school at the age of 17 or so. If there is anyone could you give me advice on where to go from here, or what you yourselves did at this time. any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated :) thanks in advance

p.s. time is of the essence for i may be forced to murder my parents in order to get some peace :P lol
kai

Post by kai »

I dont know about the study/schooling system there, but over here we have 12 grades in a school, and by age of 14 or 15 we had done our 10th grade, after which we can apply for a diploma course, and after which we can apply for a degree and many universities allow a diploma holder to skip first year of college, if the diploma is in the same stream/major as the degree. Or you can go for some other courses :) there are many, you just need to look up and do some running around.
[Kai]
sjellis

Post by sjellis »

get your GED then go to college. or go back to school. don't limit yourself.

if you dropped out of school because it was too hard. let me tell you. life is harder. if you are 17 you are almost to the point of graduating. why would you want to waste 11 years of schooling just to drop out at the last minute?
Pav

Post by Pav »

So far the only thing thats harder without school his having to suffer my parents. I was always bad at schooling, it was only blind luck that got me as far as i was, and this last year is apparently the hardest one yet. If I couldnt pass GCSE then I wont pull through A level. I've suddenly seen my current position as having a head start on jobs, I wont get the better jobs as my more successful chums will but I wont be competing with the that whole year like they will :P I dont think going back is an option, not only is it probably too late and they wont let me, but I also seem doomed to fail any form of government education. And really theres nothing I could learn in a life time of school that I couldnt learn in a week of quality time with wikipedia :P
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

excuse me wikipedia is cool and all that stuff BUT

get your grad papers, 1. it wil look good on your resume
2. you are getting qualified for a job easier that pay's more and is more up your alley.

there are more reasons but the primary one is that you generally make more money thus have a relitively easier life. take it from me, i've been there.

luckily for my proffession employers search for past expierence above a grad paper, as long as you meet the qualifications, but that is rare in the overall job market and i doubt you'll want to be a truck driver
Pav

Post by Pav »

the quality of jobs doesnt mean much. so long as i get enough money from them to live they'll do. lol I could actually see a couple of pluses to truck driving. I cant go back to school but i have heard of other ways to make up for GCSE etc. special courses and what not. but i failed education once. its more than likely i'll fail it again
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

pluck yourself out of the gutter

i mean i also whistled through school, on a low level mind you
i was tested to be of high education, but i was to lazy to do homework.
and i like driving so i got what i wanted.

truck driving has allot of minus to it believe me, but what kind of carreer are you aiming for?

i really recomend finishing school. you make a better chance in life that way.
Pav

Post by Pav »

any carreer is fitting enough. given the choice I'd choose something to do with animals, but not being a vet (ha we never did anything along those lines during school anyway) The man in charge himself rang me to say I wouldnt be accepted back for the final year, that pretty much spelt the end of school. unless i seek to sneak in but im hardly the most unnoticable of people :P
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

wow in here yuo can fail twice after that you need to go to another type of school (for mentally disabled peeps) and the higher education here can fail thrice
Pav

Post by Pav »

lol lucky. if it only it was the same here
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

If you like computers, you could spend your time learning how to design web sites. Once you have that skill, a whole new world opens up to you. My brother and sister both graduated from college and have Masters degrees. I did not finish college (though I did graduate high school) and I am better off financially than either of them. My mom and dad both graduated college with Bachelor's degrees and I'm doing better than them too. I also don't have to work very hard now that my site is up and running and making money. I haven't actually added much to it for three years but it just gets more and more visitors. It's a great life.

I can't teach you how to do what I'm doing (because that is boring and lame and my life is all about having a great time), but I learned it by myself and if you are motivated and really love computers and Internet, you could learn too.

Watch the movie "The Secret" and follow the advice given there. Your parents will crap themselves when you do better than anyone they know, but you have to have the right frame of mind to get there. I'm guessing that you don't have that or you wouldn't have had such trouble with high school. Start making your life great now, while you're young, and you'll have your whole life to do whatever you want to like I'm doing.

Another thing is, don't have kids until you are at least 33. Kids will make your life SO much harder and more restrictive.

Bright Blessings,
Pav

Post by Pav »

Thanks for the advice :) I'll definatly consider it, and don't worry I have no intention of having kids at all, if i want something small, cute, leaves mess everywhere and needs attention I'll get a dog lol
Ashara

Post by Ashara »

I quit school at 17 and I'm now 41 and going back to school. It has been hard to find jobs without a high school diploma. Don't quit. Stay in and if at all possible go to college or technical school afterwards... parents can be a pain but life is worse on your own without skills to fall back on. Just my opinion.
Ashara

Not a morning person doesn't even begin to cover it.

Next mood swing in 6 minutes!
[echolady]

Post by [echolady] »

hi there, i dropped out when i was 16 ( am 24 now ) , and the first thing u want to do is get your GED. even if u never go to college u atleast want to get that. Believe me it will make it easier to get a job, and most jobs that pay over minimum wage (and believe me that is not a living wage by any means ) require u to have atleast a GED. when i was 19 i was trying to get a job in a hospital cafeteria ( not glamourous but had very good health insurance ) and i was told i was unqualified to serve food without a GED.
The GED is no sweet really, useually u can take practice classes and quizzes at the local community college for little to no cost, and they are much harder than the real test.

To let u know how bad our education system is where i live, I knew a kid who was supposed to be a senore and hadn't passed the 9th grade yet.

Do consider college,it is easier than u think. consider this: In school u had to mostly study what u were told to wether it interested u or not, incollege u are strudying for something u want to do and are more than likely interested in. Even if u have a hard time at school work believe me, college can be much easier just for the simple fact u want to learn what u are learning. makes all the hours u spend studying away not seem so long and tedious. plus u could take one course a semester, who cares if it takes u 10 years? that way if u really are bad at school work u only have to concentrate on 1 subject at a time. And when your filling out job apps. anywhere it looks WAY better if u can right down that your a student. did u know that if a college student , with little to no experience applies for a job ( almost any job ) at the same time with someone as years of experience, the college student is 2x as likely to get the job ? employers see a student as someone with ambition.

Without an education u will most likely have 2 try not 2x as hard as everyone else but 4 or 5 x, unless u get lucky. and thats just to get a decent job that pays your bills. not nesscearily a job that u can stand going to every day. believe me i know.

well i could talk about it all night but i have written enough, good luck. if there is some way i could help u on your search please pm me i would be happy to help u find info on your situation.

echolady
Pav

Post by Pav »

Thanks for the advice Echolady, and everyone else. I went to see someone for careers advice and they pointed me to a couple of colleges with courses i'm interested in that i can take using my GCSE results to take them if i remember right these courses should lead give some work expirience or full time employments. I think it will be next year before i reply, if i do so now i would have already missed a lot of things and i think it would be better to start at the begining without being rushed. that does mean i'll be 18 amongst a bunch of 16 year olds but thats pretty much the only downside lol i just need something to busy me until then :)

Return to “Teen Concerns”