WTF happened with Eragon??

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
jcrowfoot

WTF happened with Eragon??

Post by jcrowfoot »

Eragon was a wonderful book. How could anyone not make a good movie out of that book? Most scripts aren't that clearly or visually written. Why couldn't a GOOD movie director gotten his hands on it???

Whine, growl, moan.... done now.
Draconis

Post by Draconis »

havnt seen it yet but I believe the director tried to appeal to to many audiences at once, instead of focussing on a certain age group they tried to appeal to young, middle and old at the same time. Personally if I was directing it I would of made it a risky 12/safe 15
All of lifes little problems can be solved by beating the buggers on the head with a broom.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I was going to watch it, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just read the book instead. Isn't there a sequel to 'Eragon'?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Yes. It's interesting to note that the author is 15 years old. Humbling. I'm twice that age and can't seem to finish a novel. :-)
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Yeah, I was so impressed when I heard that he was so young. The second book is called 'Elder', btw, and the third one was supposed to also be a 6 letter word startinge with E (Empire I think) but now that a real company has bought up the rights he might be forced to change it.

I haven't watched the movie yet because I've heard that it's quite... off.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

jcrowfoot wrote:Yes. It's interesting to note that the author is 15 years old. Humbling. I'm twice that age and can't seem to finish a novel.
i dont find that so strange, if a person really lets a child go with thier imagination it is inconcievable what said child may come up with. most parent will say they encourage an imagination but when the child starts to exhibit a lust for fantasy thier parents will usually snap them back to reality by dismissing what they say as "silly non-sense"...very sad.

im like that, in a certain context(the not being able to finish part) i begin to write a story and i think they are really good and so do the people i get to read them but then i get another idea and a new story starts...rinse and repeat, i think i have about 6 stories in progress.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

That's why it's so impressive that a 15 year old wrote this book, Sobek. The imagination is a given (though it's particularily great that the parents actually nurtured that) but it is not a small book. It's a feat to get a teenager to accomplish something like that, and I don't think he needed any prodding, just support.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Agreed. I had a half-finished novel when I was young, and my parents discouraged me because I was *obsessed* with it and they couldn't stand to hear me talk about it anymore.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

15 yrs old?!?! Wow. Most kids don't even like to read! Anyway, how many books are in the series? By the way, jcrowfoot, did you ever finish your novel? I can't believe that parents would try to keep their children from being creative! It's madness! :shock:
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Haley, I mentioned before in this thread that there will be 3 books. Eragon, Elder, and (Empire).
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Oops! :oops: That's what I get for skimming!
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Nope. It was a science fiction/historical novel. It was two stories, one about space travelers lost in time, the mystical childhood of Hatshepsut, and how those two worlds collided. I started it when I was eight years old. Part of the problem was that people kept falling asleep every time I read parts of it out loud to them. :oops:

My REAL giving out was when I saw Star Gate within a week of reading Pyramids, a mass paperback and mediocre novel that came out right about the same time. That book was SO bad that it made everything that involved the Ancient Egyptians and technology look very silly.

I did an exhaustive search for it at Amazon, but couldn't find it, and THEY don't know who the author was, either. It was not the book by Terry Prachett... even his worst book ever was light-years better than this one.

I still have the thread of the story in my head, and maybe if I made it a comedy I could redeem it some day.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

oooh i love StarGate. i have all of the seasons that are currently available for purchase...seasons 1-9 of SG-1 and season 1 of Atlantis. LOL :P

alot of people think it's one of the worst sci-fi's but i think it's among the best...
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Well, I'm a Christian Dean Anderson fan, so I'm not a good judge of these things. However, my first true love was MacGuyver. ;-)

Yes, I imagine I will look like Marge's older sister(s) when I get old... only fat. <shudder>

I liked the movie actually, and was ok with the tv show. My favorite part was the first scene in the movie where the geek archeologist tells the US Military what's what. But then, I LOVE geeks. :-) Most women think I'm deranged.

My biggest problem with Star Gate was the whole "Egyptian Gods being evil aliens" thing. The tv show made it somewhat better in that some of the aliens were good, too. So it wasn't the quality of Stargate that was the problem.

When I was a kid, if what I did *in* *any* *way* sounded like something someone else did, I would feel crushed because I wanted to be original. Too bad it took me 20 years to figure out that everything has been done. Don't get me wrong, people were telling me this right and left. I just couldn't accept that nothing was REALLY nothing new under the Sun.
I was most purely Aquarius when I was a child.

After all, some of the best Sherlock Holmes stories ever written were written by Laurie King, and honestly there are no new ideas in there... except the combination is brilliant and she's a great author.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol, ive never come across a person who wasnt a macguyver fan.

i love the Egyptian Gods, but im also a sucker for bad guy's in Tv if they have class...and the Goa'uld have class. but its not only the Egyptian Gods who are evil, the was a few Chinese, Celtic and Hindu ones in there as well. i love the replicators though. the movie was pretty excellent.

my view of original these days is so long as you didnt see the idea then go "hmm i might use that" its something that you think of...even if you later find out there are things exactly the same or similar.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”