Athame or Wand?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
[Enlightenment]

Athame or Wand?

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Which do you use for casting Circle, Athame or Wand, or just your finger maybe?

I have always used my Wand but I've just bought a gorgeous new Egyptian Athame so I'll be mixing and matching from now on.

Which do you prefer to use?

Kristy
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I don't know why I'm replying to this- because I don't cast circles- but I am. The few- and I mean FEW- times that I've cast a circle I've used my finger. It seems more handy to just use a finger. I've never had a wand or athame, but if I did I might use them if I ever cast a circle.
[Enlightenment]

Tools are just props enfused with our own Magic, hence why our hand/finger works just the same.
~Blessings One and All~

Storm

Post by Storm »

I rarely cast a circle. But I do own a beautiful wand made from Holly wood which I use to direct energy.
_Cheshire_

Post by _Cheshire_ »

I agree with the finger theory, because it's not the tool used that counts it's the willpower.

But if I did have to choose, I'd use an Athame. But if I did use an Athame, I'd have to do the "Psycho" music and stabbing gesture a few times before I got started LOL. I just like knives better. :twisted:
Baratoz

Re: Athame or Wand?

Post by Baratoz »

Enlightenment wrote:Which do you use for casting Circle, Athame or Wand, or just your finger maybe?

I have always used my Wand but I've just bought a gorgeous new Egyptian Athame so I'll be mixing and matching from now on.

Kristy
For circle casting, all three are interchangeable. I use my athame to cast the circle, release it and to cut open and close doorways in the circle. I sometimes use my wand during invocations and to direct energy, like charging items or herbs. I also use it during spells where I need to draw symbols in the air. It's up to you though.

I did read somewhere though that it's improper/rude to call quarters or invite the God and Goddess to the circle using the athame. An open hand was recommended and is what I do.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

enlightenment, would it be possible for you to post a picture of it?
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Post by Vigdisdotter »

Enlightenment wrote:Which do you use for casting Circle, Athame or Wand, or just your finger maybe?
All of the above, plus a stave and a rattle. It really depends on the setting and what's available to me to work with :)
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

For the past decade or so, just my bare hands. Now that I've had some different training and experience, I love working with my athame.
[Enlightenment]

Sobek wrote:enlightenment, would it be possible for you to post a picture of it?
Yeah sure, I haven't got my Bluetooth set up on this laptop yet so it's not my own picture but if you follow this link and click on the pictures this is the exact same Athame as mine and the same shop I bought it from. It's even better in real life, it's gorgeous and a very good price too :wink:
Once I get my Bluetooth set up on this new laptop of mine I'll post you some piccies of my whole Altar, only photos from my camera phone mind.

http://www.pagandreams.co.uk/Catalogue/ ... ?prod=1171
~Blessings One and All~

Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

my goodness that is absolutely beautiful
[Enlightenment]

:roll: :D The detail on it is so intricate Sobek, like I said before I never imagined it to be so detailed, and it's a fair weight too. I can recommend this beautiful Athame to anyone, especially if you're into Egyptian Pantheon.
~Blessings One and All~

[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

my goodness that is absolutely beautiful
:shock: It is beautiful! I love the blade, I've always been fond of the curvy shape. The heiroglyphs on the sheath are amazing too. :)
Tianta

Post by Tianta »

Kristy
I use to use a wand before it got destroyed, I'm looking at purchasing a crystal wand at some point. I prefer to use only a wand, don't really know why though....
Saria

Post by Saria »

Unfortunately, I have neither at the moment although I do have a staff that I use as a wand so I guess wand.
In the land of twilight under the moon...

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”