Ointments and Salves

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Sercee

Ointments and Salves

Post by Sercee »

Hi
I was wondering if any of you have made your own ointments or salves? How did it work out? What base did you use?

I've read pork lard (though I'm not very interested in using animal fats), beeswax or vaseline work well mixed with any of a plethora of oils.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I often make ointments and salves Sercee - it's very therapuetic and also I like to know EXACTLY what goes into products that I'm going to use on my body and my families.
My favourite base is Olive oil - simply because it's cheap compared to others and readily available. I use Coconut oil a lot too and I even managed to find a cheap supplier of Shea Butter over here, so I've been using that a lot as well. Beeswax plays an important role in making salves as it acts as a solidifier and also vitamin E oil as it acts as a preservative.
That's your basic recipe, though you'll have to experiment with quantities, then all you need are the Herbs you want to use. Some people like to add essential oils for the smell as well as the properties.
hope that's helped. There's a post over in Herbs and Herbalism about the different types of oils you can use and the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
:D
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I made it easy for you I found the link
:D
http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... php?t=2096
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Thanks so much for the help, Hedge! I'm nearly done getting my ingredients figured out so that is perfect timing!
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

One more question:

For the beeswax, can it be from a beeswax candle or is there a specific form I should be looking for?
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

As far as I'm aware beeswax candles just contain beeswax so I don't see any problem with using them at all. If you can make sure they are 100% beeswax with no added ingredients then I would highly reccomend that you do so.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Here in Glasgow, you can buy beeswax for making ointments, it comes in packs and it's small flakelike pieces or buttons. I saw it in Neals Yard and a healthfood shop too. I think it's probably easier to use the candles but most of the health and new age stores sell this and other ingredients. Might be worth a look, I think they are quite inexpensive too.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

The flakes/buttons of wax would be great, since they would melt a lot easier and more uniformly, like chocolate. But if I can't find any I do have a candle of pure beeswax, just have to take out the wick.

Thanks guys!

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”