Dream Catcher

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Smolly

Dream Catcher

Post by Smolly »

Here are the instructions to make a Dream Catcher of your own. The items listed are for a five-inch Dream Catcher.
* 5-inch hoop
* 4 yd. of leather or whatever material you would like to use to wrap your hoop with.
* 3 yd. of waxed thread or whatever material you would like to use as the web.
* Decorative items could be used such as: conches, beads, or feathers.
* Other items needed to make the Dream Catchers are scissors, glue and a clamp or clothe pin.

To Start:
1. You take the leather lace or whatever material you have chosen, and wrap the hoop. This is very time consuming but it is important. You must wrap it tightly, cover the whole hoop, and be careful not to twist the leather. Once you reach the beginning point glue the end of the leather lace to the beginning lace. To keep it in place you can use a clamp, clothespin, or anything that will hold the end leather in place until the glue dries.
2. Start the web by using whatever material you have chosen; and make seven to nine half hitch knots around the hoop. To make a half hitch knot you wrap the thread around the hoop and bring the thread back through the loop you made with the thread and pull tight. (Keep in minds that over time the web may sag so keep things tight)
3. The next steps is to take your thread through the first loop put it in the middle of loop and make a half hitch knot and pull it tight. Continue around the hoop in each loop of thread that you have previously made. Once you get to the center of the hoop and only a small hole is left, you put a double knot in the thread, and cut off the excess thread and glue it to the web.
4. To add the decorative items use long leather pieces about eight-inch long and attach it to the hoop. Wrap it around the hoop and tie it. Then there will be two four-inch strands of leather (I use two eight-inch strands of leather). Then you string your beads on the leather. Whatever beads you like to use or how many beads, is totally up to you. I prefer the silver little beads and long turquoise beads in the middle of the silver beads. When you have the amount you want on the leather strand, you double knot the leather near the bead. The strand will hang down the side of the hoop.
5. You can attach a feather to the bottom of the strand of leather on the side of the hoop, or you can push the feathers up to the end of the last bead or glue them to the leather piece. I put two feathers on each strand. I like to use robin feathers, pheasant feathers, or turtledove feathers. You can buy any feathers you would like from a hobby store. The Indians used eagle feathers but it is against the law to do so now. The Indians need special permits to use feathers from eagle.
6. To finish your Dream Catcher, at the top of the hoop put a concho with a leather strand around the hoop and tie it in a double knot. You can add feathers, beads, or any other decorative item you would like.

You also can put a bead within the web of the Dream Catcher. It is the belief that a bead in the web catches strength and knowledge from the dreams, floating in the air and then it is sent to the one whom is sleeping with the Dream Catcher near him/her. Several people will also put a lizard on their web, a gecko, signifies a dreamer
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

ive wanted to make one of these for quite some time so tell, in regards to the hoop, where would i obtain such an object?
Smolly

Post by Smolly »

someone once told me to use a wire coathanger and pull it til it is a hoop-like shape
but if you want it a perfect hoop i guess you should go to a crafts store or something
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't know what stores you have in Australia, but I've seen them at several craft store chains here, like Lewiscraft and Michaels. A coathanger would work, but they are very hard to shape. You could also try coaxial cable. It wouldn't stay a perfect hoop shape by itself, but the wrapping would help.
Teaca

Post by Teaca »

i get everything i need right at walmart :) they have it all. I've been making dream catchers since i was like 9. so 10 years i've been making them wow lol. i've gotten pretty fast at them. i make like 5 a day if its what i do for like half the day and they are the medium sized ones but i make the key chain ones all the way up to the huge ones :) they calm my mind down when i'm having a bad day. i'll post a couple of the ones i've done.
merry meet, merry part, until we meet again blessed be
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Sobek.

You get hoops from Spotlight... thats if ur in Australia, i could have misread lol
chrs8gar

Post by chrs8gar »

i get everything i need right at walmart :) they have it all. "

Diddo! :)
Solo quiero ser tranqila, no quiero lastimar a nadie.
canobiecrazy

Post by canobiecrazy »

Lampshade holders. There already in a perfect hoop and are made of fairly sturdy wire.
orientalgem

Post by orientalgem »

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”