Threshold Magic

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Threshold Magic

Post by Firebird »

THRESHOLD MAGIC

Well, I didn't even know this was a thing that had a name but seems there is some science to the crossing of a threshold.

For a long time we have used it as a way to release the past and other things that plague the mind in ritual action. Magicians have long used the threshold as a means to shift reality. In theory when you step through the opening that is intentionally (or unintentionally) set one is entering another dimension, time or place. Say you wish to be free of a memory that has long caused you distress. Your coven mates prepare a portal for you pass through. Sticks and branches work well as does two trees spaced close together, or if you must be indoors an actual doorway. As part of the ritual action an item that represents your trouble is imbued with the energy you wish to be free of. (It can be and actual item like a yardstick you were hit with, or the issue is written on paper, or you could just mentally transfer the issue to a stone a leaf or maybe pinecone) With some meditation and perhaps some drumming and/or chanting, the celebrant gets to a point where they are ready to leave this (issue) in the past. They leave the item (sometimes buried or burned) behind on the ground or if it's environmentally sound let it go in moving water. Then you step through the portal without looking back. Leaving it behind once and for all.

There is some science to the fact that you may forget things once you pass through a doorway. Like you go into a room and think, why did I come in here? You are not crazy, you are experiencing the Doorway Effect:
Separate studies on the presence of a doorway effect elicited incongruences with typical rhythms of life. Some suggest it may be reasonable to expect that humans should instead be rather facile with dealing with movement from one location to another, and its effects on memory recall – especially with objects one was recently carrying. It has been separately proposed that the doorway effect might be attributed to self-preservation behaviors, evoking alertness towards the lurking of predators on the edge of openings when crossing such thresholds. Hence, guiding one's attention from an internal to external perspective.[9] Implications extend to realms of verbal learning and comprehension, whereby the presence of the effect even on small, short-term memory loads, demonstrates the importance of one's environment on subsequent performance especially for more complex tasks (recalling exam material, interpersonal details, human engagement etc.).
source wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doorway_e ... ld_Effects (ps, there are many other sources, google "Doorway effect")

BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
RavenClaw

Re: Threshold Magic

Post by RavenClaw »

The doorway effect has happened to me too many times. Looks like this magical method is going into my BOS. Thanks for the info!
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You're Welcome!
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Every new experience, every step in a spiritual existence is crossing a threshold. Standing at the threshold is the resting place, the pregnant pause, of any active and open spiritual seeker. Humans are creatures of the threshold.

Crossing new thresholds: we change the world; the world changes and we are changed.

This is an unpredictable act, for fear is an aspect of an anticipation, an excitement and a hope.
supremz

Post by supremz »

This is some seriously good information. Thanks for sharing. I had totally forgotten what my old neopagan friends said about the “astral void”, which is essentially the opposite of the ether. It’s a place where nothing happens or takes place; Nirvana. Persian mysticism also describes a place your soul must traverse after you die im which it must experience pure nonexistence. In addition to teaching me a lot, it also brought back some good memories!

Return to “Advanced Witchcraft”