Litha/Midsummer and SAD

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
LuckyPenny

Litha/Midsummer and SAD

Post by LuckyPenny »

Hi all -
As long as I can remember I've experienced seasonal depression in the summer months rather than the winter. This isn't uncommon, although most people associate SAD with the shorter days of winter. I think that too much sunlight interrupts my sleep cycle, and that contributes to it along with things like being socially pressured to go out and spend money to do things and a general dislike for heat and humidity.

My mood seems to be lowest right after Litha and I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same and if you've done any spells or rituals to help feel more energy, gratitude, or enjoyment during the endless hours of blazing sun. (I'm looking to use magic in addition to the boring practical things I already do for seasonal depression, like using blackout curtains, getting exercise, wearing sunblock, setting time limits and budgets for social activities, etc.)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Litha/Midsummer and SAD

Post by Firebird »

Hi!, I have not personally heard of this but It would be understandable that the lack of sleep and the heat and humidity can really tap one's energy. That certainly would contribute to feeling low.
You have already taken great steps in knowing your limits and the blackout curtains etc...
There are sleep spells that might help you get a better night. Magically speaking I have found a gratitude journal and leaving offerings to be helpful in lifting the mood. These small yet powerful acts are cumulative, and the relief experienced comes on the more one makes the practice a magical and sacred act.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Hi there, Luckypenny.
I too am affected by SAD in the summer months, and am eagerly counting the days until the days are shorter and the weather is much more favorable so I can feel like myself again.

To help you sleep, I recommend tea with chamomile, lavender, or valerian root. Even just making time to sit down and enjoy a cup while being mindful will go a long way during difficult times.

Hope this helps! :fairy:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
LuckyPenny

Post by LuckyPenny »

Thanks everyone - I've been trying to take moments to express my gratitude (I ring a bell when I have a moment of thanks) and have leaned into the chamomile and lavender scents and it's helping (along with the inevitable march of the seasons!)

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”