Speaking of Astral Projection...

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
[SanityIsLost]

Speaking of Astral Projection...

Post by [SanityIsLost] »

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a different form (as in becoming another animal) while astral projecting? I don't know much about the subject so I'm sorry if it is a stupid or obvious question...
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

That's what this forum is here for - to share, to learn and to ask questions.
It isn't possible to take another form whilst AP'ing as far as I'm aware. It's your etheric self that roams the higher planes and it will appear to you as it does on this plane.
[SanityIsLost]

Post by [SanityIsLost] »

Thanks, Hedgewitch. I only asked because I have this friend who is also Wiccan and I asked her about astral projection. She told me she turns into a wherewolf with wings. I was only windering if it was possible. I guess it does sound kind of silly...
Elem

Post by Elem »

If she flies around as a werewolf with wings, I'd go as far as to suggest that she's simply got an overactive imagination.. Or has fallen asleep while trying :).

That is, of course, assuming that 'astral projection' isn't simply.. Well.. 'projecting' within our own minds, anyway. I'm pretty sure it's just me, but I've always been quite 'uncomfortable' with the idea of there being 'other planes of existence outside our own', as if they're wondrous places filled with other creatures and people.. And, as if, in some sense.. They have a 'physical' presence, alongside our own physical plane. People fling the term 'planes' around because it's a common term.. But it does actually have definitions and meanings :).

A 'plane' is a state of existence. Theory goes that we're living a 'physical' existence, since we are physical beings. If you astrally project, you're living (allbeit temporarily) in a 'spiritual' existence, since you're no longer tied down to the physical laws of your body. However, this is where things start to get complicated.. ;). Is 'spiritual' existence something that exists only in our minds? Or is it 'somewhere' else? Of course, for it to be 'somewhere' (i.e. to have a location, on the X Y Z), it'd have to have some kind of.. <b>physical</b> existence. In which case, you're still existing in the physical realm.

However, if this 'spiritual' realm were to be something that is constructed by your mind - i.e. non-physical, and simply 'imagination' / visualisation.. Then it has no true physical presence. As such, you're existing on another plane. You're conciously controlling your 'spiritual' body, and moving around in a world that doesn't exist in the physical plane.. Only in your mind.

But before I confuse further, I'll end this rambling :). Suffice to say, I personally believe that 'astral projection' isn't so much 'projecting' out of your body and into some other-worldly plane of existence.. Rather, it's being able to 'project' into your mind. What you make of it / 'see' is up to you.. But, ultimately, you're 'simply' delving deeper into your own subconciousness.

God I ramble sometimes.. Haha.

Elem
Elem

Post by Elem »

Gad.. I've really gotta stop killing threads with my rambling.. haha. Apologies :oops: .

Elem
Leo*Moon

Post by Leo*Moon »

I beleive that your AP self will be however you imagine you lol. A werewolf with wings is a little far fetched but hey, if your friend beleives she's an otherkin, then maybe it's not. I have heard many things, including that the soul has no true form. Is it me or is there an absence of the laws of physics on the astral. lol!

Good Luck!
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
Elem

Post by Elem »

Is it me or is there an absence of the laws of physics on the astral. lol!
My point exactly ;).

Elem
[SanityIsLost]

Post by [SanityIsLost] »

Thanks everybody! Elem, I love your ranting and what you said above really made sense. The only reason it tends to kill a thread is because it's usually such a good answer no one has anything to add/ wants to follow your answer. ::coolglasses:: Well, that's the case with me when I come across your rants anyway.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I liken the physical the astral and the spiritual to an ice cube - it is solid but has the potential to be a gas and a liquid.
The astral is governed by laws you can rest assured of that and this fact alone tells me that it is more than an inward projection. If it were purely an inward projection then there would be no laws and no limits except those of our own imaginations.
But we're discussing things that we can't even prove.
Whether it be an inward or outward projection is really by the by - it is the process of using a part of our brain that is otherwise unused.
Elem - I'm quite surprised that you have such a problem accepting other realms. Call me presumptious but your talk of energy had me presuming that you would be more open to the reality of different planes.
What level do you suppose energy to exist in?
Solely the physical?
Elem

Post by Elem »

Elem - I'm quite surprised that you have such a problem accepting other realms. Call me presumptious but your talk of energy had me presuming that you would be more open to the reality of different planes.
What level do you suppose energy to exist in?
Solely the physical
Yes, I believe that the energy we interact with is as 'physical' an energy as any other energy / force in our humble little Universe :). I do not, as many do, believe it to be electromagnetic in nature, though. Were this the case, it would be hindered by 'speed limits' and would be easily detectable. Through my experiences with energy, I have found that it adheres to neither of these rules.. So can be assumed to not be electromagnetic.

Rather, I'd propose that it's another force / energy entirely. There's nothing absurd or far-fetched about that, minds you.. Scientists are forever looking for particles that "may or may not exist, depending on the position of my hand on this chocolate bar" (well, not exactly phrased that way.. but you get my point ;) haha), etc.. etc.. Time and time again it's been 'proven' that energy / particles exist that affect us.. but are almost entirely undetectable unless identified in a very very specific way.

I believe that the energy we use is similar to electromagnetic. However, it is an energy that is spread throughout 'everything'.. i.e., exists everywhere. It is made up of ranges of wavelengths, just like our electromagnetic spectrum.. And depending upon which particular wavelength you're looking at / utilising, you get different effects. The spectrum, as a whole, can be split into four roughly equal groups of wavelength ranges - We know them as 'The Elements'.

As far as I'm concerned, and as far as I've been able to tell in all the research I've done, it stands to reason that the energy we use is entirely physical in nature. It affects us in a physical way - something it could not do unless it were able to exert physical force upon us / our atoms / molecules. It is however, an extremely 'dilute' force. It takes a great deal of will and power to create a noticeable effect - which goes some way towards explaining why we can't all just snap our fingers and make things fly around the room with it ;).

It's not that I don't believe in existing within other realities.. It's just that I believe we, ourselves, create these realities. So long as they exist within our minds.. They do, at least in some sense, still exist. We all carve our own reality.. In mine, alternate planes exist within our own minds.. In yours, they exist as a different place entirely. Either way, nobody's wrong.. nobody's right ;). As long as it makes sense in your existence, and your reality.. Then everything's ok :).

Elem

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”