Is This True?

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
[Haley]

Is This True?

Post by [Haley] »

I was doing some research on lip priecing and came across two disturbing articles. In the first one this guy, Daniel (17), died 2 months after getting a lip piercing from blood poisoning. Can this really happen even with proper care? here's the link for the entire story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 429298.stm
The other article said that lip piercings can cause you to devlop a receding gum line in the front bottom section of your teeth. It's due to the stud of the piercing rubbing up against the gums. Which could cause sensitivity to hot and cold food or drinks and puts you at risk for gingivitis or the loss of otherwise heathly teeth. It goes on to say that you could contract hepatitis b or c. However it tells you how to stay safe and heathly with lip piercings, so did the author just mean that those things are just the result of poor care and a bad piercer, and can be easily prevented? Here's the link if you want to read it: http://www.wfts.com/health/stories/2006 ... cing.shtml
elizabeth0126

Post by elizabeth0126 »

In the first one this guy, Daniel (17), died 2 months after getting a lip piercing from blood poisoning

I think the only way that could happen is if it wasn't clean. If the needle or somethign wasn't clean then I could see the blood poisoning.
It's due to the stud of the piercing rubbing up against the gums. Which could cause sensitivity to hot and cold food or drinks and puts you at risk for gingivitis or the loss of otherwise heathly teeth.
With the stud rubbing on the gums I could see that happening because it would be pushing the gums back.

It goes on to say that you could contract hepatitis b or c.
That could also happen if the piercer was using dirty needles and other instruments. Thats why when you go in to get a piercing, please please please make sure you look around to see how clean the place is. Whenever I have gotten new piercings they have let me watch them open everything so that I would know things are clean.[/quote]
Blessed Be!
Live, Love, and Laugh
~~elizabeth0126~~
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Well the boy could have been alergic to the metal with could end up posining his blood, but most peiceres use medical steel with very fue people are elergic to, but ht could have not kept it clean of the person who did it used a dirty needle

Gum line resided i have seen a fue times. I dont remeber the condistions though, i think thay had it priced to low or something.

Useing dirty needs can als give you other desised, when you go in ask to see the tools, where i got my belly ting done at thay where very very very steral. In the medical plasic bads and once the neddles where finished being used that put them in the same bin the docteres do for safty.

Just go in ask to see how thay do it, ask to see there tools, and look around the place to see if its clean and things. and Ask them about any concerns a good peicer will be completly honest and tell you every thing good and bad.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

As for the gum line thing, forgot to put this but the author said all you had to do is switch to a shorter stud. Would this help reduce the risks or does it all depend on where piercer places it? I've done a lot of rescearch and found 3 great shops in Ohio that where inspected by the owner- or someone- of the site. In the furture- when I can drive- I'll check them out. For those that have their labret pierced, did it hurt? And please don't lie and say you did feel a thing.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Naval kinda tickaled, but i donno about that one. Here in a fue weeks on my birthday i am getting my cartlage peirced! Then maby my nose depending on how well my ear heals. :)
Merry Part
~Addalaide
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I'm not good with ear piercings. I got them done twice but it never stuck. When you get it done don't pierce it too high. This one girl wanted her's higher up on her ear and it kept getting caught on her hair and it had a hard time healing. Here's what I don't get about nose piercings, how do you pick your nose? Does the piercing get in the way? Oh, and happy early birthday! :D
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

lol, yeah my sister had alot of trubal with hers, but i have found a somewhat more expiensive what simpaler sulution to the ear ring thing. Clairs and other not so serius ear peiceing places use a little gun to peirce your ears with. At an acculal tattoo parler/peirceing store thay use hollow neddles witch take a chunk out of your eat so that your peiceing isnt pushing the cartlage over, witch makes it swell more and takes longer to heal, also a reguler ear ring isnt good to use because if it sweels then you ear is putting pressure on the ear stud, so a profetional whould use a round ring. so did all that make sence?

i have 3 ear rings on one side and 2 on the other, non have had to me re pierced and i have had the buttom pair sence i was 6 and secent pair sence i was 12 or 13 and the 3erd one i did myself about......4 years ago. I had to take my belly ring out.....didnt heal right.

p.s. yous not sposta pick your nose! but what i always wondered was can you breath out of that little hole?
Thanks for the birthday thing!
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Oh yeah and i got almost all my information from the people at the ivillage form on pirceings and tattoos!

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-sb ... l,searchmb

Not really promoting other forms. But this one is a prety good one for wemen, it has clothing, makeup, hairstyles, and things of that sort.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I've heard that guns aren't the best thing to use when piercing because they're hard to sterilize (I think I spelled that wrong.)
p.s. yous not sposta pick your nose! but what i always wondered was can you breath out of that little hole?
Thanks for the birthday thing!
Everybody picks thier nose whether they admit it or not! That's an intersting question. I have no idea though, but I bet you could if you tried hard enough! You're Welcome! :D Thanks for the site I'll check it out after I eat.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I see them as ok to peirce the lobes of your ears, but cartlage, bad idea. My cousin said when she got hers peiced thay put something up it that made her feel like sneezing. but in 1 week and 6 days i get my cartlage peirced :D
Merry Part
~Addalaide
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Yay! My friend wants to get that small part of the ear pierced. I'm not sure what it's called. I think it'll look good, but it's the thickest part of the ear and it most likely will hurt a bit.
[AmberRose13]

Post by [AmberRose13] »

there is a great website that I have discovered now that I am concidering a piercing of my own. check out the APP website. It has a list of registered piercers that are checked on every few months to make sure they are sanitary and all equipment is up to date. They even have a page devoted to piercers who claim to be registered with them who aren't, so that way you don't end up going to a fraud.
google APP. I can't remember what the web address is, sorry.... :(
:edit: I found it! http://www.safepiercing.org

-Amberrose
"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."
- R.K. Milholland

Return to “Teen Concerns”