Ritual or spell for when someone passes away.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
intheflatfield

Ritual or spell for when someone passes away.

Post by intheflatfield »

Hi all,

i just wondered if there is something you guys do in this situation. I lost someone very dear to me yesterday and would like to do something within Wicca to honour them and their life.

Thanks in advance.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Ritual or spell for when someone passes away.

Post by SpiritTalker »

My sympathy for your loss. The Wiccan funereal rite is called a requiem. It's part ritual & part invention, part wake.

As a solitaire eclectic I'd cleanse the space & cast a simple circle& place a photo or mementos or just the name of the person on the altar along with a white votive candle for the deceased. The candle would be set with the intent of a speedy peaceful journey into the Light for the soul of the deceased. Do not use sage! It banishes spirits which isn't polite at a memorial? Use rosemary-for-remembrance as incense &/or sprinkled dry outside the candle cup (so bits dont catch) &/or anoint it with rosemary oil. The votive would be allowed to burn out on it's own so a safe place like a wall shelf for it to sit for 10-15 hours would be needed, preferably on a west-wall as west is the sun-set & summerland. I'd grieve within the circle & ground-to-pacify the sorrow when energy is grounded at the end. Any leftover rosemary herb and ashes would be sprinkled into the wind at some point afterwards & dispose of leftover candle wax.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Very sorry for your loss. I also composed a ritual several years ago for a similar situation -- you can find it here.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

SpiritTalker wrote:My sympathy for your loss. The Wiccan funereal rite is called a requiem. It's part ritual & part invention, part wake.

As a solitaire eclectic I'd include casting a circle, placing a photo or memento of the person on the altar along with a white votive candle for the deceased & thanking the person for their love. The candle would be set with the intent of a speedy peaceful journey into the Light for the soul of the deceased. Id include rosemary-for-remembrance burned as incense &/or sprinkled dry outside the candle cup (so bits dont catch fire in the candle cup) &/or anoint it with rosemary oil. The votive would be allowed to burn out on it's own so a safe place like a wall shelf for it to sit for 10-15 hours would be needed, preferably on a west-wall as west is the sun-set. I'd grieve within the circle & ground-to-pacify the sorrow when the circle is grounded at the end.

If the standard circle ritual form is used then the four-directions are acknowledged, deity is invited, the candle-memorial done, followed by a wine & cakes meal shared with portions for deity, the deceased & you. You eat yours & place the other 2 outside, directly on the ground after concluding the rite. Any leftover rosemary herb and ashes would be sprinkled into the wind at some point.

Don't use sage!!! It banishes spirits which isn't polite at a memorial.
Thanks so much for your amazing response, this is perfect and thansk for your kind words.
intheflatfield

Post by intheflatfield »

Xiao Rong wrote:Very sorry for your loss. I also composed a ritual several years ago for a similar situation -- you can find it here.
Thanks so much.

Wow, that is an amazing read and think will use this, it is truly amazing. It actually made me smile at this difficult time.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”